FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Mariano May 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Booking Premium Economy in Iberia with AAdvantage Miles?

Hi there... i can't find a way to do that on American website; do you know if its possible to book EZE-MAD-EZE on Premium Economy with AA miles?
thanks!

JJeffrey May 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mariano (Post 31144457)
Hi there... i can't find a way to do that on American website; do you know if its possible to book EZE-MAD-EZE on Premium Economy with AA miles?
thanks!

No, you currently cannot book awards in premium economy on partner carriers with AA miles.

Mariano May 27, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31144474)
No, you currently cannot book awards in premium economy on partner carriers with AA miles.

Many thanks! :)

flyingeph12 May 28, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin (Post 31144256)
So my itinerary would be bro-dfw-mia-cor? Sorry the 25th is my return...I am going down on the 19th. For the return on the 25th I was looking at United in economy for 30000 miles going through panama city. I'm thinking i want business on the way down (overnight flight) so i can hit the ground running on the 20th. Im also trying to keep my travel time under 21 hours. (what a long day). Getting and rechecking luggage is not a problem as long as it is easy and i have plenty of time. Tell me more about how to bring LATAM into the mix to save miles.

Kind or weird....now all of a sudden all the direct DFW-MIA have been removed from SAAver redemption (over 3-4 flights). You ever wonder if airline reps monitor stuff and make changes to try and goose profits

I'm now a little confused about what exactly it is you're looking for. So you want to leave on 19 Sep (not 25 Sep) and in business (not economy)? And you want to see if you can spend less than the 102,000 Avios you were originally quoted?

Business is going to be much harder to find, and generally redeeming Avios for long-haul business is not going to be a great deal. Like I said in my previous post, probably your best hope is to find availability on DFW-SCL or DFW-EZE, because SCL and AEP are within 650 miles of COR, meaning a LATAM connecting flight will only cost you 4500 Avios. The problem is that MileSAAver Business awards for DFW-SCL and DFW-EZE are going to be rare. You also have a very specific date, which limits your options. You can try other US gateways (e.g., MIA), but then you'd have two AA domestic flights, costing twice as many Avios.

My recommendation is (1) expand your date range (can you leave a couple of days earlier or later) and see if there might be availability on a date around 19 Sep; or (2) be willing to spend extra Avios to position beyond DFW; or (3) consider driving up to SAT (which has nonstop flights to MIA). From MIA, you have options on both AA and LATAM.

spin2nd May 28, 2019 9:44 am

Delta guy here...new to AA and can't find a clear answer. I have a MileSAAver award ticket ATL-ORD-DOH-JNB (ATL-ORD is AA and the rest is on QR). This trip is in August and has a 2.5 hour layover in ORD...I didn't think about the usual afternoon thunderstorms that time of year in ATL when I booked it and want to know is it possible to same day confirm/standby to an earlier ATL-ORD connection with this type of ticket? On DL I know the international legs keep you from being able to do it but what is American's policy? I.E. if we get to 24 hours out and it looks like the afternoon weather will be garbage can I try for an earlier flight out of ATL or do I need to commit now while I can change the ticket for free?

FWIW I'm reluctant to move to an earlier flight now as the only other option means I'll be cutting it close to make the flight and will be stuck at ORD for 6.5hrs so don't really want to do that unless its the only option/overwhelmingly 'smart' move.

Thanks!

JDiver May 28, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by spin2nd (Post 31145914)
Delta guy here...new to AA and can't find a clear answer. I have a MileSAAver award ticket ATL-ORD-DOH-JNB (ATL-ORD is AA and the rest is on QR). This trip is in August and has a 2.5 hour layover in ORD...I didn't think about the usual afternoon thunderstorms that time of year in ATL when I booked it and want to know is it possible to same day confirm/standby to an earlier ATL-ORD connection with this type of ticket? On DL I know the international legs keep you from being able to do it but what is American's policy? I.E. if we get to 24 hours out and it looks like the afternoon weather will be garbage can I try for an earlier flight out of ATL or do I need to commit now while I can change the ticket for free?

FWIW I'm reluctant to move to an earlier flight now as the only other option means I'll be cutting it close to make the flight and will be stuck at ORD for 6.5hrs so don't really want to do that unless its the only option/overwhelmingly 'smart' move.

Thanks!

I’d switch to the earlier flight.

