Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just to note that on Viasat flights, I have had the option of watching 20-30 second commercials, and then getting 20 minutes of free Wi-Fi.

I was able to do this on Sunday flight and today.

When the 20 minutes are up, you can watch another commercial and get another 20 free minutes....

Click on Get Online at aainflight.com and scroll down....
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bxbkqu
When the 20 minutes are up, you can watch another commercial and get another 20 free minutes....
That never worked for me; I've gotten only one 20 minutes session per flight. Yes, I cleared the cookies, tried using incognito mode, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bxbkqu
Just to note that on Viasat flights, I have had the option of watching 20-30 second commercials, and then getting 20 minutes of free Wi-Fi.

I was able to do this on Sunday flight and today.

Click on Get Online at aainflight.com and scroll down....
Do you have your device set for Randomized MAC/Private Wi-Fi Address (or something like that) and toggle on those settings, perhaps also with toggling off and on the WiFi toggle?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 8:45 pm

Wifi

Just me or is anyone else tired of paying for wifi that doesn’t work
ExpatExp and mwood19004 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:46 am

On a new 788 right now and pleasantly surprised to find Viasat instead of Panasonic. Is this the plan for all 787 deliveries going forward? No plans to retrofit the Panasonic aircraft I assume?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:16 pm

I'm not getting 30 minute free sessions anymore.

This is disappointing because AA's wifi rates are much higher than the competitive market.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Cost Of A Wi-Fi Session

What are people paying for a wi-fi session?

I don't usually buy it because of price, but last time I was on a transcon (PHL-LAS) it was $9 for the entire flight, which seemed very reasonable.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
The pricing on AA is so weird. Sometimes the all flight pricing is surprisingly cheap, and sometimes it's shockingly expensive. It doesn't seem to correlate well to segment length either. Thankfully, I get free wifi on all AA flights.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:32 am

Prices vary by provider (Panasonic, Viasat, and Gogo).

The cost on some American flights is maddening... it can reach into the $29-$35 range for a full flight session for domestic flights. By comparison, United only charges $8 for a full flight session for all domestic flights and some short-haul international.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Between lucking out and being on planes that have it free for T Mobile users and being on planes that have comp 20 or 30 minute sessions (that every time I have used again on the same flight) the cost for me is $0.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by rucksack
Prices vary by provider (Panasonic, Viasat, and Gogo).

The cost on some American flights is maddening... it can reach into the $29-$35 range for a full flight session for domestic flights. By comparison, United only charges $8 for a full flight session for all domestic flights and some short-haul international.
That makes sense. To be fair, not that this excuses some of the prices on AA, but UA wifi is highly unreliable, IME, and AA's is consistently the most reliable on any airline.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:45 am

On the A321Ts is $25 per flight on JFK-SFO/LAX/SNA.. The service provider is Viasat
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I just signed up for the two device Wi-Fi service. I’m currently on the device I signed up for the service on. However, how do I sign on to the service on another device? There’s no option to login? I imagine this will also be the same thing I’ll have to do when I get on another flight on this device…
——
Edit - I chatted with customer service, they had me go to private mode on safari and aainflight.com (or whatever it is) and I was able to see a “login” button that way! Hope this helps anyone else with this issue in the future.

Last edited by Juanefny; Jan 5, 2023 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by enviroian
Between lucking out and being on planes that have it free for T Mobile users and being on planes that have comp 20 or 30 minute sessions (that every time I have used again on the same flight) the cost for me is $0.
I'm wondering if AA will follow DL and begin offering free Wifi. As a TMobile customer I was hopeful when the announcement was made several months ago about expanded free wifi on AA, DL and UA for TMobile customers. I have been able to access free wifi on Alaska flights, but there has been no change on AA's Viasat equipped aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Juanefny
I just signed up for the two device Wi-Fi service. I’m currently on the device I signed up for the service on. However, how do I sign on to the service on another device? There’s no option to login? I imagine this will also be the same thing I’ll have to do when I get on another flight on this device…
——
Edit - I chatted with customer service, they had me go to private mode on safari and aainflight.com (or whatever it is) and I was able to see a “login” button that way! Hope this helps anyone else with this issue in the future.
Rather than the two-device plan, I would recommend a personal WiFi router. This will give you unlimited devices via a single device plan. Here's one such device on Amazon. There are others makes and models available.

Amazon Amazon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.