Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
My J class SWU for Flt 106 JFK>LHR tomorrow cleared around T-34. This flight was showing pretty wide open in J for the past few weeks so I was optimistic that a Friday night flight would clear. EF is still showing J5.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I had a weird chance to watch an upgrade happen in real time.

Am booked on a MIA-PHX flight and all non-stops for the day are zeroed out (which struck me as odd) so I wasn't optimistic about this one.

I have EF alerts set up, but often check manually given the periodic nature of the way EF works.

Yesterday, I checked and saw my flight was J1.

I went to aa.com to see what the fare was to see if it was worth doing an upfare, but AA showed no availability. I went back to EF and ran the search again and now it was J0.

I joked to myself "wouldn't it be funny if I was just upgraded?" and I, with my foolish optimism, checked the AA app and, sure enough, I saw my seat assignment was gone! I clicked on the Upgrades button and it now showed confirmed!

No seat assignment was made, so I went ahead and took the only open seat (not sure if AA would have done that automatically, but wasn't going to risk it).

A few minutes later, I received the "Your upgrade is confirmed" email showing my seat assignment I just made.

EXP with 24K rolling EQD.

It's nice when the system works as it should (sad when it's the exception and not the norm).
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Apr 12, 2019 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Regarding my PBI woes earlier, upcoming flight

PHL-PBI (cleared at 100 hours)

Surprising because the back of the plane shows maybe one or two seats open. I cleared into one of the 2 F seats that hadn't yet been sold. Figured i'd sweat it out while AA waited for someone to buy those last two F seats.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Regarding my PBI woes earlier, upcoming flight

PHL-PBI (cleared at 100 hours)

Surprising because the back of the plane shows maybe one or two seats open. I cleared into one of the 2 F seats that hadn't yet been sold. Figured i'd sweat it out while AA waited for someone to buy those last two F seats.
Spring break week travel. Not a lot of elites around.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Interesting week...4/8 original plan DCA-LGA-TYS, cleared first two legs at 72 hrs.

Rebooked via the app (very conveniently I’d add) due to weather DCA-PHL-TYS, cleared on first leg at change and second flight only a main cabin.

4/12 TYS-LGA-DCA both cleared at 72 hours. Changed to TYS-CLT-IAD day before, second leg cleared at booking under 24h.

Arrived at TYS with weather delays affecting all flights, stood by on direct DCA flight. 51st passenger of 50 and back on TYS-CLT-DCA.

TYS-CLT has no more than ten non revs but what I gathered were very grumpy passengers. They upgraded everyone to the front though two disgruntled men sat in the first row of economy as protest. They had been constantly arguing with the gate agent about the actual weather and they didn’t deserve anything. I was the only one looking for a PDB and the FA delivered, interesting flight.

CLT was pretty backed up, but thankfully that allowed me to make my connection at #2 on the list, and 3 seats cleared at boarding. Weirdly, the door was shut with 1 seat open. The door was shut for almost 15 mins before they opened it and some guy sat down in 1D. Thought it was strange they didn’t move somebody up once they shut the door.

This week, I’ve already cleared for DCA-PHL-DCA. For regional flights my clearing rate is pretty high at PP, often at 72 hours.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:18 am

CDG-DFW AA49 4/21 SWU cleared at T-100 hours as EXP with low EQD. J cabin looks quite open.
econometrics likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mikhailm
CDG-DFW AA49 4/21 SWU cleared at T-100 hours as EXP with low EQD. J cabin looks quite open.
Thanks for this. We don’t see a lot of data points on this route. But I’ve heard it can be a tough upgrade, especially in summer.
mikhailm likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
DFW-HKG better to use copay miles or business extra cert?

Hello all. Booked just today PE DFW-HKG on April 28. IM a ppro 12 month eqd about 12k. I waitlisted copay miles but wondering if I should use a business extra certificate. Are the chances better with that?

Also flying back HKG-LAX May 2. Same PE and waitlisted. Thank you everyone.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by wireless_999
Hello all. Booked just today PE DFW-HKG on April 28. IM a ppro 12 month eqd about 12k. I waitlisted copay miles but wondering if I should use a business extra certificate. Are the chances better with that?