1) Summer and ORD, ATL weather and ops

2) AA is minus 24 MAX 8 aircraft, has 115+ daily flights cancelled through 8/19 at least

3) AA and the mechanics unions have major contention going on

4) TSA has been required to dispatch airport screeners to the border with Mexico

vintagepilot May 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Wx or crew duty cancellation?

Ok, AA newbie here, just had a flight cancelled mostly due to very bad wx at DFW. We were all seated on board, and then the flight was cancelled. In fact the AA app told us before the crew did, and started giving us rebooking options - try as I might, whenever I selected an alternative, it failed and the alternative flight eventually became unavailable, presumably because it was by then full.

Then the captain announced that we were cancelled - but said that although we could actually depart, the flight would be cancelled as they would be out of crew duty for the return.

By the time we got to the ticketing desk, options were limited and we are now flying to an alternative destination and picking up our itinerary from there - entailing a night stop at DFW. They said it was a wx cancellation so no hotel would be provided.

So is this a wx cnx, or a crew duty/ops cnx? And would that make any difference to compensation? Or is this a travel insurance issue?

uneeq May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Is it possible to book BA awards that are 330+ days out with AA miles? I see the award on BA's website, but its about 350 days out so it's not on AA's website. I assume no and I'd have to wait until 330?

Mwenenzi May 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 31151716)
Is it possible to book BA awards that are 330+ days out with AA miles? I see the award on BA's website, but its about 350 days out so it's not on AA's website. I assume no and I'd have to wait until 330?

With AA software you are limited to 330 days

uneeq May 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31151718)
With AA software you are limited to 330 days

Even calling in to the AA booking center won't help? No choice but to wait until 330 and pray it's still available?

Mwenenzi May 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 31151732)
Even calling in to the AA booking center won't help? No choice but to wait until 330 and pray it's still available?

You cannot book any AA cash or award flight until 330 days. Is a software limitation.
For a test just try to book a cash ticket to somewhere. 330 days is a far as the calendar goes.
In the 355 to 330 days the award may indeed be taken by someone else who has ff miles/avios/points in a another ffp (e.g. BA QF)

uneeq May 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31151779)
You cannot book any AA cash or award flight until 330 days. Is a software limitation.
For a test just try to book a cash ticket to somewhere. 330 days is a far as the calendar goes.
In the 355 to 330 days the award may indeed be taken by someone else who has ff miles/avios/points in a another ffp (e.g. BA QF)

Got it, thanks for your help. I'll just hope no one with Avios takes it then.

flyingeph12 May 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 31151295)
Ok, AA newbie here, just had a flight cancelled mostly due to very bad wx at DFW. We were all seated on board, and then the flight was cancelled. In fact the AA app told us before the crew did, and started giving us rebooking options - try as I might, whenever I selected an alternative, it failed and the alternative flight eventually became unavailable, presumably because it was by then full.

Then the captain announced that we were cancelled - but said that although we could actually depart, the flight would be cancelled as they would be out of crew duty for the return.

By the time we got to the ticketing desk, options were limited and we are now flying to an alternative destination and picking up our itinerary from there - entailing a night stop at DFW. They said it was a wx cancellation so no hotel would be provided.

So is this a wx cnx, or a crew duty/ops cnx? And would that make any difference to compensation? Or is this a travel insurance issue?

I would say it’s ultimately weather-related. So yes, no hotel voucher. Do you have trip delay insurance via your credit card?

DFW is apparently a mess today. I was connecting through DFW and was prepared to have to overnight in DFW tonight, but I was lucky to grab the last seat via CLT at the AC. Good luck and safe travels!

Mwenenzi May 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 31151841)
Got it, thanks for your help. I'll just hope no one with Avios takes it then.

So you are OK for someone with QF ff points to take the award? ;) :D
Several airline's use the software that has 355 day window for reservations.

amarine88 May 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Main question: How do you get upgraded to Business while bypassing the upgrade list?

So I've been flying a lot of Asia legs recently and have been trying to upgrade with miles. As a recent AA Plat, I'm pretty far down on the list, but my last couple of flights to/from China have looked good: 6+ seats open in J (via Expert Flyer) and I was 5 on the upgrade list with a couple of hours until departure. On both of those flights, only one person on the upgrade list got bumped up to J but the plane left with a full business cabin.

What happened to those seats? Did people pay for a cash upgrade at the airport? How much do those usually run and who's the right person to ask? Is there another way to get upgraded that bypasses the upgrade list?

Thank you!