Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Hoc
So, I have an AA Inflight monthly subscription, and need to cancel it. However, nowhere do I see any instructions on how to cancel (specifically, to whom do I send the request?) Does anyone here have that information?
You can find it here:

https://support.aainflight.com

The fourth item in the FAQ says this:

When I cancelled I called them. Took a couple of minutes. You might be able to use the Chat option on that page, I've not tried it.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:06 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by BTA
I used T-Mobile free wifi yesterday. Are you sure it was a gogo flight? Other than LUS A319/320, and RJs, most of the fleet is Viasat
It definitely was gogo. It was an RJ flight and the login page only had ipass as a roaming partner (viasat has boingo), and there was gogo logos on the page. Plus the URL had gogo in it.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:03 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Strange.

more flights yesterday. One Gogo with this splash screen. Other was viasat and no Gogo option. No screenshot either, sorry.

Gogo wifi on AA

Originally Posted by jason8612
It definitely was gogo. It was an RJ flight and the login page only had ipass as a roaming partner (viasat has boingo), and there was gogo logos on the page. Plus the URL had gogo in it.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:42 pm

Does anyone know if WiFi is available over Mexico. Flying DFW MEX on 737. I know GoGo didn’t work over Mexico in the past. But does viasat have coverage ?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/UAG
In flight Wifi

Hey,
So I use Tmobile for my cell but I have not been on a AA flight in a long time that provided free wifi too TMobile users.

I find myself searcihing for ways to get online and there are three options seems like my choices are, an hour, a flight or a Boingo subscription....

Does anyone use Boingo? I am curious what flyers find the most cost effective...

Last edited by juniorflyer78; Mar 3, 2022 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by juniorflyer78
Hey,
So I use mobile but I have not been on a AA flight in a long time that provided free wifi too TMobile suers.

seems like my choices are, an hour, a flight or a Boingo subscription....

What do you use?
I don't understand the question.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I don't understand the question.
Sounds like he is asking how we all get online while in the air.

I personally don't go online while in flight....I once had aboingo subscription....but as of now I think its all a waste.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have a monthly subscription with AA for ~$50. Covers the narrow body fleet except for flights to South America.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hey,
So I use Tmobile for my cell but I have not been on a AA flight in a long time that provided free wifi too TMobile users.

I find myself searcihing for ways to get online and there are three options seems like my choices are, an hour, a flight or a Boingo subscription....

Does anyone use Boingo? I am curious what flyers find the most cost effective...
The T-Mobile free Wi-fi is only on Eagle RJ aircraft with Gogo inflight. If you are on mainline aircraft, it will be viasat and there is no T-Mobile.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ceebee100
The T-Mobile free Wi-fi is only on Eagle RJ aircraft with Gogo inflight. If you are on mainline aircraft, it will be viasat and there is no T-Mobile.

ah...that makes sense...
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

I'll merge this into the extant WiFi help thread for findability and posterity.

~Moderator
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Heads up, I sent an email to the email provided last month ([email protected]), got no response, so resent, and it never got canceled, causing a charge for another month. I tried calling the number, but no one answers. I was able to finally get canceled via the chat option.

A few things I prefer about UA's WiFi service.
*It appears on your card as a United charge/service, so counts toward the Amex airline credits for those that have them.
*Their website allows you to easily cancel your subscription, so you can buy a 30-day subscription and cancel it immediately (service continues for the 30 days). With UA, I just buy 30-day subscriptions when I have a number of trips back-to back and it makes sense financially.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
WiFi to Hawaii on A321neo

Relative making near-term very short notice flight. He insists he needs over-water internet connection for business. (Which sounds absolutely depressing on your way to Hawaii, but I digress).

His best routing would be leaving from LAX, where he will be by then anyway, flying on an AA A321neo. (The alternative would be to backtrack to Phoenix or even home to DFW and get on an AA widebody, or another airline). He has something above Platinum on AA and wants the miles to requalify if possible.

The AA website lets you type in flight numbers to check WiFi availability, but answers the question by displaying an icon. (Which gets me back to why don't they just say "yes" or "no" anyway. Even if that makes me sound even older than I am).

The icons for widebodys obviously indicate availability. A321neos are . . . .confusing. They display an icon that looks like you are looking through a streaky windshield with a wiper stuck on the right side. Don't have a clue what that even means.

From an outside source it appears most AA A321s are equipped with a vendor that does not work over the Pacific. But that map is dated, and I suppose the over-water planes would be a sub-fleet.

But I'm guessing. Does anyone know from recent experience?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by bcm0830
Heads up, I sent an email to the email provided last month ([email protected]), got no response, so resent, and it never got canceled, causing a charge for another month. I tried calling the number, but no one answers. I was able to finally get canceled via the chat option.

A few things I prefer about UA's WiFi service.
*It appears on your card as a United charge/service, so counts toward the Amex airline credits for those that have them.
*Their website allows you to easily cancel your subscription, so you can buy a 30-day subscription and cancel it immediately (service continues for the 30 days). With UA, I just buy 30-day subscriptions when I have a number of trips back-to back and it makes sense financially.
If you buy the AA monthly wifi subscription in advance, you also can have it rebated via select Amex cards. This is something that is not limited to United.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If you buy the AA monthly wifi subscription in advance, you also can have it rebated via select Amex cards. This is something that is not limited to United.
Would you mind providing some more information on this. What rebates are available and which cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.