Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Something new for me this year.

EXP with nearly $20,000 EQDs from last year, already approaching 50,000 EQMs and $9,000 EQDs for 2019.

Booked a trip with wife to FCO back in January for Apr 7 returning Apr 21. Got us C upgrades at booking on flight out using SWUs, but was wait-listed for return (FCO-ORD) on 787-8. For two months Expert Flyer has shown plenty of availability in C, so I figured no problem on the 21st return for using two more SWUs. Then last week I did a quick check, and noticed a plane change to the 787-8 retrofit with Premium Economy, and that our seats had changed (MCE on original plane).

Now the plane change isn't what was new. It was that whomever reassigned passengers with the new layout decided to put my wife and I into the new PE section rather than back in the MCE part of economy. Not complaining, just found it interesting and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

Also as expected with changing to a plane with 8 less business class seats, the # of available seats nearly vanished. Now down to 5 open, so still good odds on that return to ORD, but not as good as the 15 that were available before!
Sorry to hear about the equipment change. Cheap Parker is yanking out J seats while his competitors are adding them.

That being said that new PE looks very nice.
acoburn73 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Something new for me this year.

EXP with nearly $20,000 EQDs from last year, already approaching 50,000 EQMs and $9,000 EQDs for 2019.

Booked a trip with wife to FCO back in January for Apr 7 returning Apr 21. Got us C upgrades at booking on flight out using SWUs, but was wait-listed for return (FCO-ORD) on 787-8. For two months Expert Flyer has shown plenty of availability in C, so I figured no problem on the 21st return for using two more SWUs. Then last week I did a quick check, and noticed a plane change to the 787-8 retrofit with Premium Economy, and that our seats had changed (MCE on original plane).

Now the plane change isn't what was new. It was that whomever reassigned passengers with the new layout decided to put my wife and I into the new PE section rather than back in the MCE part of economy. Not complaining, just found it interesting and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

Also as expected with changing to a plane with 8 less business class seats, the # of available seats nearly vanished. Now down to 5 open, so still good odds on that return to ORD, but not as good as the 15 that were available before!
Yea, this is standard AA protocol when they are updating their fleet like they are with the 788. AA isn't selling PE on that flight, so you still are getting Economy service just in a PE seat. AA offers the PE section as MCE in these scenarios, same thing happened with the 77W's, 772's, and 332's when they were getting updated with PE. It's a great little perk if you happen onto one of these flights, and takes the edge off of a possible SWU not clearing.
acoburn73 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Looking for some recent info regarding any experience being upgraded on these routes:

DFW-MIA (772)
MIA-STI

STI-MIA
MIA-DFW (772)

Of particular interest are the MIA-STI-MIA flight segments as the Y cabins (and F/J cabins) are wide open for my trip next month, Just wondering if the flights would be instead canceled.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Apr 3, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, this is standard AA protocol when they are updating their fleet like they are with the 788. AA isn't selling PE on that flight, so you still are getting Economy service just in a PE seat. AA offers the PE section as MCE in these scenarios, same thing happened with the 77W's, 772's, and 332's when they were getting updated with PE. It's a great little perk if you happen onto one of these flights, and takes the edge off of a possible SWU not clearing.
Good to know.

Any ideas on how AA determines who gets moved into those on a change to a retrofitted plane?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know.

Any ideas on how AA determines who gets moved into those on a change to a retrofitted plane?
AA's computers process equipment changes like this, and it can be all over the map. Sometimes you will keep the same seat number, i.e 8A stays 8A, sometimes you'll get an equivalent seat, i.e. aisle to aisle, and other times youll go from say a MCE aisle to row 100 middle. There's certainly no standard protocol, although if the same seat number is available you will usually end up there, although not always.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA's computers process equipment changes like this, and it can be all over the map. Sometimes you will keep the same seat number, i.e 8A stays 8A, sometimes you'll get an equivalent seat, i.e. aisle to aisle, and other times youll go from say a MCE aisle to row 100 middle. There's certainly no standard protocol, although if the same seat number is available you will usually end up there, although not always.
That's how ours ended up - same seat numbers that just happened to be in the retrofitted PE section.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
My friend is traveling this Saturday MIA-MAD as PLT. He requested miles+copay. If it doesn't clear, do GAs provide comp upgrades to W for elites? W looks like it has a lot of availability. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:55 am

