FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Gfish May 9, 19 6:39 pm

I’m an AA PLT (former CK when buying expensive tickets) and will be flying Buisness class to FCO from DFW.Is there an arrivals lounge at FCO I can use while I wait two hours to meet someone?

Shadowfactor May 9, 19 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gfish (Post 31085108)
Iím an AA PLT (former CK when buying expensive tickets) and will be flying Buisness class to FCO from DFW.Is there an arrivals lounge at FCO I can use while I wait two hours to meet someone?

theres a British Airways lounge you should be able to access on arrival.

Theres also a PP lounge directly across from it. Honestly they are the same quality and the PP might even have better food options.

JJeffrey May 9, 19 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Gfish (Post 31085108)
Iím an AA PLT (former CK when buying expensive tickets) and will be flying Buisness class to FCO from DFW.Is there an arrivals lounge at FCO I can use while I wait two hours to meet someone?

I assume you mean DFW-FCO? Unless there is a specific arrivals lounge, oneworld status or business class does not grant arrivals lounge access, you must have an onward oneworld boarding pass.

JDiver May 10, 19 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31085145)

theres a British Airways lounge you should be able to access on arrival.

Theres also a PP lounge directly across from it. Honestly they are the same quality and the PP might even have better food options.

I believe those are departure lounges; the OP is arriving Rome Fiumicino from DFW.

While there are no arrivals lounges at FCO (but dee the next post for a pay lounge), the Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn are nearby on the airport grounds, and iirc very close to the rail station for the Leonardo Express train non-stop service between FCO and Rome Termini (the main station).

rove312 May 10, 19 8:47 am

There's a similar question on the FCO thread on the Italy board, and there's the HelloSky lounge landside by the entrance to the car rental area.

JDiver May 10, 19 1:44 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31085753)
I believe those are departure lounges; the OP is arriving Rome Fiumicino from DFW.

While there are no arrivals lounges at FCO (but dee the next post for a pay lounge), the Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn are nearby on the airport grounds, and iirc very close to the rail station for the Leonardo Express train non-stop service between FCO and Rome Termini (the main station).

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 31086890)
There's a similar question on the FCO thread on the Italy board, and there's the HelloSky lounge landside by the entrance to the car rental area.

Now added to the Wikipost at the top of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...r-thread.html:

HelloSky Services Lounge (fee based, departures or arrivals)

Location: Via Generale Felice Santini, 1023, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italia - juncture of covered walkways to Terminals 1 and 3, landside . Walkway to Leonardo Express train to Roma (Termini).

Hours: 7 am - 9 pm
Amenities:
  • WiFi (included in access fee)
  • Business center with internet access
  • Bar and buffet* (extra cost)
  • Concierge
  • Showers (Ä20 includes towels, amenities)
  • Air Room day rooms (from 55Ä)
  • Airport lounge*
  • Meeting rooms (from 100Ä)
  • Meet and greet service (fees upon request)
Access fees: *8Ä HelloSky basic access, 20Ä HelloSky Plus (includes food buffet, beverages - breakfast available)

Link to website

+39 0697150200; [email protected]

DSM Flyer May 11, 19 6:50 am

What is the best way to intentionally book a longer layover? I want to fly from DSM to ONT via PHX and spend a few hours in PHX meeting with some local coworkers. When searching flights on aa.com there are two options via PHX: leave DSM in the morning and arrive in ONT late morning, or leave DSM in the afternoon and arrive in ONT early evening. There is one more PHX - ONT late evening flight that doesnít even show up in the DSM-ONT search. I donít see an option to force a longer layover online, trying to figure out the best way to do this. I wonít be checking a bag. The way I see it, here are my options:

1) Call AA for the initial booking. I canít find this online, but I believe there is a fee associated with booking tickets over the phone? I am Gold status if that makes a difference.

2) Book the morning flight DSM-PHX-ONT and SDFC to the later flight for the second leg. Drawbacks are, I can only make the change at T-24, and there is a $75 fee for a confirmed change, or free (as Gold) to standby, but I run the risk of not getting on a later flight (and not getting a decent seat).

3) Book multi-city: DSM to PHX in the morning, PHX to ONT in the evening, and ONT to DSM at the end of the week. This looks like it will cost around $75-$100 more than a single round-trip ticket, so comparable to the $75 same day change but with the security of a confirmed flight in advance.

