FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

allset2travel May 23, 19 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31125387)
Row 9 is good for couples, since it's a pair of 2 seats, instead of the normal 3. It also has extra legroom (although no under-seat storage, and I don't believe there is an overhead bin directly over Row 9, since the exit door is right there).

The lav is right in front of Row 9 (on the left side), which might be annoying on an overnight flight. You will also likely encounter the person seated in 10A or 10F crossing over in front of you to get out of their seat. (10A and 10F, by the way, are the best seats in economy, especially if traveling alone; you have pretty much unrestricted legroom.)

Can't help you with your window seat question for J, although it's an overnight transatlantic flight, so not sure you'd have much of a view for most of the flight.

Thank you for the info. So, to avoid the lav, best to choose 10F (bit confused about LEFT side or RIGHT side)?

allset2travel May 23, 19 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31125656)
I’ve flown that, and there’s not much of a view at night. Though I always try for an A seat because when I feel the “Greenland Bump” I always look to see if there is any Aurora Borealis, lunar or other interesting activity as we fly by or over Greenland.

For further seat information, please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.

This thread is really better for “newbie” questions than in depth questions about specific aircraft seating.

Thank you for the links.
Re: "newbie" questions, noted. Thanks.

flyingeph12 May 23, 19 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 31132351)
Thank you for the info. So, to avoid the lav, best to choose 10F (bit confused about LEFT side or RIGHT side)?

By left, I mean the lav is in front of 9 B/C.

kaipoman May 24, 19 10:02 am

Question for you all:

Looking to travel from ORD to a TBD destination in Europe next year for 3. Maybe it's the apathy, but I'm not going to bother to wait for any unicorn sAAver space on AA metal to get across the pond.

While my final destination will NOT be LHR / CDG / FCO, if I'm ok paying 110k miles per person would a phone agent allow me to get to one of those cities and add on a connecting flight to a city like PRG without shelling out an additional 12-25k miles? I'd take literally the first connecting flight that made sense and wouldn't try to do an extended stopover or anything. I've tried piecing this together on the AA website with no luck of course.

Thanks in advance for the help!

flyingeph12 May 24, 19 10:20 am

Originally Posted by kaipoman (Post 31134889)
Question for you all:

Looking to travel from ORD to a TBD destination in Europe next year for 3. Maybe it's the apathy, but I'm not going to bother to wait for any unicorn sAAver space on AA metal to get across the pond.

While my final destination will NOT be LHR / CDG / FCO, if I'm ok paying 110k miles per person would a phone agent allow me to get to one of those cities and add on a connecting flight to a city like PRG without shelling out an additional 12-25k miles? I'd take literally the first connecting flight that made sense and wouldn't try to do an extended stopover or anything. I've tried piecing this together on the AA website with no luck of course.

Thanks in advance for the help!

AAnytime awards are only available on AA metal, and you can’t mix AAnytime and SAAver on one award, which means you have to stick to AA metal. So the answer to your question is no. However, you might be able to do ORD-PHL-PRG. Basically, you have to stick with a destination served by AA.

kaipoman May 24, 19 10:24 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31134940)

AAnytime awards are only available on AA metal, and you can’t mix AAnytime and SAAver on one award, which means you have to stick to AA metal. So the answer to your question is no. However, you might be able to do ORD-PHL-PRG. Basically, you have to stick with a destination served by AA.

Gotcha - makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help.

mohitmadaan May 24, 19 9:23 pm

Buy AA miles via promotion for DEL / SFO Travel?

I see AA is currently offering 40% bonus on miles purchase and if maxed out, its costing 1.78 C per mile ($2676 / 150,000). I notice you can get a one way Business Class ticket on AA with 70,000 miles which is roughly $1,246 with this promotion. I travel around 10 times a year between DEL to SFO or DEL to LAX back and forth. Is it a good option to buy 150,000 miles in hopes of redeeming for business class ticket @ cost of $1,246

