FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

wrp96 May 3, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by DSM Flyer (Post 31062914)
Apologies for what I'm sure is a repeat question, but is it normal to be charged a fare difference for same day flight change when routing is different but origin and destination cities remain the same? Due to forecast storms at DFW this evening I was wanting to change my routing to a similar timed flight via PHX. No options were shown under SDFC in the AA app, and when I called the Gold line I was told it would be $500+ to change routing. FAQ on AA.com just says "origin and destination cities must remain the same".

Thanks in advance for any clarification, just wondering if I should HUCA or take my chances in DFW...

HUACA.

NJFlyer_HOHO May 3, 2019 2:45 pm

Apologies in advanced that this question has been asked...

I am going to HKG and HND in August and have some questions about lounge access.

Party of 3: Me: AA PPro and hold a Citi Exe Platinum (with Admiral's Club); Wife: No Status; Child (8 yo): No status

We will be arriving HKG from EWR on CX. We will just head to the hotel right after arrival. So, no need for lounge access.

We will then do HKG to NRT on CX a few days later in Y.

We will then do HND to JFK on JL a few days after that in Y.

So, what (if any) lounge access do we have in HKG (when we fly HKG-NRT) and HND (when we fly HND-JFK).

I understand that my Citi Ex Plt card's membership for AC is not recognized for partner's lounge. But what about my PPro status (Sapphire in OW)? I think I am allowed access. But since i have 1 additional adult and child (total of 3), how does that work? Would they only allow either me + my significant other or me + my child access, since the policy is to only allow 1 guest? Do you guys have experience traveling as a family and gained access to OW partners lounges in HKG and HND when only one of the family member as Sapphire or Emerald status?

Thanks in advance.

SpammersAreScum May 3, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31061942)

what I meant is that all AA long haul planes have direct aisle access for every seat (except 757).
BA has seats in pairs so if you have a window seat you have to step over someone

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31062146)
It depends on the aircraft. Some seat pairs actually do have aisle access, such as 20 A, E, F, K in the 747 with F. There are others. Most center and window seats do not have aisle access in wide body Club World seats, a few do. BAEC forum...

Ok, that makes more sense.

I flew BA Biz 747 MIA-LHR-MIA in UD 62A, a window seat which had its feet adjacent to the emergency exit. That meant no stepping over anyone or having meal service passed over anyone.
My Biz international experience is still pretty limited so I can't compare too many alternatives; that said, I really liked the 2 spacious storage bins at my side better than the storage on the 777 to BOM.

DSM Flyer May 4, 2019 12:48 am

Originally Posted by DSM Flyer (Post 31062914)
Apologies for what I'm sure is a repeat question, but is it normal to be charged a fare difference for same day flight change when routing is different but origin and destination cities remain the same? Due to forecast storms at DFW this evening I was wanting to change my routing to a similar timed flight via PHX. No options were shown under SDFC in the AA app, and when I called the Gold line I was told it would be $500+ to change routing. FAQ on AA.com just says "origin and destination cities must remain the same".

Thanks in advance for any clarification, just wondering if I should HUCA or take my chances in DFW...

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31062978)
HUACA.

I called again, got the same answer. Went to the ticket counter at the airport and asked the same question, got the same answer. Ticket agent at the airport looked at me like I was an idiot for even asking about changing to different routing but same origin and destination.

Not relevant to the original question, but my flight through DFW was delayed by 90 min, not due to weather at DFW but due to incoming flight. Not sure why. And as it turned out, the flight via PHX that I wanted has been delayed over 12 hours and will arrive at noon instead of 11:30 pm yesterday, so it all worked out!

Dr Jabadski May 4, 2019 10:33 am

Is Hidden City ticketing as much of a risk for international award flights as it is for paid flights? (Risk in terms of AAdvantage membership, not baggage considerations.) For example, looking in August, LHR to JFK on AA metal (to avoid BA fuel surcharges:td:), “LHR-JFK”, offers zero saver business choices. However, when searching “LHR-LAX”, several of the saver choices include a LHR-JFK business segment (connecting to a JFK-LAX business segment).

Is the risk assessment different if the connection at JFK is a few hours during the day compared to an overnight connection? (Seems it might be more common to need to cancel a connecting flight following an overnight connection.)

Thank you.

JJeffrey May 4, 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by NJFlyer_HOHO (Post 31064425)
Apologies in advanced that this question has been asked...

I am going to HKG and HND in August and have some questions about lounge access.

Party of 3: Me: AA PPro and hold a Citi Exe Platinum (with Admiral's Club); Wife: No Status; Child (8 yo): No status

We will be arriving HKG from EWR on CX. We will just head to the hotel right after arrival. So, no need for lounge access.

We will then do HKG to NRT on CX a few days later in Y.

We will then do HND to JFK on JL a few days after that in Y.

So, what (if any) lounge access do we have in HKG (when we fly HKG-NRT) and HND (when we fly HND-JFK).

I understand that my Citi Ex Plt card's membership for AC is not recognized for partner's lounge. But what about my PPro status (Sapphire in OW)? I think I am allowed access. But since i have 1 additional adult and child (total of 3), how does that work? Would they only allow either me + my significant other or me + my child access, since the policy is to only allow 1 guest? Do you guys have experience traveling as a family and gained access to OW partners lounges in HKG and HND when only one of the family member as Sapphire or Emerald status?

