FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JDiver Sep 5, 2019 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 31490271)
Actually it looks kind of cool. And since we 99% fly Alaska we might never get the opportunity to try it out. I think we'll just keep what we have.

But what about my question about how many FA's are in F on those flights?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...77-2019-a.html

There are two different (Zodiac and Super Diamond) seats used in the two current versions of 772.

Eujeanie Sep 5, 2019 1:22 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31492209)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...77-2019-a.html

There are two different (Zodiac and Super Diamond) seats used in the two current versions of 772.

While I truly appreciate the link, I'm more confused than ever. Also looked at a bunch of 772 videos and honestly I think there might be a chance we'll be going backwards (or at least one of us). I can't worry about it, que sera sera.

But what I found odd when they changed our flight was that they changed the departure by several hours - which at first I didn't think much of, it actually meant we did not have to get up so early, which was good.

BUT...there was a flight very, very close to our original time which was designated on AA.com as "Flagship", which had an F section that was one row of seats on each side, then a larger business section. Not sure where we would have been seated on that (we got SaverBusiness/First mileage tickets). Any reason why we should ask for that particular flight? (since as I said it was really close to our original departure)?

arjaok Sep 5, 2019 1:24 am

I'm headed to DFW and booked AA1004 and AA1535 to do this in November. I specifically booked because it said the flight was on a 787. Someone told me that they wont actually be flying that plane and it would be switched out to a 737.

If that is the case, would I be entitled to a refund? Also, why do they list a 787 if they know they won't use it?

flyingeph12 Sep 5, 2019 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 31492301)
While I truly appreciate the link, I'm more confused than ever. Also looked at a bunch of 772 videos and honestly I think there might be a chance we'll be going backwards (or at least one of us). I can't worry about it, que sera sera.

But what I found odd when they changed our flight was that they changed the departure by several hours - which at first I didn't think much of, it actually meant we did not have to get up so early, which was good.

BUT...there was a flight very, very close to our original time which was designated on AA.com as "Flagship", which had an F section that was one row of seats on each side, then a larger business section. Not sure where we would have been seated on that (we got SaverBusiness/First mileage tickets). Any reason why we should ask for that particular flight? (since as I said it was really close to our original departure)?

I believe AA is using the A321T for one of its LAX/MIA flights for a few weeks this holiday season. That plane has 3 cabins, with an F cabin consisting of seats in a 1-1 configuration. With Saver Business/First award tickets, you would be seated in the J cabin, which is 2-2. I think the J seats on the 772 are slightly better (even the ones that are connected to each other and rock), but the J seats on the A321T are probably more ideal for a couple traveling together. Additionally, J on the A321T will give you access to the Flagship Lounges in LAX and MIA, whereas J on the 772 will not (since only 3-cabin flights on the A321T—or 77W—are considered "premium" transcon flights).

EDIT: More info on the A321T on LAX/MIA here. https://onemileatatime.com/ameircan-a321t-mia-lax/

flyingeph12 Sep 5, 2019 4:04 am

Originally Posted by arjaok (Post 31492303)
I'm headed to DFW and booked AA1004 and AA1535 to do this in November. I specifically booked because it said the flight was on a 787. Someone told me that they wont actually be flying that plane and it would be switched out to a 737.

If that is the case, would I be entitled to a refund? Also, why do they list a 787 if they know they won't use it?

AA has used a 788 on those flights in the past (I think it may have been last winter), so it is plausible that AA has decided to use the 788 again this winter. In any event, the plane most often used on those flights in the past is an A321, so I am somewhat skeptical of someone saying it will be a 737 (unless it's a one-time substitution, although it seems strange that anyone would know of that so far in advance). If the flight does change to a 737, I am pretty sure you can switch to a 788 flight (assuming there is one) but I'm less sure about an outright refund (although I think you should definitely try and hope for a sympathetic agent).

Eujeanie Sep 5, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31492546)
I believe AA is using the A321T for one of its LAX/MIA flights for a few weeks this holiday season. That plane has 3 cabins, with an F cabin consisting of seats in a 1-1 configuration. With Saver Business/First award tickets, you would be seated in the J cabin, which is 2-2. I think the J seats on the 772 are slightly better (even the ones that are connected to each other and rock), but the J seats on the A321T are probably more ideal for a couple traveling together. Additionally, J on the A321T will give you access to the Flagship Lounges in LAX and MIA, whereas J on the 772 will not (since only 3-cabin flights on the A321T—or 77W—are considered "premium" transcon flights).

EDIT: More info on the A321T on LAX/MIA here. https://onemileatatime.com/ameircan-a321t-mia-lax/

This was extremely helpful - thank you! Yes, our flight is during the holidays so we do fall into this special category.

