FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey May 15, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by fls114 (Post 31102884)
EQM/EQD questions...help appreciated!

1. My flight from RDU-DFW was cancelled due to weather the other day. For me to still get to Tokyo on the expected date, I was re-booked through ORD. However, AA didn't have any seats RDU-ORD available so they booked me on UA. Will I still get my EQM/EQD? This was obviously out of my control and my payment still went to AA. I'm getting so close to Plat that I don't want to miss those miles, but guessing I'm screwed here.

2. I booked this trip as RDU-DFW-NRT-HND-SYD-LAX-CLT-RDU through AA. The HND-SYD portion was on Qantas and ticketed as QF 26. Do I understand right that this means .50 EQMs? Do those take longer to post?

3. Also, likely irrelevant, but with my HND-SYD diversion to CNS, do I get credit for an extra segment? :D

1) You can still get miles for the RDU-ORD, when you get back send an email to customer service, or call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). You need to request Original Routing Credit (ORC), and you can ask for the RDU-DFW-NRT to be posted if you want rather than just RDU-ORD. When you request it, do not mention anything about the reason for delay, just say your RDU-DFW was cancelled and you were rebooked through ORD on UA.

2) That all depends on what fare class you purchased. Most discount economy on QF earns at .5 EQM however higher classes earn more. You can verify at the below QF earning chart at aa.com. Partner flights typically take longer to post, though not all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

3) lol, no.

fls114 May 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31103323)
1) You can still get miles for the RDU-ORD, when you get back send an email to customer service, or call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). You need to request Original Routing Credit (ORC), and you can ask for the RDU-DFW-NRT to be posted if you want rather than just RDU-ORD. When you request it, do not mention anything about the reason for delay, just say your RDU-DFW was cancelled and you were rebooked through ORD on UA.

2) That all depends on what fare class you purchased. Most discount economy on QF earns at .5 EQM however higher classes earn more. You can verify at the below QF earning chart at aa.com. Partner flights typically take longer to post, though not all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

3) lol, no.

Super helpful. Thank you!

bscooter26 May 16, 2019 10:56 am

I am looking into booking a TATL itinerary that in one direction is mostly AA Metal. I will probably be booking it by calling BA since it is several thousand dollars more expensive through AA, so my question is can I (try to) upgrade with miles by calling AA after I've booked it through BA?

JDiver May 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 31108096)
I am looking into booking a TATL itinerary that in one direction is mostly AA Metal. I will probably be booking it by calling BA since it is several thousand dollars more expensive through AA, so my question is can I (try to) upgrade with miles by calling AA after I've booked it through BA?

Probably not. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.

Anns76 May 16, 2019 12:12 pm

I’m asking for my dad. He has a platinum Select credit card. Can he use the lounges with this card or no?

bscooter26 May 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31108338)

Thanks. I swear I've seen that page tens of times and never noticed "Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y (excluding Military or Government fares) on American". So I'd have to be booked in American Y then, which is unlikely

I'll still ring AA after I book and see if it's possible, never hurts to try

MADPhil May 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Anns76 (Post 31108341)
I’m asking for my dad. He has a platinum Select credit card. Can he use the lounges with this card or no?

He cannot use that card for lounge admission though it does come with some travel benefits. The "Citi/AAdvantage Executive Word Elite MasterCard" with a $450 annual fee does come with Admirals Club membership.

cbrog9 May 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Booking Help

I want to make sure I'm looking at all of my options. I need to schedule a DFW-ICN RT Apr 9, 2020-Apr. 24, 2020 (dates flexible but this is preferred). I only have AA miles at the moment (125k AA miles).

I was looking for JAL J class seats from DFW-NRT/HND-GMP, and similar back, but Jal has basically nothing on those dates. It seems that with only AA miles my options are basically wait until 2 ish weeks before the trip for JAL J availability (120k miles RT), or do the nonstop Y class American flight from DFW-ICN? (65k miles) There is plenty of AA availability but I'd like a nicer seat if I can. Thank you for the help.

flyingeph12 May 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by cbrog9 (Post 31108457)
I want to make sure I'm looking at all of my options. I need to schedule a DFW-ICN RT Apr 9, 2020-Apr. 24, 2020 (dates flexible but this is preferred). I only have AA miles at the moment (125k AA miles).

I was looking for JAL J class seats from DFW-NRT/HND-GMP, and similar back, but Jal has basically nothing on those dates. It seems that with only AA miles my options are basically wait until 2 ish weeks before the trip for JAL J availability (120k miles RT), or do the nonstop Y class American flight from DFW-ICN? (65k miles) There is plenty of AA availability but I'd like a nicer seat if I can. Thank you for the help.

JAL J availability can certainly open up prior to 2 weeks before departure. Just keep checking back regularly. Right now, you can't even book something for 24 Apr 2020, since awards can only be booked 331 days in advance.

Mwenenzi May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

cbrog9 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by cbrog9 (Post 31108457)

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31108713)
JAL J availability can certainly open up prior to 2 weeks before departure. Just keep checking back regularly.
Right now, you can't even book something for 24 Apr 2020, since awards can only be booked 331 days in advance.

Look here-->

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

alaskaforlife May 16, 2019 5:19 pm

What drinks can I get in the Admirals Club for free? Like seriously, whenever I go to the SFO AA Club, I have no idea if the drinks are included or not. Centurion Lounge have free drinks. I'm super confused why AA Club is so bad and charges for everything. Even the snack offering is pathetic.

NYC Flyer May 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife (Post 31109203)
What drinks can I get in the Admirals Club for free? Like seriously, whenever I go to the SFO AA Club, I have no idea if the drinks are included or not. Centurion Lounge have free drinks. I'm super confused why AA Club is so bad and charges for everything. Even the snack offering is pathetic.

House wine, Budweiser (or similar) draught, well drinks (typically all institutional brands like McCormick, but occasionally a lower-priced brand sold at retail appears). House vodka with a mixer of some sort is usually pretty safe. Anything from the soda gun is complimentary. Bottled water and sparkling wine are not.

JJeffrey May 16, 2019 5:35 pm

It is perfectly fine to ask the bartender what is the complimentary offering for beer, wine, liquor, etc.

JDiver May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Not that long ago, NO alcoholic beverages were complimentary at the Admirals Club.

But see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-beverage.html

Of course, the Flagship Lounges offer a greater selection, and Flagship First Dining offers the most extensive.

rustum76 May 16, 2019 8:07 pm

I am travelling very frequently for last 12 months. I have earned my last 500 mile bonus on Nov 27, 2018. I have earned another 50k EQM's after that. Not sure why i am not getting any 500 mile upgrades since then. What i am missing? Please help.