FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

guv1976 May 1, 19 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan (Post 31058144)
Can I book Iberia and Etihad segments on one, one way award ticket?

Maybe. It depends on the routing, and whether the "most significant carrier" on the routing offers a published through-fare from origin to destination that permits the use of IB and EY on such a fare.

JJeffrey May 1, 19 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan (Post 31058144)
Can I book Iberia and Etihad segments on one, one way award ticket?

Of course you can, subject to the more advanced rules that guv mentioned above. I have done MAD-LHR-AUH on a single award using IB & EY, for example.

But don't get caught up in trying to decipher fare rules, if you think you've found space just give AA a call and try to book it. If for whatever the reason they can't book it as a single award, then come back here and post the details and we can try to troubleshoot.

BA_Jfan May 2, 19 4:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31058161)
Maybe. It depends on the routing, and whether the "most significant carrier" on the routing offers a published through-fare from origin to destination that permits the use of IB and EY on such a fare.

Thanks. My routing would be AUH-MAD-JFK, with AUH-MAD on Etihad and MAD-JFK on IB.

JDiver May 2, 19 9:13 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan (Post 31059178)

Thanks. My routing would be AUH-MAD-JFK, with AUH-MAD on Etihad and MAD-JFK on IB.

Iím not sure which would be the most significant carrier in this instance, though it appears Iberia would be. Iberia would have to sell an unconstructed fare AUH-MAD-JFK for the award to be priced as a single award, AFAIK.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

JJeffrey May 2, 19 12:33 pm

But again, I would forget about trying to decipher the fare rules first, if you've found dates that look to have availability by all means call AA and try to book it.

coregis May 2, 19 4:00 pm

Are there any additional charges beyond the YQ you pay online when flying BA metal from Europe to NA in J (actually U)? I seem to vaguely recall reading about a luxury or exit tax or something. 2 of us would be on a connecting international flight to London, then on to the US. Our other option is AA metal from Berlin, but to get to Berlin makes it a wash costwise.

I also am choosing between business on AA 767 or BA 747 or BA 777. Reviews online seem to say upper deck BA 747 is the best of the bunch, but you can't choose seats for free and really they all seem pretty similar to me. Is it worth taking that into consideration?

MADPhil May 2, 19 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by coregis (Post 31061298)
Are there any additional charges beyond the YQ you pay online when flying BA metal from Europe to NA in J (actually U)? I seem to vaguely recall reading about a luxury or exit tax or something. 2 of us would be on a connecting international flight to London, then on to the US. Our other option is AA metal from Berlin, but to get to Berlin makes it a wash costwise.

I also am choosing between business on AA 767 or BA 747 or BA 777. Reviews online seem to say upper deck BA 747 is the best of the bunch, but you can't choose seats for free and really they all seem pretty similar to me. Is it worth taking that into consideration?

You don't pay the UK passenger fee if you are connecting (under 24h). BA 747 Upper deck is a good experience but otherwise AA J is probably better and you get to choose seats free.

flyingeph12 May 2, 19 4:34 pm

BA 747 upper deck, and in particular the window seats, are great because you have huge storage bins along the side of the aircraft for storing things. Additionally, for those who don't like cramped footwells, the BA J seats don't have that problem. Finally, the upper deck in general has a private, more exclusive feel.

But you are right, if you don't have Sapphire or Emerald elite status with Oneworld, you cannot preselect your seats with BA. And the other J seats on BA are significantly inferior.

JJeffrey May 2, 19 6:02 pm

And to add to the above, when you're looking at these awards at aa.com, the taxes/fees you're quoted include everything. It's not as if AA or BA hit you up after the fact for any extra taxes or fees.

gateH15 May 2, 19 6:05 pm

aa 767 has direct aisle access. None of the BA planes have that in J. So I would fly on AA metal. Please note that aa 767 does not have build in IFE, they give you tablet to use for entertainment.

SpammersAreScum May 2, 19 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31061602)

aa 767 has direct aisle access. None of the BA planes have that in J. So I would fly on AA metal. Please note that aa 767 does not have build in IFE, they give you tablet to use for entertainment.

"None of the BA planes have [direct aisle access] in J." Huh? I'm having trouble conceiving of a definition of "direct aisle access" where this could be true. Can you enlighten me, please?

gateH15 May 2, 19 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 31061902)
"None of the BA planes have [direct aisle access] in J." Huh? I'm having trouble conceiving of a definition of "direct aisle access" where this could be true. Can you enlighten me, please?

what I meant is that all AA long haul planes have direct aisle access for every seat (except 757).
BA has seats in pairs so if you have a window seat you have to step over someone

JDiver May 2, 19 11:26 pm

If you’re flying out of the U.K.* to start or have a connection exceeding 23:59 you’ll also pay the Air Passenger Duty (AOD), an excise tax. Full tax in F or J, reduced in Y, PE. Connecting under #4:00, no APD.

*Except BFS, or Scottish highlands or islands airports.

JDiver May 2, 19 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31061942)

what I meant is that all AA long haul planes have direct aisle access for every seat (except 757).
BA has seats in pairs so if you have a window seat you have to step over someone

It depends on the aircraft. Some seat pairs actually do have aisle access, such as 20 A, E, F, K in the 747 with F. There are others. Most center and window seats do not have aisle access in wide body Club World seats, a few do. BAEC forum...

DSM Flyer May 3, 19 6:52 am

Apologies for what I'm sure is a repeat question, but is it normal to be charged a fare difference for same day flight change when routing is different but origin and destination cities remain the same? Due to forecast storms at DFW this evening I was wanting to change my routing to a similar timed flight via PHX. No options were shown under SDFC in the AA app, and when I called the Gold line I was told it would be $500+ to change routing. FAQ on AA.com just says "origin and destination cities must remain the same".

Thanks in advance for any clarification, just wondering if I should HUCA or take my chances in DFW...