However, I think we're going to stick with the 772 for several reasons:

Don't have to get up as early (IIRC we chose the early flight originally because of the award availability)
Lunch rather than breakfast (breakfast food to us is so boring, anywhere)
We wouldn't utilize the Flagship lounge anyway because of the timing - we'd never get to the airport early enough
We really want to see what it's like to fly on one of the new (to us) weird configurations (we've decided even though we probably won't be able to comfortably interact as usual it's fine)

Thank you again.

calmasahinducow Sep 5, 2019 7:55 am

Quick, dumb question...if I book a mixed PE itinerary (E fare) on AA with a segment flown on JL, does that segment accrue EQD based on the fare (i.e. the AA method) or based on 20% of the distance flown which is what the AA-JL partner site describes ( https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp )? Booking is done via AA.

JJeffrey Sep 5, 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow (Post 31493111)
Quick, dumb question...if I book a mixed PE itinerary (E fare) on AA with a segment flown on JL, does that segment accrue EQD based on the fare (i.e. the AA method) or based on 20% of the distance flown which is what the AA-JL partner site describes ( https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp )? Booking is done via AA.

With AA earning it doesn't matter where the booking was done, all that matters is the flight number you book.

So if it's an AA flight number but operated by JL it will still earn according to the AA table. If it's a JL flight number it will earn according to the JL table.

calmasahinducow Sep 5, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31493566)
With AA earning it doesn't matter where the booking was done, all that matters is the flight number you book.

So if it's an AA flight number but operated by JL it will still earn according to the AA table. If it's a JL flight number it will earn according to the JL table.

Perfect, thanks.

cheaptom Sep 5, 2019 12:04 pm

First time using gold perks

Got the "free trial" of gold status and have a flight next month LAX-ORD-SDF. My employer paid for a coach ticket, so I got no perks or anything via my own credit cards.

Never had status before, so I read the perks of gold membership and saw all the benefits. My question is, how do I take advantage of these? For example, do I call AA and ask for an upgrade, a preferred seat, earlier boarding, etc.? I see there is an "auto-requested" upgrade, so does calling help me at all?

Thanks for any tips.

MathMusic Sep 5, 2019 12:14 pm

If you log onto your reservation on AA.com you should be able to select preferred seats, and request upgrades from there. All flights under 500 miles are auto-requested for upgrades without you having to do anything else. The earlier boarding group should happen automatically when you check in.

JJeffrey Sep 5, 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31494187)
Got the "free trial" of gold status and have a flight next month LAX-ORD-SDF. My employer paid for a coach ticket, so I got no perks or anything via my own credit cards.

Never had status before, so I read the perks of gold membership and saw all the benefits. My question is, how do I take advantage of these? For example, do I call AA and ask for an upgrade, a preferred seat, earlier boarding, etc.? I see there is an "auto-requested" upgrade, so does calling help me at all?

Thanks for any tips.

As long as your AA# is in your reservation then most benefits will come automatically, no need to call or anything.

You can pull up your reservation at aa.com and select preferred seats for no charge. You can also select which flights you would like to request an upgrade on. LAX-ORD is probably unlikely as a Gold but would require 4 500-mi. upgrades should it clear. ORD-SDF is under 500 miles, so this upgrade would be auto-requested as it's complimentary for all elites if it clears. Once you check-in your boarding pass will reflect your status and let you use any priority security lanes and priority boarding (as a Gold you will be Group 4).

Eujeanie Sep 5, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31494234)
As long as your AA# is in your reservation then most benefits will come automatically, no need to call or anything.

You can pull up your reservation at aa.com and select preferred seats for no charge. You can also select which flights you would like to request an upgrade on. LAX-ORD is probably unlikely as a Gold but would require 4 500-mi. upgrades should it clear. ORD-SDF is under 500 miles, so this upgrade would be auto-requested as it's complimentary for all elites if it clears. Once you check-in your boarding pass will reflect your status and let you use any priority security lanes and priority boarding (as a Gold you will be Group 4).

Do these Gold benefits extend to a companion on the same PNR but without status?

swag Sep 5, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31494187)

Thanks for any tips.

One other Gold perk is a Main Cabin Extra seat for free at check-in. These can go quickly, so you'll want to check in right at T-24 andgrab what is available.

MathMusic Sep 5, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 31494369)
One other Gold perk is a Main Cabin Extra seat for free at check-in. These can go quickly, so you'll want to check in right at T-24 andgrab what is available.

Although on any multi-leg trips I have to check before each individual leg at T-24h for the MCE seats. But the AA app makes it easy to change your seat as higher level elites get upgraded into first to grab a good MCE seat.