FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

fredshino May 7, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31076327)
Your profile says EXP, btw.

Thanks! I was EXP for a couple of years but not anymore. I'll update my profile :)

Reetmafreen May 7, 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31076142)
Glad you were able to get that straightened out.

The Sabre system is built in antiquated code and it shows.

Prior to the merger, AA had a contract with Hewlett Packard Enterprise to develop an entirely new passenger service system to be called “Jetstream”, but bankruptcy put that idea to rest and Doug Parker chose to use Sabre for AA PSS going forward. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ct-termination

A very small nit here from a legal perspective .... the US Airways/AA merger closed Oct 17 2015. HPE and HP didn’t go their separate ways until Nov. 1 2015 ;)

pspaster May 7, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi all -

I have what is probably a basic question, to those who have a better understanding of mileage earning for paid tickets than I do :)

I registered and qualified for an AA promo: Double miles on Premium Economy, Business and First tickets.
(Register by February 25, 2019, and before you travel; Earn $3,500 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) on Premium Economy, Business or First tickets and fly on qualifying flight; After earning the required EQDs, you’ll earn double award miles on those flights and any others through May 5, 2019).

I took two flights in April post registration, within the promo dates. Below are my miles earned, and I'm unclear why the second flight earned several thousand miles less than the first:

1. DCA->PHX 5937 EQM; $2317 EQD. 11,585 Base Miles; 21,405 Bonus Miles (listed as 11,585 and 9,820, both 'promo' EARN 3.5K EQDS FOR DBL MLS-P319B)
2. PHX->DCA 5937 EQM; $2270 EQD. 11,350 Base Miles; 11,350 Bonus Miles (same promo reference, but only a single one this time).

So I can see that my first flight earned 2 promo bonuses, and I'm wondering if the second should have as-well? Since I don't truly understand the situation I don't feel comfortable reaching out to AA at this time.

Any advice if my current earnings are correct, too high, or too low?

Thanks!

voyageuse May 8, 2019 7:39 am

Greetings to all, I would like to know if we shall havelounge access on the following. This is an AA award redemption for 1-way business class flights on american. YUL-PHL connecting to PHL-SXM. I have no status nor *alliance gold. I assume the only lounge I can use is at PHL?
At YUL AA doesn't have a lounge or partner with others correct?
Thank you very much for your help. Greatly appreciated!

Ceres May 8, 2019 7:48 am

This may be a simple question, but if I get downgraded on an international flight on the departure, can I just cancel the entire trip and get my points back?

Thanks

JJeffrey May 8, 2019 7:49 am

Originally Posted by voyageuse (Post 31079247)
Greetings to all, I would like to know if we shall havelounge access on the following. This is an AA award redemption for 1-way business class flights on american. YUL-PHL connecting to PHL-SXM. I have no status nor *alliance gold. I assume the only lounge I can use is at PHL?

AA doesn't consider the Caribbean (or Canada) international for lounge access purposes. So no lounge access at any point on that itinerary.

voyageuse May 8, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31079283)
AA doesn't consider the Caribbean (or Canada) international for lounge access purposes. So no lounge access at any point on that itinerary.

JJeffrey, thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

flyingeph12 May 8, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by voyageuse (Post 31079247)

Unfortunately, you won't get lounge access at PHL either. Passengers on flights between US and Caribbean do not get lounge access based on cabin of service, so even though you're in Business/First, that will not get you lounge access. The only way to get access is if you are a Oneworld (non-AA) Sapphire or Emerald, or if you purchase a day pass.

JJeffrey May 8, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 31079277)
This may be a simple question, but if I get downgraded on an international flight on the departure, can I just cancel the entire trip and get my points back?

Thanks

Generally speaking yes, although it would help to know to the exact scenario. Just out of curiosity why are you worried about being downgraded?

voyageuse May 8, 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31079289)
Unfortunately, you won't get lounge access at PHL either. Passengers on flights between US and Caribbean do not get lounge access based on cabin of service, so even though you're in Business/First, that will not get you lounge access. The only way to get access is if you are a Oneworld (non-AA) Sapphire or Emerald, or if you purchase a day pass.

flyingeph thank you for your reply.

Ceres May 8, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31079297)
Generally speaking yes, although it would help to know to the exact scenario. Just out of curiosity why are you worried about being downgraded?

It's just I read FT a LOT, and there have been quite a few downgrade threads lately. And there is no way with my back I could do TATL in Y.

