Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edfisher
Well I have been "pending review" now for 7 days. Makes you wonder what is going on at AA???? If other airlines can process a refund in a few days why can't AA? There website guarantees that refunds will post to your credit card within 7 days. Ha.
I hate to be suspicious, but I do wonder if it has anything to do with the value of the tickets. My prior refunds were all fairly small but the one I'm waiting on is several thousand dollars. I don't know if it's a concerted effort to slow-pay the refunds on higher value tickets or just simply an overwhelmed system.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP 2MM, Sixt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I hate to be suspicious, but I do wonder if it has anything to do with the value of the tickets. My prior refunds were all fairly small but the one I'm waiting on is several thousand dollars. I don't know if it's a concerted effort to slow-pay the refunds on higher value tickets or just simply an overwhelmed system.
This is a decent theory... My first set of 5 ticket refunds though were each under $125 and I've been waiting for a month! The second set are $900 each, and that's been going on for coming up to 3 weeks. I feel like $125 is a very low bar for slow rolling.

I would say it's a cash flow issue, but my refunds were for eVouchers!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I received notice of my refund this morning (10 day turnaround). The email said "Refunded to Mastercard ending in xxxx". Problem is, I paid with my Visa, and I don't own a credit card with the last 4 digits of xxxx. Anybody have this happen to them? Debating if I need to call now or wait and see if credit shows up on my CC.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Wife and I had an AA reservation where BA cancelled the flight, thus making it eligible for a refund. Called AA to confirm, agent agreed, told me to submit request online which I did. When I submitted online, it said the total sale amount was $38. I actually paid $3,775 per ticket. Called AA back and the agent asked if my screen said "manual review required" which it did. She said it was due to my ticket being re-issued at some point (it was) and that the manual review will adjust the refund to the correct amount. Anyone have this happen to them and did you get the correct amount back or should I be prepared for a fight?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Closing out data points

Two refund request submitted 5APR thru refunds site. 5APR was when AA loaded schedule change.
Refund completed email received 15APR
Credit appeared on Chase VISA 17APR.

I had another set of refunds submitted late March due to last minute AA flight changes and those were refunded in 5 days.

As indicated before, 5APR was a schedule change so very likely there was a surge in refunds starting that date.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:02 am

Took about 10 days for mine to get past review also. I got an email this morning saying it had been refunded to my credit card. But it hasn't shown up on the card yet.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Applied apr7, got email today that my refunds were approved (apr17). Not too bad for the current situation.
Both involved cancelllations by the operating carrier (AA, BA and IB). Tickets were 001/AA.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:20 am
THR

Originally Posted by BobOscar
Took about 10 days for mine to get past review also. I got an email this morning saying it had been refunded to my credit card. But it hasn't shown up on the card yet.
Give it a few days.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Looked at our October trip from LAS to ORD to FCO and the return VCE to PHL to LAS all in PE. Saw both TALT legs were canceled and called for a refund last Friday. Got the "we can call you back message" and they did within 10 minutes and it was quickly taken care of with the caveat that it is taking 7 to 10 biz days for these things to get processed. Just looked again now and both refunds are approved and credited to my Visa card. I expect it will take a few days to show up in my account but no one can complain about 7 days. I had to cancel some hotel bookings in Alaska with Princess Lodges and they are now running 60 days, after telling 7 to 10 days 35 days ago.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Is there refund status when done by agent

I had 2 international award flights and one paid-for domestic flight, all cancelled on phone. Agent told me amounts to be refunded to my credit card, amounts were correct, credit card number was correct.
Does this still has to go via some check/authorization ??
Is there a way to see status in my AA account when done by an agent ??
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
As data point, I had a canceled itinerary that was paid via e-gift card, and credit card
04/07 applied for refund
04/16 confirmation email received
04/17 new e-gift card emailed
04/18 credit card refund is received/noted on my account, thought it is date 04/16

Altogether 9 days, and this one involved multiple payment options.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Cancelled two award tickets TPA-LHR and return. Miles were refunded within 24 hours. Repayment of taxes etc took 7 working days. Refund showed up as having been cleared/approved and then another 2 days for credit to actually appear on my credit card account. Do basically 2 weeks from cancellation to seeing money in account.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:51 am

Cancelled two award tickets in Business class TPA-LHR and return. Miles were refunded within 24 hours. Repayment of taxes etc took 7 working days. Refund showed up as having been cleared/approved and then another 2 days for credit to actually appear on my credit card account. Do basically 2 weeks from cancellation to seeing money in account.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:52 am

Cancelled two award tickets in Business class TPA-LHR and return. Miles were refunded within 24 hours. Repayment of taxes etc took 7 working days. Refund showed up as having been cleared/approved and then another 2 days for credit to actually appear on my credit card account. So basically 2 weeks from cancellation to seeing money in account.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My refund took 11-12 days from submit to approved, and another 24-48 hours to show on my credit card account. I applied for the refund around April 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.