Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
So someone would have to have EF for this to know there is C inventory and if so a non status flyer can get an upgrade with no regards to status?

What happens if someone who is gold but doesn’t have EF where will they be on the upgrade list at the gate at T-4?
Someone wouldn't have to have EF, necessarily. They could just call and ask.

If it's C7, there are at least 7 confirmable business upgrades available. It's not unlikely that a bunch of people have already cleared off the waitlist. If a non-status flyer calls in and asks about doing a Miles + Co-Pay upgrade at this point, it will clear. I've actually found AA to be reasonably good about clearing the waitlist into C inventory as it is released (i.e. minimal lag between release of space and system confirming upgrade requests already made...of course there are exceptions), so if EF is showing C7, there are likely more upgrades available than there are people who have requested them at that point. A Gold or non-status passenger can grab the space, and most likely wouldn't be taking it from a higher status passenger already on the wait list (because they have likely cleared or will in the matter of a few minutes when the system processes the upgrade).

At the gate, someone who is Gold would be in their normal priority spot on the airport upgrade list, which is prioritized largely the same as the pre-airport upgrade list, but which is a totally different thing, and has nothing to do with whether the flight was C7 a week out. I mean, if the flight is still C7 up to T-4, there's no one at that point who has requested an upgrade and hasn't gotten it.
JJeffrey likes this.

Last edited by DMPHL; May 1, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Someone wouldn't have to have EF, necessarily. They could just call and ask.

If it's C7, there are at least 7 confirmable business upgrades available. It's not unlikely that a bunch of people have already cleared off the waitlist. If a non-status flyer calls in and asks about doing a Miles + Co-Pay upgrade at this point, it will clear. I've actually found AA to be reasonably good about clearing the waitlist into C inventory as it is released (i.e. minimal lag between release of space and system confirming upgrade requests already made...of course there are exceptions), so if EF is showing C7, there are likely more upgrades available than there are people who have requested them at that point. A Gold or non-status passenger can grab the space, and most likely wouldn't be taking it from a higher status passenger already on the wait list (because they have likely cleared or will in the matter of a few minutes when the system processes the upgrade).

At the gate, someone who is Gold would be in their normal priority spot on the airport upgrade list, which is prioritized largely the same as the pre-airport upgrade list, but which is a totally different thing, and has nothing to do with whether the flight was C7 a week out. I mean, if the flight is still C7 up to T-4, there's no one at that point who has requested an upgrade.
Thanks for a civil response.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
So someone would have to have EF for this to know there is C inventory and if so a non status flyer can get an upgrade with no regards to status?

What happens if someone who is gold but doesn’t have EF where will they be on the upgrade list at the gate at T-4?
In general, though not quite always, if a flight is C7 then it means that everyone should have already cleared from the waitlist. The exception occurs when a flight has only just gone C7 and the waitlist hasn't yet been processed – we don't know how often that happens, but it does happen ... most often when it is C1 or C2.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
My wife and I are booked on AA136 LAX-LHR on Friday 6/21 and waitlisted for Y>J on miles + copay. I'm Plat Pro and she's Plat. Currently J7/C0 with 28 open business seats (not that surprising 7 weeks out). I'm assuming C space probably won't open up until a couple days beforehand based on earlier responses. Anyone have experience with the Friday night LAX-LHR flights and have a guess as to our chances?
Old May 2, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jcain
My wife and I are booked on AA136 LAX-LHR on Friday 6/21 and waitlisted for Y>J on miles + copay. I'm Plat Pro and she's Plat. Currently J7/C0 with 28 open business seats (not that surprising 7 weeks out). I'm assuming C space probably won't open up until a couple days beforehand based on earlier responses. Anyone have experience with the Friday night LAX-LHR flights and have a guess as to our chances?
These days, LAX-LHR is releasing C inventory at T-36 or T-35. For the last few LAX-LHR trips I've done it's gone to C7 at that point, though on my last two Friday night flights it's only gone to C4 (with more C inventory being released later in the day beforehand).
Old May 2, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by potus18
These days, LAX-LHR is releasing C inventory at T-36 or T-35. For the last few LAX-LHR trips I've done it's gone to C7 at that point, though on my last two Friday night flights it's only gone to C4 (with more C inventory being released later in the day beforehand).
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Some data points from last week of travel, platinum pro.

4/28: DCA-PHL-DFW-ONT: cleared first leg 72 hours out, #5 of 25 and 6 of 15 on list for the last two.

5/1: ONT-DFW-ORD-DCA: 5 of 10 on the first leg: 10 of 45 on the second: cleared 3rd leg at 72 hours. Returned via Chicago to try and upgrade on the a 787, top two in the list did clear.

5/4: DCA-BOS: SDFC to an earlier flight, #2 on the list no one cleared. Figured this would be an easy clear on a Saturday and it was e90 and not 319.

5/6: BOS-DCA: cleared at 72.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jcain
Although it is usually 2-3 days beforehand, I have known my upgrades clear at 4-5 weeks before on this route, and at points in between. So, although I wouldn't expect it early, it wouldn't be that surprised if it did! AA know best how that flight loads and how it loads in relation to the other LAX-LHR flights.

