FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

jansoncheng Jan 4, 2019 3:39 am

I am flying in a J class on a trip of HKG-LAX-IAD, all marketed by CX and operated by AA
Will I have the lounge access in LAX? according to the OW rules looks like yes, but not sure if there's any AA exception applies in this case.
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

If the answer yes, which lounge will be available? The OW lounge in TBIT, the AA Flagship or Admiral Club?
Thx a lot!

NavSTL Jan 4, 2019 3:58 am

If you're in business class on the HKG-LAX leg, you'll have access the the Flagship and OW lounges for your connection. Should be able to flash any boarding pass and have it work, but best to hold on to the transpacific one for simplicity's sake.

ajy733 Jan 5, 2019 6:34 am

YYZ to Guatemala City

I am going to book a flight from Toronto to Guatemala city and will fly either through Miami or Dallas. I will book the business class fare but I am wondering if I will access to lounges at Toronto and wherever I connect. I know that on AA it is not a given that you get lounge access regardless of the fare. Can anyone advise?

JJeffrey Jan 5, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by ajy733 (Post 30613180)
I am going to book a flight from Toronto to Guatemala city and will fly either through Miami or Dallas. I will book the business class fare but I am wondering if I will access to lounges at Toronto and wherever I connect. I know that on AA it is not a given that you get lounge access regardless of the fare. Can anyone advise?

Yep, business class to Central America comes with lounge access, so you can access any of the Admirals Clubs or Flagship Lounges along the way at YYZ and MIA or DFW.

JDiver Jan 5, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ajy733 (Post 30613180)

The rules are summarized in the Wikipost at the top of the page of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html.

ECPAAFlyer Jan 5, 2019 11:22 am

Infant in arms question

Good morning - I just called the desk and got an answer but I wasn't feeling confident in her answer so wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this.

Considering booking DEN-DFW-South America; grandparents live in DFW so would be looking at dropping kids off at the airport on the way through (acknowledging needing to go outside security and come back through) - would it be problematic to add an infant in arms to this itinerary knowing it's only for the domestic leg? The last thing I want are issues at the airport getting it processed correctly. The older child would have a stand-alone seat so no issues there.

zippy_sd Jan 5, 2019 12:44 pm

Greetings!

TLDR
I'm curious, how folks go about balancing "gaining status" with "using miles"? It appears, at least to this beginner, that the two are in direct conflict with one another, in that using miles typically results in few or no EQM/EQD earned, negatively impacting ability to reach or maintain status...

Longer version
I just started flying regularly for work domestically in 2018, usually take a trip or two for vacation as well, and was close enough at the end of the year that I learned about and executed my first mileage run... By their powers combined, I landed a shiny new Platinum Pro status for 2019! This travel also netted me about 120k RDM, and I do want to benefit from them. But now I'm torn, because I want to make EXP in 2019, and it seems that using miles in any way on flights will drastically reduce (mile+copay upgrade on a cash ticket) or even eliminate (award ticket) any EQM/EQD earnings. Is there a smart way to leverage miles while still growing and maintaining status? How do you go about balancing the two?

Cheers,
Zip

hipquest Jan 5, 2019 1:19 pm

I need help deciphering how many EQM and EQD can/will be earned. This is an example for an upcoming flight.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3462d0130b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f72f4c316c.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated!

JDiver Jan 5, 2019 3:07 pm

To determine flown (base) miles, see Great Circle Mapper - but as they’re shown on your record, use that. E.g. on O class fare flying 3,546 miles, 3,456 EQM.

You can figure EQM from that, depending on marketing airline and fare basis. (On airline partner marketed fares, you can figure EQD as a percentage of base miles counted.)

For AA accruals see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Your EQD is based on the actual fare displayed, not counting taxes. (The amount of EQD was likely displayed just before you purchased, and might also be viewable on your receipt (which you can usually get on aa.com once the flights have ticketed) or on the refunds site, https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/.) At AA O class, you’ll earn $132.

For BA accruals if you had BA marketed flights (you don’t) you’d see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

IADCAflyer Jan 5, 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30602405)
The “non-rev” term doesn’t include passengers flying on Awards. You’ll be fine and have access to Admirals Clubs at CLT, RDU (If there is one, I can’t recall) and at CDG (or Cathay Business Lounge on the return and JFK Club or Flagship Lounge. Enjoy.

Agree. Non-revenue is an industry term for travel on the benefits accorded to an airline employee or when an employee is traveling for work. An award ticket is definitely a revenue ticket - one that is paid in miles as opposed to actual currency.

soarin3 Jan 5, 2019 6:56 pm

AA Award Availability on QF vs. AwardNexus

Hi, I'm planning on booking economy award tickets on JAL from JFK-GMP using AA miles in April 2019, but while availability is showing up on Qanta's website, AwardNexus gives an error saying that no MileSAAver awards are available for those dates. Does that mean no awards can be used? Thanks for your help in advance.

JDiver Jan 5, 2019 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by soarin3 (Post 30615660)
Hi, I'm planning on booking economy award tickets on JAL from JFK-GMP using AA miles in April 2019, but while availability is showing up on Qanta's website, AwardNexus gives an error saying that no MileSAAver awards are available for those dates. Does that mean no awards can be used? Thanks for your help in advance.

No idea which one is more accurate, but if I saw award availability on Qantas’ site I’d check aa.com, or even call AA.

soarin3 Jan 5, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and for the information; will do.

SussexFly Jan 6, 2019 7:14 am

I’ll shortly be flying my first AA flight, from MIA-LIR.
I’m travelling in Business, and have a few question regarding it.

Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!

Also, am I eligible for lounge access in MIA?

JDiver Jan 6, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly (Post 30617169)
I’ll shortly be flying my first AA flight, from MIA-LIR.
I’m travelling in Business, and have a few question regarding it.

Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!

Also, am I eligible for lounge access in MIA?

Your dress code is the dress code. It’s your ticket, your seat, your clothing. Be comfortable, or not; it’s your choice. If someone wishes to scowl, that’s their problem.

You will have Flagship Lounge (near D30, iirc) lounge access and on arrival you can stop by the Arrivals Lounge (closes at 2 pm, after immigration and customs on the second floor - look for signs) for breakfast, a shower, even have your clothes pressed.