The lack of icon was what worried me. Before I could call to check, though, I got an EF alert that there was 1 C seat available, and called to have the upgrade processed. Still not sure if I had been on the waitlist or not, but guess that doesn't matter as much now!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
My friend is traveling this Saturday MIA-MAD as PLT. He requested miles+copay. If it doesn't clear, do GAs provide comp upgrades to W for elites? W looks like it has a lot of availability. Thanks!
This is now a moot point. Flight was J7 I7 yesterday and J4 I3 this morning. Got an EF alert at lunch and saw it was C3. He called and had the upgrade processed right away (thankfully they didn’t give him the “you’re on the list - wait for it to process” nonsense)..Oddly, the W cabin filled up overnight which is weird.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
The systemwide upgrade is shown available for my flight segment LHR-JFK from Business to First on aa.com with the icon and hyperlink. So I immediately called, but agent told me not available and can be waitlisted. Then checked immediately EF, my routing being BUD-LHR-JFK A3 but same date, time and flight if routing only LHR-JFK then A0 ... thought this is an issue only with EF, but didn’t know aa also gives incorrect info.

Last edited by LHSEN; Apr 6, 2019 at 2:35 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHSEN
The systemwide upgrade is shown available for my flight segment LHR-JFK from Business to First on aa.com with the icon and hyperlink. So I immediately called, but agent told me not available and can be waitlisted. Then checked immediately EF, my routing being BUD-LHR-JFK A3 but same date, time and flight if routing only LHR-JFK then A0 ... thought this is an issue only with EF, but didn’t know aa also gives incorrect info.
When this issue comes up, the folks at EF always say that when searching connecting itineraries for upgrade space, AA's system will sometimes return bogus false positive results, and that is what EF is reporting. Basically EF is working fine and just reporting the (wrong) results that AA's system returns. In that sense it makes sense (in a bad way) that AA.com also shows the bogus results.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
what's the time frame for upgrades been lately for LAX-HKG and reverse for an EXP?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hey all,

So for my flights from CLT-GIG are wait listed for three SWUs on 4-10 (we are in PE), EF is showing J2 R2 D2 I2 W1 P1 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0. Seat map (which I know is not reliable) is showing 6-7 seats in B/C "available." How would folks interpret this data past the obvious that AA is willing to sell 2 seats in B/C, 1 seat in P/E and 0 seats in Coach? Trying to "read the tea leaves" on this!

Safe Travels and TYIA!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hey all,

So for my flights from CLT-GIG are wait listed for three SWUs on 4-10 (we are in PE), EF is showing J2 R2 D2 I2 W1 P1 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0. Seat map (which I know is not reliable) is showing 6-7 seats in B/C "available." How would folks interpret this data past the obvious that AA is willing to sell 2 seats in B/C, 1 seat in P/E and 0 seats in Coach? Trying to "read the tea leaves" on this!

Safe Travels and TYIA!
Could mean 4-5 have purchased business tickets but haven't selected seats yet. Or Y may be overbooked, and AA is reducing J inventory to accomodate potential cabin rolls.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Talking

Originally Posted by Austin787
Could mean 4-5 have purchased business tickets but haven't selected seats yet. Or Y may be overbooked, and AA is reducing J inventory to accomodate potential cabin rolls.
Well FWIW, EF is now J1 R1 D1 I1 W0 P0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0
G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0. Seat Map still shows 6 seats available and one seat blocked in B/C Looking like AA may be preparing to roll into BC. Rolling us into BC and not deducting SWUs is just fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.