But inventory management is a weird thing - LHR-PHX generally has fewer than 10 J seats taken a week or so before the flight, but C only opens up a day or so before the flight, and there seem to be only 2-3 people on the waitlist. On the day of travel it tends to fill up (non-revs or ToDs upgrades I guess). You'd expect them to open C (or even U) much earlier, but that seems very rare.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:30 am

Upgrade for award ticket

Just booked an award RT ticket between JFK-MXP for the memorial day weekend (outbound 5/24, inbound 5/27) on AA198/199 for a quick weekend getaway.
What are the chances of upgrade on this route? So far showing C0 for both legs about 3 weeks out.
I'm hoping this route is mostly leisure travelers and not CK heavy so I won't be too low in the upgrade priority. I'm an EXP with $25k rolling EQD
I have MCE seats selected both ways, but am hoping to at least score premium economy seats both ways if J is full
Thanks
Old May 5, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bszeto
Just booked an award RT ticket between JFK-MXP for the memorial day weekend (outbound 5/24, inbound 5/27) on AA198/199 for a quick weekend getaway.
What are the chances of upgrade on this route? So far showing C0 for both legs about 3 weeks out.
I'm hoping this route is mostly leisure travelers and not CK heavy so I won't be too low in the upgrade priority. I'm an EXP with $25k rolling EQD
I have MCE seats selected both ways, but am hoping to at least score premium economy seats both ways if J is full
Thanks
The only way you can really upgrade to business on an international award ticket is if U space opens up and you pay extra miles. Even if C space opens up, that doesn’t necessarily mean U space will.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

The only way you can really upgrade to business on an international award ticket is if U space opens up and you pay extra miles. Even if C space opens up, that doesn’t necessarily mean U space will.
I thought EXP is eligible for upgrade to award tickets as well, but I've never done this before
Old May 5, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bszeto
I thought EXP is eligible for upgrade to award tickets as well, but I've never done this before
EXP's are eligible for upgrades on award tickets on flights where the complimentary/500 mile upgrade system is in place (essentially shorthaul). JFK-MXP (or any other international longhaul) is not included.

-----

That said - EXPs do get access to Premium Economy seats with 24 hours of departure, if any are available, and the system is behaving itself. I've not seen any reports of information about if this works on award tickets or not. Would be curious to know.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
EXP's are eligible for upgrades on award tickets on flights where the complimentary/500 mile upgrade system is in place (essentially shorthaul). JFK-MXP (or any other international longhaul) is not included.

-----

That said - EXPs do get access to Premium Economy seats with 24 hours of departure, if any are available, and the system is behaving itself. I've not seen any reports of information about if this works on award tickets or not. Would be curious to know.
I would be content with PEY seat if it's indeed available. Will report back. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Originally Posted by Ready2SailAway
Will be flying LAX-HKG on AA then HKG-TPE on CX in 5wks, and need 14,381 base miles to make 2MM. Seats in Economy (Flexible fare) are available, but would have to waitlist for that 25K miles + $350 upgrade each way to Business for LAX-HKG on AA. I really don't want to fly LAX-HKG in Economy, so would prefer to purchase only when I know the upgrade is available.

So here are my questions -feedback & advise will be greatly appreciated:
  1. Will I earn at least 14,381 base miles with AA & CX in Economy?
  2. What are the odds of upgrades opening up well in advance of my trip, so I can book in Economy then upgrade all at once? (there's currently around 30 open seats each way in Business)
  3. If waiting isn't a good option, then what are my chances for snagging those upgrades before my trip if I book in Economy now and waitlist? (Ticket price approx $2150, I'm AA Gold, 1MM, 2018: 37K EQM / $6K EQD, 2019: 0 EQM/EQD)

1. Most CX-marketed flights don’t earn any miles for economy. That said, LAX-HKG-LAX is 14,520 miles, so you should reach your EQM target (but not much room for error).
2. Probably not likely.
3. This will depend on when and on what day you are flying. It would help if you were flying around holidays when there is less business travel.

$2150 seems high for economy. Have you checked what the price of a premium economy ticket? Also, if business is essential, I would consider outright buying business from a different point of departure (e.g., YVR) and have a separate positioning ticket. I would also search flights to TSA, which opens up more options on JL.
Originally Posted by Ready2SailAway
So here are my questions -feedback & advise will be greatly appreciated:

Thanks for your insight -to keep within my travel budget, I booked Economy LAX-HKG-TPE, and Business for the return (actually cheaper than the other way around). For whatever reason AA wasn't allowing me to book this way previously, but on Monday this mixed itin opened up so I snagged it. Checked again since then and no longer available...

Called AA to waitlist for the outbound upgrade -there's still plenty of J inventory, so come on upgrade!
It is often the case that business class is cheaper depending on where you're originating. It's why, for example, YVR-LAX-HKG could be several thousand dollars cheaper than LAX-HKG.

Good luck with the upgrade. I've generally had pretty good luck with LAX-HKG, but I wouldn't expect the upgrade to clear until closer to departure.
Spoke again to an AA rep -said my upgrade chances as Gold were pretty low with only 25% J inventory remaining for my outbound itinerary LAX-HKG-TPE.

Fortunately the price in J for that outbound itinerary decreased (actually $12 less than what I paid in economy), so now I'm booked in J for my entire trip -nice way to break 2M miles!

Last edited by Ready2SailAway; May 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm Reason: grammar correction
Old May 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

I'm T-14 for DFW-NRT tomorrow with no luck so far. Looks like there are still 2 seats available for sale, so holding out some very slim hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.