FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

MADPhil May 5, 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 31069603)
Thank you very much once again. Your suggestions are reasonable and understood. Now I’m thinking about the outbound NYC-LHR flight(s). Considering I live near NYC and it would involve dropping the FIRST segment, wondering how much more challenging it would be to book LAX-JFK-LHR and try to drop the LAX-JFK segment.

(Fondly recalling the “stopover allowed at North America gateway city” AA rules of a few years ago, then this would all be a no-brainer and I’d end up with a “free” JFK-LAX business class ticket. ;) )

Thanks again JJeffrey.

The problem with this is that if you just skip the first segment then AA will cancel the second one and if you try to drop it there will have to be availability or you will have to redeposit and get a full price award.

kmandrew May 5, 2019 3:48 pm

I’m looking for 2 J Saver seats MCI-CDG for around April 1, everything showing up is BA. I found 2 LAX-CDG on TN, even DFW-CDG worked however when I put in MCI they go away.
OK so I check MCI-LAX saver - it is available on the early flight, can I put these both reservations on separate holds then ask the Plantinum desk to marry them into one 57.5k award?

Mwenenzi May 5, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 31070447)
I’m looking for 2 J Saver seats MCI-CDG for around April 1, everything showing up is BA. I found 2 LAX-CDG on TN, even DFW-CDG worked however when I put in MCI they go away.
OK so I check MCI-LAX saver - it is available on the early flight, can I put these both reservations on separate holds then ask the Plantinum desk to marry them into one 57.5k award?

From AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?
AA fly CDG - CLT (s), DFW, JFK, MIA, ORD (s), PHL

Many threads / posts on problems with AA awards

Dr Jabadski May 5, 2019 9:10 pm

Thank you JDiver and MADPhil. I should have known that this has already been discussed extensively in the FT forums.

COLONELMIKE64 May 6, 2019 10:02 am

Struggling to figure out the best way to make a mixed domestic award / paid booking where one party (my daughter) is 15.

The flight would be end-June (not inside of the 21-day window). Basically, I have 43,000 miles and not enough time to earn/transfer up to the requisite 50,000 miles to get a pair of round trip tickets. The cost for an additional mileage buy doesn't make sense, either. So I think the only way to do it is to get 3 award tickets and pay for the return trip - I'm just not sure how that return would work since my minor daughter would then have her own reservation on the return.

Is the only way to do this to call an agent? Any ways to reduce telephone booking fees? Thanks in advance.

MADPhil May 6, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by COLONELMIKE64 (Post 31072588)
Struggling to figure out the best way to make a mixed domestic award / paid booking where one party (my daughter) is 15.

The flight would be end-June (not inside of the 21-day window). Basically, I have 43,000 miles and not enough time to earn/transfer up to the requisite 50,000 miles to get a pair of round trip tickets. The cost for an additional mileage buy doesn't make sense, either. So I think the only way to do it is to get 3 award tickets and pay for the return trip - I'm just not sure how that return would work since my minor daughter would then have her own reservation on the return.

Is the only way to do this to call an agent? Any ways to reduce telephone booking fees? Thanks in advance.

You should be able to buy the tickets online as your daughter is old enough to travel on her own. AA may want proof of age when she travels. You may have to pay for seats to ensure that you sit together and, since there is no way to reliably link your reservations with one paid and one award ticket, you will have to be pro-active to ensure that you stay together if flights are disrupted.

COLONELMIKE64 May 6, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 31072676)
You should be able to buy the tickets online as your daughter is old enough to travel on her own. AA may want proof of age when she travels. You may have to pay for seats to ensure that you sit together and, since there is no way to reliably link your reservations with one paid and one award ticket, you will have to be pro-active to ensure that you stay together if flights are disrupted.

Thanks, I just tried to process it this way but the AA system won't allow me to book a flight for someone under 16 online.

MADPhil May 6, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by COLONELMIKE64 (Post 31072855)
Thanks, I just tried to process it this way but the AA system won't allow me to book a flight for someone under 16 online.

Thanks for the update, I apologise for misleading you but it seemed logical that they would allow it. I hope that they don't charge a fee for the telephone bookings. Did it work for the outbound where you are both on the same PNR?

ETA: welcome to FT, as you can see we are all learning new things so please stick around :)

JDiver May 6, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by COLONELMIKE64 (Post 31072588)

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Calling if the transaction can’t be done online does not incur fees.

If you’re getting awards for two, I think the 15 year old should get the two award tickets on the same PNR. That could make some things easier, and the adult earns miles on the paid ticket - presumably an adult with an AAdvantage account.

I’d also request the AA rep “add a TCP note to each PNR” - that means adding a “to complete party” note in the record somany employee working with the record in case of irregular operations (“irops”) can keep the two parties together if reaccommodation becomes necessary.

If traveling to another country, check for requirements for minors, such as a notarupized letter signed by both parents or proof only one person has custody.