I ended up on an MD-80 in those exit seats that are really tight into ORD a couple of weeks ago. My fat A** barely fit, but I can do those length flights in Y with my back. But I could not do TATL without having to lay on the floor. ;) I don't have enough meds.

JJeffrey May 8, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 31079535)
It's just I read FT a LOT, and there have been quite a few downgrade threads lately. And there is no way with my back I could do TATL in Y.

I ended up on an MD-80 in those exit seats that are really tight into ORD a couple of weeks ago. My fat A** barely fit, but I can do those length flights in Y with my back. But I could not do TATL without having to lay on the floor. ;) I don't have enough meds.

AA doesn't downgrade you "just because" or because you're on an award ticket, or anything like that. If you're booked in business then you should fully expect to fly in business. I'm not sure what these downgrade threads are you're speaking of.

In any event I wouldn't worry at all, you will be flying in business.

BThumme May 8, 2019 1:23 pm

I'm looking to go from the maldives to iceland on an award ticket next summer.

Ideally, MLE-DOH-HEL-KEF would be most preferred. Is that a valid routing? The system seems to always force a double connection through LHR and or KWI/BAH/(saudi arabia) onto LHR-KEF. That adds (I think?) about $300 USD to the cost. Going via HEL would waive that, but I don't see that as an option. Can AA agents piece that together at all, or is it not valid to begin with?

Alternatively, what would you guys do? MLE-DOH looks to be on the A350 or A320 this summer (I know it could change for next). I could position to Colombo to try and get on a 77W, but that also adds about $120 in taxes for sri lankan fees. Not sure what the best option to try and piece together would be. EY and AY don't fly AUH-HEL, so unless MLE-AUH-ARN/OSL/CPH-HEL-KEF is valid, I don't know if there's a way to get around the fuel surcharges other than just routing to europe and doing a one way iceland air ticket. I don't think that would offset the award ticket surcharges though.

For 42.5k miles, what's the best way to get the best in air expierence Maldives-Iceland (or northern Europe)?

JDiver May 8, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 31080572)

Ideally, MLE-DOH-HEL-KEF would be most preferred. Is that a valid routing? The system seems to always force a double connection through LHR and or KWI/BAH/(saudi arabia) onto LHR-KEF. That adds (I think?) about $300 USD to the cost. Going via HEL would waive that, but I don't see that as an option. Can AA agents piece that together at all, or is it not valid to begin with?

Alternatively, what would you guys do? MLE-DOH looks to be on the A350 or A320 this summer (I know it could change for next). I could position to Colombo to try and get on a 77W, but that also adds about $120 in taxes for sri lankan fees. Not sure what the best option to try and piece together would be. EY and AY don't fly AUH-HEL, so unless MLE-AUH-ARN/OSL/CPH-HEL-KEF is valid, I don't know if there's a way to get around the fuel surcharges other than just routing to europe and doing a one way iceland air ticket. I don't think that would offset the award ticket surcharges though.

For 42.5k miles, what's the best way to get the best in air expierence Maldives-Iceland (or northern Europe)?

This is too complex to put this into the Newbie Lounge, and you’re far from a Newbie ;). Let’s ultimately take this to where it belongs. Moderator

1) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html has some important information for MileSAAver awards.

2) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html does as well, both especially in the Wikipost at the top of each thread.

Using the innosked one world interactive route map and schedule (link), the only oneworld airlines serving Keflavik are AA (from DFW), AY (from HEL), BA (from LCY and KHR) and S7 (from DME). You’ll have to connect with one of those (without exceeding Maximum Permitted Miles) and meet the following requirement, as well as finding award space.

The most salient requirement for your proposed preferred routing is that the Most Significant Carrier must offer a through, non-constructed fare for that routing.

Good luck.

JJeffrey May 8, 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme (Post 31080572)

QR's published fares between MLE-KEF look like they allow connections in HEL however require FI (Icelandair) between HEL-KEF However, if you find availability on all the segments I would for sure call AA and at least try to book it, see what it prices out as. I'd recommend putting MLE-DOH-HEL on hold at aa.com, then call AA and ask to add the HEL-KEF.

This is quite a unique award combination, oneworld and AA partner service to MLE and KEF is limited and piecing flights together will further limit your options. Personally I wouldn't get too caught up in trying to book the "best in air experience" but rather just grab whatever you can find that works around your dates.

Also keep in mind the BA surcharges are not that bad starting in MLE. For example I see a MLE-AUH-LHR-KEF on EY/BA with ~$300 in taxes and fees which gets you all the way in business.