FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

cerps343 May 12, 19 3:43 pm

HI everyone, this will be my second trip ever on AA and I'll be flying business from JFK - LHR. I know I should make sure to book on the 77W to get the good seats, but are there any other recommendations to best enjoy this experience?

For mileage accrual, I think it will be best to credit my miles to AS as I'll be taking a BA 747 home and crediting my BA miles to AS. It looks like there's a nice arrivals lounge at London that I can use to shower. Anything else I should know about? Thanks in advance :)

MADPhil May 12, 19 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by cerps343 (Post 31094254)
HI everyone, this will be my second trip ever on AA and I'll be flying business from JFK - LHR. I know I should make sure to book on the 77W to get the good seats, but are there any other recommendations to best enjoy this experience?

For mileage accrual, I think it will be best to credit my miles to AS as I'll be taking a BA 747 home and crediting my BA miles to AS. It looks like there's a nice arrivals lounge at London that I can use to shower. Anything else I should know about? Thanks in advance :)

You can also get a good breakfast in the lounge if you want to sleep longer on the flight.

Shadowfactor May 12, 19 4:50 pm

Couple different questions.

Will AA protect on a separate ticket when connecting to QR for weather related incidents ?
I know they protect if they cause the delay but is weather an exclusion to that ?

Would be flying AA from CMH-ORD and then connecting QR on a separate ticket from ORD.

manilabound May 12, 19 7:28 pm

Due to carelessness, I ended up purchasing BE flights from IAH-FCO operated by BA and codeshare with AA on a different website (onetravel), will I be allowed a carry-on? TIA

MADPhil May 12, 19 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by manilabound (Post 31094770)
Due to carelessness, I ended up purchasing BE flights from IAH-FCO operated by BA and codeshare with AA on a different website (onetravel), will I be allowed a carry-on? TIA

You should get the standard BA hand baggage allowance but if you have to check a non-compliant bag then you will be charged. If they offer you the opportunity to check a compliant carry-on because of a lack of space then it should be free and will be checked through to FCO.

guv1976 May 13, 19 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31094466)
Couple different questions.

Will AA protect on a separate ticket when connecting to QR for weather related incidents ?
I know they protect if they cause the delay but is weather an exclusion to that ?

Would be flying AA from CMH-ORD and then connecting QR on a separate ticket from ORD.

Weather would not be an exclusion if both flights were on one ticket, so they won't be an exclusion on separate tickets. With separate AA-oneworld tickets, you are treated as a through-ticketed passenger for all IRROPS -- but you won't be permitted to through-check any baggage.

Amlb May 13, 19 1:16 pm

Travelling from BZE to LHR via MIA in late January, on a Saturday, in around 1700 and out around 2130. Travelling in J on a BA booked ticket
How manic will MIA be?
I gather luggage will be ITI so should t need to pick up and recheck? Assume will need to exit and re-enter via customs etc,

Any advice on maximising the experience!

JDiver May 13, 19 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Amlb (Post 31097333)
Travelling from BZE to LHR via MIA in late January, on a Saturday, in around 1700 and out around 2130. Travelling in J on a BA booked ticket
How manic will MIA be?
I gather luggage will be ITI so should t need to pick up and recheck? Assume will need to exit and re-enter via customs etc,

Any advice on maximising the experience!

Definitely have your checked bags tagged ITI so you donít have to deal with them. Youíll still have to process immigration and afaik end up processing through security (thereís a queue to your left in arrivals as you exit customs).

Amlb May 13, 19 1:25 pm

Will do, would AA need prompting on this?

Amlb May 13, 19 2:18 pm

One other thought, on our outward run to BZE from MIA
do we get access to the Flagship lounge?
travelling in Business
Thanks

JDiver May 13, 19 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Amlb (Post 31097371)
Will do, would AA need prompting on this?

It’s quite possible. If they’re not using these regularly at Goldson airport they might have to be reminded or educated.

Originally Posted by Amlb (Post 31097552)
travelling in Business
Thanks

Central America qualifies for access.

gateH15 May 13, 19 2:46 pm

travelling in Business
Thanks

yes you will be eligible for FL access in Miami as long as you have a J/F ticket that day or have a status with oneworld

Amlb May 13, 19 2:50 pm

Thanks on both counts

MADPhil May 13, 19 3:03 pm

travelling in Business
Thanks

You would also get access if the legs between LHR and MIA are in business even if the other legs were domestic.

fls114 May 15, 19 1:31 am

EQM/EQD questions...help appreciated!

1. My flight from RDU-DFW was cancelled due to weather the other day. For me to still get to Tokyo on the expected date, I was re-booked through ORD. However, AA didn't have any seats RDU-ORD available so they booked me on UA. Will I still get my EQM/EQD? This was obviously out of my control and my payment still went to AA. I'm getting so close to Plat that I don't want to miss those miles, but guessing I'm screwed here.

2. I booked this trip as RDU-DFW-NRT-HND-SYD-LAX-CLT-RDU through AA. The HND-SYD portion was on Qantas and ticketed as QF 26. Do I understand right that this means .50 EQMs? Do those take longer to post?

3. Also, likely irrelevant, but with my HND-SYD diversion to CNS, do I get credit for an extra segment? :D