Also flying back HKG-LAX May 2. Same PE and waitlisted. Thank you everyone.
Chances are the same -- same C bucket needs to be available.

And Business Extra has two added wrinkles that lower your odds: (1) if C availability pops up and you have an ExpertFlyer alert set, the Meeting Services agents are much less likely to be able or willing to "push it through" compared to a regular AA agent on a miles upgrade; and (2) Meeting Services has limited phone hours, so if C pops up when they're closed and your waitlist doesn't clear automatically, you're sort of out of luck.

Of course, the odds of these events may not be very high, but they aren't issues at all with miles/copay.
wireless_999 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I had a weird chance to watch an upgrade happen in real time.

Am booked on a MIA-PHX flight and all non-stops for the day are zeroed out (which struck me as odd) so I wasn't optimistic about this one.

I have EF alerts set up, but often check manually given the periodic nature of the way EF works.

Yesterday, I checked and saw my flight was J1.

I went to aa.com to see what the fare was to see if it was worth doing an upfare, but AA showed no availability. I went back to EF and ran the search again and now it was J0.

I joked to myself "wouldn't it be funny if I was just upgraded?" and I, with my foolish optimism, checked the AA app and, sure enough, I saw my seat assignment was gone! I clicked on the Upgrades button and it now showed confirmed!

No seat assignment was made, so I went ahead and took the only open seat (not sure if AA would have done that automatically, but wasn't going to risk it).

A few minutes later, I received the "Your upgrade is confirmed" email showing my seat assignment I just made.

EXP with 24K rolling EQD.

It's nice when the system works as it should (sad when it's the exception and not the norm).
This happens to me all the time, not sure what the exception is - where I book within the window and J>1 I'm fairly certain I'm 100% upgraded prior to ticketing occurring or immediately after. My EQD isn't that high either.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Globalist, Bonvoy - Gold, Hilton - Gold
Curious if there are any recent EXP who cleared LAX-LHR with mileage upgrade and/or BXP3? Traveling LAX to LHR in late May and back in early June. Have only flown these routes and been upgraded previously as a Plat so curious if EXP's are clearing on this route in advance...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by apschneider84
Curious if there are any recent EXP who cleared LAX-LHR with mileage upgrade and/or BXP3? Traveling LAX to LHR in late May and back in early June. Have only flown these routes and been upgraded previously as a Plat so curious if EXP's are clearing on this route in advance...
I do this route regularly and have never not cleared - SWU or miles - and they've always cleared a few days before (or more). I had one recently that cleared at ticketing (4 weeks before the flight).

On the other hand I usually book 1-2 weeks before and can look to see how full the flight is - I do tend to avoid days when upgrades look unlikely, but you can't do this when booking more than a few weeks before (since most J sells in the 1-3 weeks prior).
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mikhailm
Originally Posted by econometrics

Thanks for this. We don’t see a lot of data points on this route. But I’ve heard it can be a tough upgrade, especially in summer.
Especially when they're putting a 788 with 19 J seats (20 less 1 for crew rest) on the route starting this summer!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I do this route regularly and have never not cleared - SWU or miles - and they've always cleared a few days before (or more). I had one recently that cleared at ticketing (4 weeks before the flight).

On the other hand I usually book 1-2 weeks before and can look to see how full the flight is - I do tend to avoid days when upgrades look unlikely, but you can't do this when booking more than a few weeks before (since most J sells in the 1-3 weeks prior).
I also do this route regularly and have also never not cleared it. Though these days, if not weeks/months before, it's usually at or around T-36. But at T-36 I've observed it go from C0 to C7 (sometimes C4 on busy Friday flights) consistently.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Plat with 12 month EQD of 6.5k. cleared at T-48 for LAX - TUS 4/18 and about T-30 for TUS - DFW 4/18. Pleasant surprised to see I got 2/5 flights upgraded on my 2 day trip.
I have a miles + copay request for LAX - SYD 7/3. crossing my fingers! 13 J seats remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.