FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Shadowfactor May 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by amarine88 (Post 31155763)
Main question: How do you get upgraded to Business while bypassing the upgrade list?

So I've been flying a lot of Asia legs recently and have been trying to upgrade with miles. As a recent AA Plat, I'm pretty far down on the list, but my last couple of flights to/from China have looked good: 6+ seats open in J (via Expert Flyer) and I was 5 on the upgrade list with a couple of hours until departure. On both of those flights, only one person on the upgrade list got bumped up to J but the plane left with a full business cabin.

What happened to those seats? Did people pay for a cash upgrade at the airport? How much do those usually run and who's the right person to ask? Is there another way to get upgraded that bypasses the upgrade list?

Thank you!

as a AA platinum you aren’t entitled to any free upgrades outside of North America flights.
Im surprised you were on the upgrade list. I’m AA platinum and I never appear on long haul upgrade lists.

I don’t even think any level of AA elites get complementary long haul upgrades without use of a SWU.

Upgrades are done 3 ways as far as I know. SWU, Miles, and DOD.
Theres op ups too, but I don’t count those as something you can achieve on demand.

Likely DOD upgrades or non rev’s clearing into forward cabins if no other seats available. Could be off duty crew as well.

amarine88 May 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31155818)

as a AA platinum you aren’t entitled to any free upgrades outside of North America flights.
Im surprised you were on the upgrade list. I’m AA platinum and I never appear on long haul upgrade lists.

I don’t even think any level of AA elites get complementary long haul upgrades without use of a SWU.

Upgrades are done 3 ways as far as I know. SWU, Miles, and DOD.
Theres op ups too, but I don’t count those as something you can achieve on demand.

Likely DOD upgrades or non rev’s clearing into forward cabins if no other seats available. Could be off duty crew as well.

Hi! I should have been clear, I'm not trying for free upgrades but for mileage upgrades. I'm able to get on the list, but I'm not sure how to actually be successful at an upgrade when all of the empty seats seem to disappear within an hour of departure without taking people off of the upgrade list.

hipquest May 30, 2019 11:00 pm

Does AA have a "fast pass" for AMS customs/immigration? Husband and I are flying July1/2 in J.

flyingeph12 May 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by amarine88 (Post 31155850)
Hi! I should have been clear, I'm not trying for free upgrades but for mileage upgrades. I'm able to get on the list, but I'm not sure how to actually be successful at an upgrade when all of the empty seats seem to disappear within an hour of departure without taking people off of the upgrade list.

When you say "6+ seats open," do you mean the flight is J6 or that there are 6 available seats showing up on the seat map? It is very possible that people booked in J don't have an assigned seat.

Of course, it's also possible that AA is selling upgrades at the airport, in which case you can ask at check in if that's the case. If you have EF, you can set an alert for C space and make sure to call in when C space opens up, because sometimes upgrades don't automatically clear when C space opens up. Otherwise, there's not really a way to bypass the upgrade list.

wiivile May 31, 2019 9:04 am

Can you make changes/cancellations (free date changes or non-free changes/cancellations) to a PNR (booked using AA miles) once it has been partially flown?

guv1976 May 31, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31157126)
Can you make changes/cancellations (free date changes or non-free changes/cancellations) to a PNR (booked using AA miles) once it has been partially flown?

All AA awards are issued as one-ways. A single PNR can hold multiple one-way awards. You should be able to make date changes on any wholly-unflown award contained in the PNR.

wiivile May 31, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31157146)
All AA awards are issued as one-ways. A single PNR can hold multiple one-way awards. You should be able to make date changes on any wholly-unflown award contained in the PNR.

ok. for example, i was thinking of booking a GRU-JFK flight in January and JFK-LHR months later on the same PNR, because PNRs that start in Brazil don't have fuel surcharges (so i can fly JFK-LHR on BA without surcharges). once GRU-JFK is flown, i can still change or cancel the JFK-LHR flight (for free or not free, depending on the type of change), because it considers it a separate one-way award, even though part of the PNR was already flown?

guv1976 May 31, 2019 10:11 am

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31157160)
ok. for example, i was thinking of booking a GRU-JFK flight in January and JFK-LHR months later on the same PNR, because PNRs that start in Brazil don't have fuel surcharges (so i can fly JFK-LHR on BA without surcharges). once GRU-JFK is flown, i can still change or cancel the JFK-LHR flight (for free or not free, depending on the type of change), because it considers it a separate one-way award, even though part of the PNR was already flown?

Yes.

But whether you would avoid the surcharge on BA JFK-LHR, I'm not sure. Try doing a dummy multi-city award booking at aa.com, and see how it prices.

wiivile May 31, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31157338)
Yes.

But whether you would avoid the surcharge on BA JFK-LHR, I'm not sure. Try doing a dummy multi-city award booking at aa.com, and see how it prices.

It does avoid the surcharge, which is why I was interested: https://i.imgur.com/CJibgid.png

The JFK-LHR booking is speculative, but if it can still be changed after flying the ex-Brazil flight, it seems like a good bet.

guv1976 May 31, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31157350)
It does avoid the surcharge, which is why I was interested: https://i.imgur.com/CJibgid.png

The JFK-LHR booking is speculative, but if it can still be changed after flying the ex-Brazil flight, it seems like a good bet.

If you do fly JFK-LHR, would you thereafter fly back to NYC from LON? If so, you might consider booking that leg as well as part of the same PNR. ;)

wiivile May 31, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31157363)
If you do fly JFK-LHR, would you thereafter fly back to NYC from LON? If so, you might consider booking that leg as well as part of the same PNR. ;)

Yeah, I know, I've considered doing RTW trips originating in Brazil because of that law...! It seems really lucrative anytime you fly ex-Brazil...

puchong May 31, 2019 11:19 am

Where can I find the thread for requesting / offering AAdmirals Club lounge access?

JDiver May 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 31157591)
Where can I find the thread for requesting / offering AAdmirals Club lounge access?

It’s even on this front page. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...est-offer.html

You can offer, you can’t ask.

Dubiox May 31, 2019 3:33 pm

What is that desk for upstairs at LAX Admiral's Club when you first walk up? You already check in downstairs.

Shadowfactor May 31, 2019 3:40 pm

I recently read that AA platinum members get free same day standby.

How does this work because the one the one time I thought about using it. The app wanted to charge me $75 since I was flying in Y

I’ve used it before for domestic F, is Y same day change free for platinums ?