Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Octavia Ann Esparza
OMG I PLANNED MY 2 weeks paid vacation home to Cali I needed this vacation now do to this virus rap my flight was canceled first of all not my fault my flight was canceled and yes my ticket is non refundable they could make special circumstances we didn’t plan for this after the way I was treated by 7 operators kiss my ... Priceline and American Airlines for doing nothing my vacation ruined I’m stuck in Arizona all I want is my ticket less than 200 dollars is that really going to break ur bank money hungry corporations Smh I’m going to get a refund somehow because I will never going threw Priceline or American Airlines
So, what happened? Did you make it to Columbia or did you get a refund/voucher?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
So, what happened? Did you make it to Columbia or did you get a refund/voucher?
I get it, but that would be Colombia.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99

Update: Checked this morning and was refunded (per the site, it hasn't hit my card) overnight. So 7 business days for the review to happen for me.
You are lucky. We requested a refund for three international tickets on 4/3 and they are still pending review.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Can someone point me to the online refund request page?

I had an award booking that had it's flights canceled. I went online, and canceled the booking, expecting a refund. But nothing has happened in 10 days. So I came here and it apepars that I need to request my refund.

Based on this thread I guess I need to request this refund. Since it is just AA miles I don't want to call and tie up phone lines, and I'm not in a rush.

All I can find on the website is a broken link to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

I had an award booking that had it's flights canceled. I went online, and canceled the booking, expecting a refund. But nothing has happened in 10 days. So I came here and it apepars that I need to request my refund.

Based on this thread I guess I need to request this refund. Since it is just AA miles I don't want to call and tie up phone lines, and I'm not in a rush.

All I can find on the website is a broken link to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
The link isn't broken. However, it only handles refunds for cash tickets. To get miles redeposited to your account you have to call AA. Not a great system but that's how it works.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Stripe
The link isn't broken. However, it only handles refunds for cash tickets. To get miles redeposited to your account you have to call AA. Not a great system but that's how it works.
It appears to be working for me now, but it wasn't earlier.

Thanks for the advice, at least I know that's what I need to do then.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
[QUOTE=... Priceline and American Airlines for doing nothing my vacation ruined I’m stuck in Arizona all I want is my ticket less than 200 dollars is that really going to break ur bank money hungry corporations Smh I’m going to get a refund somehow because I will never going threw Priceline or American Airlines[/QUOTE]

The Priceline bidding platform has never been of much help in the event of anything going askew. Even if it is an error that is somehow their fault. MAYBE if you are leaving tomorrow and buying a one-way ticket it makes sense if it saves quite a bit, but that is about it. You are normally far better off paying slightly more and booking direct.

It was economically feasible to bid and self-insure in it's early days circa 2000-ish. Rather than openly cutting published price, travel product was being back-channel dumped on Priceline for literal pennies on the dollar. But that was a travel recession. More recently it was a travel boom, and made little sense because you didn't usually save much, and your transaction still didn't belong to the airline/hotel. So as you found they were not the party to give you relief, and third parties are hard to pin down, .

But who knows? After all this is over we are likely to be in a travel recession again.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by jlampert
I requested 3 cancelled flight refunds on 4/5. Two at noon for 1K+ tickets and one at 12:30 for $100. I just received word that the $100 ticket has been refunded but the two expensive tickets are still pending review even though they were submitted first...
I wouldn’t be surprised if they have automated refunds for smaller value tickets and using manual resources just to review more expensive ones. I submitted $5k worth of international tix on 4/7 and it still says “pending review”.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by bosman
Thanks; posts like this help me know my request isn't an outlier. My refund submitted Apr 7, still Pending Review.
Received email this morning that my refund request was approved. So another +/- 7 business days data point. YMMV
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Originally Posted by Stripe
Award can also be redeposited via AA Twitter DM.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP 2MM, Sixt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bosman
Received email this morning that my refund request was approved. So another +/- 7 business days data point. YMMV
You're doing a lot better than I am. Two sets of tickets; one submitted March 14th and approved soon thereafter, but *still* waiting for the eVouchers, and the second set submitted 28th March, still showing "Pending Review". Doesn't seem to be any logic as to why some requests are taking longer than others. The worst thing is that I need to use the credit to rebook in August and currently can't. Because the original tickets were booked in November 2019, the window for being able to use the eventual eVouchers will be up before I know it (as I understand they are valid for 1 year from the date of the original purchase?)... And no-one at AA seems to know what is going on other than "they're backed-up". The AA twitter team were of zero help (and essentially ghosted me after their first very unhelpful reply), and calls to AA - even when the agent has spoken to their helpdesk - have got absolutely nowhere.

