FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Shadowfactor May 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by rustum76 (Post 31109636)
I am travelling very frequently for last 12 months. I have earned my last 500 mile bonus on Nov 27, 2018. I have earned another 50k EQM's after that. Not sure why i am not getting any 500 mile upgrades since then. What i am missing? Please help.

only AA gold and Platinums receive 500 mile stickers. If you are above Platinum you will not earn them as u grades are complimentary.

rustum76 May 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31109746)

only AA gold and Platinums receive 500 mile stickers. If you are above Platinum you will not earn them as u grades are complimentary.

Thanks for the information. 500 mile stickers can be carried over to future years.

MADPhil May 17, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by rustum76 (Post 31110028)
Thanks for the information. 500 mile stickers can be carried over to future years.

Your stickers will remain valid as long as you have an AAdvantage account. You can use them to upgrade people travelling with you or save them for your own use if your status falls.

manlinear May 18, 2019 11:28 am

Hey guys, I have AA miles & UR points. Flying from OGG to DFW. Saw etihad has fantastic redemption rates at 12,500 eco and 25k biz eti miles flying American Airlines metal. I got real excited and put a reservation on hold. But then it hit me, how do i transfer what i have (AA & UR) to etihad miles to book an AA flight?
What are my quickest options here if any?

guv1976 May 18, 2019 11:45 am

Originally Posted by manlinear (Post 31114563)
Hey guys, I have AA miles & UR points. Flying from OGG to DFW. Saw etihad has fantastic redemption rates at 12,500 eco and 25k biz eti miles flying American Airlines metal. I got real excited and put a reservation on hold. But then it hit me, how do i transfer what i have (AA & UR) to etihad miles to book an AA flight?
What are my quickest options here if any?

You don't: AA miles cannot be transferred to another FFP, and Etihad is not a UR transfer partner.

But don't be too sad: Etihad does not charge 12,500 miles for a flight between OGG and DFW; it charges 17,500 miles off-peak, and 22,500 miles peak -- exactly what it costs if you redeem AA miles.

manlinear May 18, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31114603)
You don't: AA miles cannot be transferred to another FFP, and Etihad is not a UR transfer partner.

But don't be too sad: Etihad does not charge 12,500 miles for a flight between OGG and DFW; it charges 17,500 miles off-peak, and 22,500 miles peak -- exactly what it costs if you redeem AA miles.

Bummer, was worth the try.
Actually, i have the reservation in my inbox. Was 50k miles. 4 ppl flying eco OGG-DFW one way.

guv1976 May 18, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by manlinear (Post 31114609)
Bummer, was worth the try.
Actually, i have the reservation in my inbox. Was 50k miles. 4 ppl flying eco OGG-DFW one way.

I'm not sure it would actually ticket at that price. If you look at the Etihad redemption chart for AA, you'll see that, under domestic region redemptions, there's a separate line for domestic redemptions to/from Hawaii. Etihad generally mirrors AA's redemption rates for award travel on AA.

Ilove2fly May 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Consider buying BA basic economy tickets. It does not allow standard carry on but no checked bags. I believe I will be AA gold by the time the trip occurs. Would AA gold allow an extra checked bag on BA? If not, I will have to spend a little more for the economy standard.

alaskaforlife May 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 31109225)
House wine, Budweiser (or similar) draught, well drinks (typically all institutional brands like McCormick, but occasionally a lower-priced brand sold at retail appears). House vodka with a mixer of some sort is usually pretty safe. Anything from the soda gun is complimentary. Bottled water and sparkling wine are not.

I usually drink cocktails. Should I just ask the bartender for any complementary cocktail offerings? SFO snack offerings is such a joke...

JJeffrey May 19, 2019 6:25 am

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife (Post 31115831)
I usually drink cocktails. Should I just ask the bartender for any complementary cocktail offerings? SFO snack offerings is such a joke...

Yes. As mentioned above it is perfectly fine to ask what liquor they have as complimentary, or just ask for whatever drink you want with the house/complimentary liquor, etc. etc.

NYC Flyer May 19, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife (Post 31115831)

No need to ask. Only "well" spirits are complimentary, and they are usually private label/generic options. Just say what cocktail (and by cocktail I mean simple mixed drink) you want and the bartender will generally ask if "well" is OK or whether you want a specific brand. 99% chance there will be a charge for any brand name you've ever ordered by name before.

Eurynom0s May 19, 2019 5:49 pm

I generally don't fly AA, but I had AA miles to burn, so I have a real newb question here: on my upcoming AA flight, there's an option to specify what food item I want ahead of time. Since it says you pay once on board, I'm assuming that I can change my mind and just not take it without being charged for it?

guv1976 May 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 31117987)
I generally don't fly AA, but I had AA miles to burn, so I have a real newb question here: on my upcoming AA flight, there's an option to specify what food item I want ahead of time. Since it says you pay once on board, I'm assuming that I can change my mind and just not take it without being charged for it?

What route and what class of service?

Eurynom0s May 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31118044)
What route and what class of service?

LAX-RDU, coach.

gateH15 May 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 31117987)

you won’t be charged. And 90% of the time they won’t even acknowledge you preordered something.