Thanks in advance.

As a PLT Pro (oneworld Sapphire) you can access any of the CX or JL business lounges at HKG and HND before your flights. Unfortunately by the rules you only get one guest, and an 8 year old is old enough to count as an adult. In the states you will often find friendly agents who will let you in in these scenarios, however in Asia they are mostly "by the rules," so I wouldn't count on any exceptions. You can still try though, never know might get lucky, and there a number of CX business lounges at HKG so if you fail at one, try another.

JJeffrey May 4, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 31066657)
Is Hidden City ticketing as much of a risk for international award flights as it is for paid flights? (Risk in terms of AAdvantage membership, not baggage considerations.) For example, looking in August, LHR to JFK on AA metal (to avoid BA fuel surcharges:td:), “LHR-JFK”, offers zero saver business choices. However, when searching “LHR-LAX”, several of the saver choices include a LHR-JFK business segment (connecting to a JFK-LAX business segment).

Is the risk assessment different if the connection at JFK is a few hours during the day compared to an overnight connection? (Seems it might be more common to need to cancel a connecting flight following an overnight connection.)

Thank you.

There is virtually no risk even on paid tickets (for a once or twice occurance) and award tickets are no different, you won't have any issues at all. If you can find a LHR-JFK on one day with the JFK-LAX connection the next day then I would for sure book that. Once you get to JFK, just pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel the remaining segment, no one will ever look at it again.

Dr Jabadski May 4, 2019 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31067061)
There is virtually no risk ...

Thank you, I like your assessment. :)

If booked that way (LHR-JFK-LAX, business saver, all AA metal) months ahead of time, presuming that LHR-JFK only is still not available, would AA allow dropping the JFK-LAX segment a month or two prior? Or would they see that LHR-JFK only is not available and therefore not allow such a change?

wendychar May 5, 2019 8:55 am

Question regarding the Elite Qualifying Miles:
Does transfer points from Marriott/spg program consider earning Elite Qualifying Miles?
For example, If I transfer 450,000 Marriott points to AA, will I get get AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status?

gateH15 May 5, 2019 9:01 am

Originally Posted by wendychar (Post 31069257)
Does transfer points from Marriott/spg program consider earning Elite Qualifying Miles?
For example, If I transfer 450,000 Marriott points to AA, will I get get AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status?

only miles flown on AA or OneWorld partners will count towards EQM. By transferring miles from Marriot you will get 0 EQMs

MADPhil May 5, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by wendychar (Post 31069257)

You are only transferring redeemable miles (RDM) which you can use for flights, upgrades, etc. You will get no elite credit.

JJeffrey May 5, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 31068255)
Thank you, I like your assessment. :)

If booked that way (LHR-JFK-LAX, business saver, all AA metal) months ahead of time, presuming that LHR-JFK only is still not available, would AA allow dropping the JFK-LAX segment a month or two prior? Or would they see that LHR-JFK only is not available and therefore not allow such a change?

AA does allow you to drop the first/last segment of an award in certain scenarios like this, however this married segment availability makes it much harder than it used to be. Now there supposedly needs to be availability on the "new" itinerary, i.e. just LHR-JFK, before an agent can make the change. YMMV.

Personally I wouldn't worry, just book the LHR-JFK-LAX and cancel the 2nd segment when you arrive in JFK.

wendychar May 5, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 31069283)
You are only transferring redeemable miles (RDM) which you can use for flights, upgrades, etc. You will get no elite credit.

Thanks for letting me know

Dr Jabadski May 5, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31069289)
... Personally I wouldn't worry, just book the LHR-JFK-LAX and cancel the 2nd segment when you arrive in JFK.

Thank you very much once again. Your suggestions are reasonable and understood. Now I’m thinking about the outbound NYC-LHR flight(s). Considering I live near NYC and it would involve dropping the FIRST segment, wondering how much more challenging it would be to book LAX-JFK-LHR and try to drop the LAX-JFK segment.

(Fondly recalling the “stopover allowed at North America gateway city” AA rules of a few years ago, then this would all be a no-brainer and I’d end up with a “free” JFK-LAX business class ticket. ;) )

Thanks again JJeffrey.

JDiver May 5, 2019 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 31069603)
Thank you very much once again. Your suggestions are reasonable and understood. Now I’m thinking about the outbound NYC-LHR flight(s). Considering I live near NYC and it would involve dropping the FIRST segment, wondering how much more challenging it would be to book LAX-JFK-LHR and try to drop the LAX-JFK segment.

(Fondly recalling the “stopover allowed at North America gateway city” AA rules of a few years ago, then this would all be a no-brainer and I’d end up with a “free” JFK-LAX business class ticket. ;) )

Thanks again JJeffrey.

It could be pretty challenging.

(from guv1976) There is no charge for dropping the final segment(s) of a one-way Flex award, as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone . If you are worried about losing your free DFW stopover, then do not call to drop the MAD-TXL segment until after you have flown YYC-DFW. HOWEVER...

DO note AA has instructed agents not to drop or add segments if doing so violates a married segment rule governing that award. See More award availability restricted by married segments / connections for further information. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...d-threads.html)