Core2Quad May 7, 2019 3:56 am

Hello.

I have 60K AAdvantage miles that expire in 10 days. In longer have an AA co-branded credit card, so I need to do some activity in order for my miles to not expire.

I was thinking about using the AAdvantage eShopping mall to buy a few things from Walmart. Will this work to extend my mileage expiration date? When will I get the miles in my account, I want to make sure I get them in the next 10 days and not after, because then my 60K miles might be gone.

Or any other suggestions for easy things I can do to extend my miles?

JJeffrey May 7, 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Core2Quad (Post 31075135)
Hello.

I have 60K AAdvantage miles that expire in 10 days. In longer have an AA co-branded credit card, so I need to do some activity in order for my miles to not expire.

I was thinking about using the AAdvantage eShopping mall to buy a few things from Walmart. Will this work to extend my mileage expiration date? When will I get the miles in my account, I want to make sure I get them in the next 10 days and not after, because then my 60K miles might be gone.

Or any other suggestions for easy things I can do to extend my miles?

Check out the dedicated thread for lots of ideas and data points, etc..

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html

COLONELMIKE64 May 7, 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31073748)
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Calling if the transaction can’t be done online does not incur fees.

If you’re getting awards for two, I think the 15 year old should get the two award tickets on the same PNR. That could make some things easier, and the adult earns miles on the paid ticket - presumably an adult with an AAdvantage account.

I’d also request the AA rep “add a TCP note to each PNR” - that means adding a “to complete party” note in the record somany employee working with the record in case of irregular operations (“irops”) can keep the two parties together if reaccommodation becomes necessary.

If traveling to another country, check for requirements for minors, such as a notarupized letter signed by both parents or proof only one person has custody.

Thank you both for the welcome and your suggestions! I did end up calling AA to get it set-up and the agent waived the 2nd booking fee (the first, for my minor daughter, was automatically waived. As you said, they do not charge if forced to call-in to book). Technically, they could have charged a booking fee for making the second PNR since I could have done that piece online. Even the booking agent didn't know that 15-year olds were in their own group, though - old enough to not receive the unaccompanied minor fee but young enough to still require manual booking. Makes no sense. I also don't understand why their system doesn't allow for a mixed paid / award reservation but that's another topic. Thanks again.

JDiver May 7, 2019 10:07 am

Originally Posted by COLONELMIKE64 (Post 31076114)
Thank you both for the welcome and your suggestions! I did end up calling AA to get it set-up and the agent waived the 2nd booking fee (the first, for my minor daughter, was automatically waived. As you said, they do not charge if forced to call-in to book). Technically, they could have charged a booking fee for making the second PNR since I could have done that piece online. Even the booking agent didn't know that 15-year olds were in their own group, though - old enough to not receive the unaccompanied minor fee but young enough to still require manual booking. Makes no sense. I also don't understand why their system doesn't allow for a mixed paid / award reservation but that's another topic. Thanks again.

Glad you were able to get that straightened out.

The Sabre system is built in antiquated code and it shows.

Prior to the merger, AA had a contract with Hewlett Packard Enterprise to develop an entirely new passenger service system to be called “Jetstream”, but bankruptcy put that idea to rest and Doug Parker chose to use Sabre for AA PSS going forward. https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ct-termination

fredshino May 7, 2019 10:20 am

Need some help with upgrade options from paid Premium Economy (P fare) to Business. We're flying IAD-MIA-GIG round-trip. We have no status.

1) Are there any paid upgrade options during check-in for international flights? If so, how much should I expect?

2) Can I upgrade with miles with no status? It says I need 15k miles to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business. Does a P fare qualify for that?

3) Worst case scenario, can I use stickers to upgrade the domestic segments? (I know my chances are close to none but it doesn't hurt to try).

Thanks!

JJeffrey May 7, 2019 10:53 am

Originally Posted by fredshino (Post 31076187)
Need some help with upgrade options from paid Premium Economy (P fare) to Business. We're flying IAD-MIA-GIG round-trip. We have no status.

1) Are there any paid upgrade options during check-in for international flights? If so, how much should I expect?

2) Can I upgrade with miles with no status? It says I need 15k miles to upgrade from Premium Economy to Business. Does a P fare qualify for that?

3) Worst case scenario, can I use stickers to upgrade the domestic segments? (I know my chances are close to none but it doesn't hurt to try).

Thanks!

1) If there are still seats available in business that aren't likely to be filled with upgrades, then AA will sometimes have cash upgrade offers when you check-in via a kiosk or online/app. Check the below thread for details

LFBU's, Load Factor Based Upgrade: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

2) You don't need status to upgrade with miles. 15k is from full fare Premium Economy (W). P is discount Premium Economy, so it will require 25k miles + $350 each way.

3) You cannot use stickers to upgrade the domestic segments if you don't have any status. Your profile says EXP, btw.