I usually travel Economy and end up paying around $800 or so one way because i book last minute, so this seems really good option

flyingeph12 May 24, 19 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by mohitmadaan (Post 31136570)
I see AA is currently offering 40% bonus on miles purchase and if maxed out, its costing 1.78 C per mile ($2676 / 150,000). I notice you can get a one way Business Class ticket on AA with 70,000 miles which is roughly $1,246 with this promotion. I travel around 10 times a year between DEL to SFO or DEL to LAX back and forth. Is it a good option to buy 150,000 miles in hopes of redeeming for business class ticket @ cost of $1,246

I usually travel Economy and end up paying around $800 or so one way because i book last minute, so this seems really good option

Using miles can be a good deal, but you might not be able to find award availability exactly when you want to go. Generally, with award travel, you need to be at least somewhat flexible and perhaps willing to have multiple connections. Additionally, there are a few airlines (like British Airways) where there are high fees when redeeming awards. If you are generally flexible, though, using miles can be a good deal.

mohitmadaan May 24, 19 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31136658)
Using miles can be a good deal, but you might not be able to find award availability exactly when you want to go. Generally, with award travel, you need to be at least somewhat flexible and perhaps willing to have multiple connections. Additionally, there are a few airlines (like British Airways) where there are high fees when redeeming awards. If you are generally flexible, though, using miles can be a good deal.

Got it. With roughly 15 to 20 international trips a year out of DEL, i am hoping to grab only 1-2 Business class seats at a cost of $1200 or so. Somewhat flexible most of the times. I guess that settles it, i am going to buy these AA miles for $2600 and hopefully i can redeem them sometimes in the future.

77flyer77 May 25, 19 1:33 am

AA or Qantas Baggage Regulations?

Called AA and representative assisted me with a single ticket award flight: SAT-LAX-NAN.
- I was told that at departure my baggage would be checked thru from SAT to NAN even tho the 3rd segment SYD-NAN is on Fiji Airways. So... will I use AA baggage allowances? And, I won't have to claim my baggage in Sydney, correct?

- My return will be NAN-SYD on Qantas with a 14 hour layover in SYD before AA flights home: SYD-LAX-SAT.
Am I correct in assuming I will be under QA baggage allowances (i.e. 15 lbs cabin baggage) to Sydney and then AA allowances for remainder of trip?
I realize I will collect my bags in LAX as port of entry/immigration.

quitecryptic May 25, 19 3:08 pm

On admirals club access:

If flying DOH-PHL-DFW in Business (via QR and AA), would there be any lounge access at all in PHL? As I understand it Admirals club access is only available at the departure airport of your international leg?

gateH15 May 25, 19 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by quitecryptic (Post 31138370)
On admirals club access:

If flying DOH-PHL-DFW in Business (via QR and AA), would there be any lounge access at all in PHL? As I understand it Admirals club access is only available at the departure airport of your international leg?

you will have access to admirals club or BA lounge in PHL

HeStoleMyLogin May 25, 19 4:47 pm

Newbie Question: American Airline award ticket to BA award ticket

Hi,

I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There i want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half. So my questions are

1)will they make me collect my luggage and recheck in for my second flight?

2)if I have to recheck is that enough time?

Thanks

Mwenenzi May 25, 19 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin (Post 31138562)
I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There I want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half.

So my questions are

1. Yes. AA does not interline checked bags on separate tickets. So you need to collect & then check in. That takes time.
  2. Is a major risk, if for example the first flight is delayed. The consequences of missing the BA/AA business class/first flight could be a lot. However AA do protect on separate tickets. Personally I would allow a lot more time than 90 minutes between scheduled arrival & scheduled departure time. You have a lot less actual time to get between flights.

guv1976 May 25, 19 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by HeStoleMyLogin (Post 31138562)
Hi,

I'm getting ready to try some international flying but I'm not sure about my timing and other shenanigans. I have some random AA points that can get me from my hometown to DFW on an economy award ticket. There i want to catch an international flight using a British airways avios reward ticket on AA metal (first class/business). The connection time is about an Hour an a half. So my questions are

Thanks

Do you have enough Avios to cover the domestic AA flight in Coach? If so, you might try calling the BAEC Service Center to see if can have the domestic AA Coach flight put on the same ticket as the international AA Business Class flight. That way, your checked baggage could be checked through.