Do I have these options right, or is there a better way? Iím leaning toward #3, multi-city. I donít mind paying a little more, but it seems like there should be some way to book the longer layover for free as long as I plan it in advance.

wrp96 May 11, 19 6:54 am

Originally Posted by DSM Flyer (Post 31089808)
What is the best way to intentionally book a longer layover? I want to fly from DSM to ONT via PHX and spend a few hours in PHX meeting with some local coworkers. When searching flights on aa.com there are two options via PHX: leave DSM in the morning and arrive in ONT late morning, or leave DSM in the afternoon and arrive in ONT early evening. There is one more PHX - ONT late evening flight that doesnít even show up in the DSM-ONT search. I donít see an option to force a longer layover online, trying to figure out the best way to do this. I wonít be checking a bag. The way I see it, here are my options:

1) Call AA for the initial booking. I canít find this online, but I believe there is a fee associated with booking tickets over the phone? I am Gold status if that makes a difference.

2) Book the morning flight DSM-PHX-ONT and SDFC to the later flight for the second leg. Drawbacks are, I can only make the change at T-24, and there is a $75 fee for a confirmed change, or free (as Gold) to standby, but I run the risk of not getting on a later flight (and not getting a decent seat).

3) Book multi-city: DSM to PHX in the morning, PHX to ONT in the evening, and ONT to DSM at the end of the week. This looks like it will cost around $75-$100 more than a single round-trip ticket, so comparable to the $75 same day change but with the security of a confirmed flight in advance.

Do I have these options right, or is there a better way? Iím leaning toward #3, multi-city. I donít mind paying a little more, but it seems like there should be some way to book the longer layover for free as long as I plan it in advance.

Multi-city would be the best option. 4 hours is the general limit for domestic connections, so for what you want to do you need to break the fare.

JJeffrey May 11, 19 6:56 am

Just give AA a call, there's no fee for booking something over the phone that can't be booked online. Just tell the agent that you couldn't book the flights online if they try to charge you the phone fee. Or when you call you could just put the lights on hold, then go back online and book them.

DSM Flyer May 11, 19 7:35 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31089819)
Multi-city would be the best option. 4 hours is the general limit for domestic connections, so for what you want to do you need to break the fare.

Thanks, I figured there was probably a limit but wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31089824)
Just give AA a call, there's no fee for booking something over the phone that can't be booked online. Just tell the agent that you couldn't book the flights online if they try to charge you the phone fee. Or when you call you could just put the lights on hold, then go back online and book them.

Thanks, I will try calling. To clarify - if I call to get the flight times I want and they say they will charge me, I can have them put the flights on hold and then when I log in to my account they will be there and I can complete the transaction?

If that doesn't work I will just go mult-city. Thanks both of you!

MADPhil May 11, 19 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DSM Flyer (Post 31089912)
If that doesn't work I will just go mult-city. Thanks both of you!

Since you can book multi-city, which is what you want, on line I wouldn't get your hopes up on a fee rebate. The only exception to the four hour rule is if there isn't a pair of connecting flights that fall in that period.

DSM Flyer May 11, 19 8:14 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 31090001)
Since you can book multi-city, which is what you want, on line I wouldn't get your hopes up on a fee rebate. The only exception to the four hour rule is if there isn't a pair of connecting flights that fall in that period.

I suppose if there is a 4 hour limit to domestic layovers, then I would essentially be booking a mult-city over the phone anyways, so you're probably right. Not a big deal, we'll see if I feel like talking to CS when it comes time to book, I'll probably just end up doing multi-city online :)

swag May 11, 19 8:14 am

If you make the decision to book what you can now and try for a day-of change, it seems safer to book the afternoon flights now, and then try to stand by for the morning DSM-PHX flight. (Assuming that the risk of missing the meeting is better then the risk of getting stuck in PHX).

Zeromus-X May 12, 19 1:52 am

Is there any way to convert an award flight to a paid booking?

I had to book a flight that was showing up as stupid expensive for what it was, and now it's literally a quarter of the original price. It's been more than 24 hours, but I understand it's possible to change award tickets in some situations (different date for example) without penalty. I can't find anything about whether AA offers the option to convert an award ticket to a paid ticket though. I'd be willing to upgrade class of service to make it happen, too.

Canceling the booking is an option but if there's a way to save the $150, even better!

JJeffrey May 12, 19 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Zeromus-X (Post 31092269)
Is there any way to convert an award flight to a paid booking?

I had to book a flight that was showing up as stupid expensive for what it was, and now it's literally a quarter of the original price. It's been more than 24 hours, but I understand it's possible to change award tickets in some situations (different date for example) without penalty. I can't find anything about whether AA offers the option to convert an award ticket to a paid ticket though. I'd be willing to upgrade class of service to make it happen, too.

Canceling the booking is an option but if there's a way to save the $150, even better!

No, you can't convert an award flight to a paid flight. The only thing you can do is cancel the award booking and just buy the paid booking separately (and pay the mileage redeposit fee), as you mentioned.

If you don't need the miles immediately for anything else, one option is to change your award flights to a date way off in the future (AA offers free date/time changes on awards). Then wait for the inevitable schedule change, and then call AA to cancel as they will usually waive the redeposit fee for schedule changes.