Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage PLT Pro

I am pretty sure that there are only about 10 people who care about this, but nevertheless I continue ...

I am currently on the second leg of an American Airlines 2 leg trip from Boise to Tokyo, via DFW. I splurged and bought GogoInflight on the BOI->DFW leg, and a second pass for the DFW->NRT flight. I uploaded a file on the BOI->DFW leg and saw < 20kB/s (that Kilobytes/second!) upload speeds. More typically, 1-2 kB/second. On the second leg, I bought a pass for the new AA inflight service (more expensive - $19 vs the $12 for GogoInflight). But the speeds are about 10 times as fast as the GogoInflight.

Just thought I'd offer this as a data point ...
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA has 3 different wifi providers

1. Panasonic Satellite Wifi (your DFW-NRT flight)
2. Gogo cellular ground based wifi (domestic aircraft)
3. Viasat Satellite Wifi (replacing Gogo)

1 and 3 are significantly faster. Gogo is basically connecting to a cell tower far below. Now imagine splitting cellular 3G/4G over an entire plane.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had a 2ku A320 late last year. It was amazing. That'dbe the fourth type, but an off spin of gogo (doesn't require a separate login/plan)
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
The provider isn't new as others have said. GoGo had exclusive previously on the Non Long Haul fleet. This is now shared with ViaSat at present. Some GoGo aircraft have 2KU upgrades - but very few do. AA ended their domestic exclusive with AA and we now see ViaSat also.

The Long Haul fleet ALWAYS had Panasonic (initially brokered through T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom for billing but now directly billed from Panasonic) - that has been live with those high speeds for 2+ years on a majority of the Long Haul fleet (some exceptions)

The new ViaSat on domestic is similar higher speeds but is on VERY few aircraft right now.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:49 pm

Anywhere we can what wifi services are offered on flights?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jmichals39
Anywhere we can what wifi services are offered on flights?
This site offers a listing of each aircraft along with wifi type, among other handy details.
https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:43 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by aschuett
This site offers a listing of each aircraft along with wifi type, among other handy details.
https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/
I'm sure everyone knows this except me ... but ... is there any way to find out (in advance) which tail number and/or ship number your upcoming flight is scheduled to use?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'm sure everyone knows this except me ... but ... is there any way to find out (in advance) which tail number and/or ship number your upcoming flight is scheduled to use?
A couple of sources - one is flightstats.com - search for a flight, then choose "See AAxxx flight details". The tail number is what you need.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
How’s AA dealing with folks that have unlimited monthly Gogo plans? Are we gonna have to buy two different monthly subs? That’ll be a disaster.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kesco
How’s AA dealing with folks that have unlimited monthly Gogo plans? Are we gonna have to buy two different monthly subs? That’ll be a disaster.
Yes. Two (or three if you need wide body wi-fi) plans.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
First, for the new Wi-Fi to be 10x faster than my most recent GoGo (ORD-LHR), it would only need to be about 1.0 Mbps.

Originally Posted by akarneboge
Yes. Two (or three if you need wide body wi-fi) plans.
This sucks, especially if you bought an annual plan, expecting to travel on AA ... and they change the game while your annual plan has many months remaining.

Some enterprising company oughtta be able to make a tidy profit on selling "Inflight Wi-Fi Access, no matter which airplane you happen to stumble into".
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
First, for the new Wi-Fi to be 10x faster than my most recent GoGo (ORD-LHR), it would only need to be about 1.0 Mbps.

This sucks, especially if you bought an annual plan, expecting to travel on AA ... and they change the game while your annual plan has many months remaining.

Some enterprising company oughtta be able to make a tidy profit on selling "Inflight Wi-Fi Access, no matter which airplane you happen to stumble into".
There is already a product called iPass which gets you access to wi-fi all over the world, not just on airplanes. It, however, requires an app to be open on your device, making it a non-option for me.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:58 am

I read an article a little while back that said AA was working on allowing access to ViaSat via GoGo credentials.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
There is already a product called iPass which gets you access to wi-fi all over the world, not just on airplanes. It, however, requires an app to be open on your device, making it a non-option for me.
Why?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Why?
Some folks (myself included) aren't allowed to install an app onto a corporate laptop.

But some folks (myself included) work in I.T. so we figure out ways to get around this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.