By comparison, BA provided vouchers in 7 business days (which is what they said they'd do), and JetBlue were pretty much instantaneous.

I don't think it's reasonable to wait an completely unknown length of time with zero feedback. I've reached out to customer relations - so let's see what they say - but at some point I'm going to go further up the food chain at AA to see if we can't get this moving.

BTW - it's been mentioned that someone else got a call from the AA Executive Liaison department (?) - I did too, to ask how things were going... which they typically do about once a year. Well I told them about the refunds issue, they weren't helpful at all.... not sure what the point of calling was if it was just to listen and not actually do anything about my experience with AA...
asnovici likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've had some differing experiences. Originally canceled an award ticket where the flight was still scheduled and they promptly returned miles and refunded fees/taxes. That was a month ago.
After the April 5th schedule changes, I called to cancel a future flight that had been canceled (swapped from nonstop to connection) and they were also happy to process refund. However, it's now been 11 days and no refund. When I go to the "prefunds" page to check on the status, it doesn't even show as being in process/reviewed.
I called and also inquired on Twitter and they have assured me the refund has been requested, but will just take some extra time. I wonder how long "extra time" will be.
Similar scenarios with Alaska and BA and funds were back on my card in a few days.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
Originally Posted by ajf87
American for whatever reason has been fairly bad at keeping customers abreast of schedule changes. I had travel for late May on three separate reservations (one Web Special, two cash, all domestic one-ways, five flights total). Two flights were canceled and one was moved 3 1/2 hours. Not even an email about an itinerary change, I didn't see this until I was looking in my app and saw two segments no longer existed.

However - canceling and getting the refund and mileage redeposit took all of 10 minutes and there was no wait times or fees. And they went ahead and refunded a one-way that technically should have been a voucher, since the change was within four hours, when they could have griefed me. They were very accommodating, and the miles were redeposited instantly. I expect the refunds will be quicker than the 7-12 business days they claimed. I do have Platinum, I'm not sure if that made a difference in my wait time or overall experience. 6.9.0
I am certain your Platinum status is what expedited your refund. The rest of us are "pending review" for over 7 days.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've had some differing experiences. Originally canceled an award ticket where the flight was still scheduled and they promptly returned miles and refunded fees/taxes. That was a month ago.
After the April 5th schedule changes, I called to cancel a future flight that had been canceled (swapped from nonstop to connection) and they were also happy to process refund. However, it's now been 11 days and no refund. When I go to the "prefunds" page to check on the status, it doesn't even show as being in process/reviewed.
I called and also inquired on Twitter and they have assured me the refund has been requested, but will just take some extra time. I wonder how long "extra time" will be.
Similar scenarios with Alaska and BA and funds were back on my card in a few days.
Well I have been "pending review" now for 7 days. Makes you wonder what is going on at AA???? If other airlines can process a refund in a few days why can't AA? There website guarantees that refunds will post to your credit card within 7 days. Ha.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP 2MM, Sixt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edfisher
I am certain your Platinum status is what expedited your refund. The rest of us are "pending review" for over 7 days.
It seems there are others on this thread with EXP status that have not seen any favorable treatment from AA unfortunately.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.