Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:03 am

AA wifi is expensive but works very well. I spent $8 on wifi on WN last night, which was completely useless. It could barely load up email, let alone perform any video capability. The AA business Mastercard saves a few bucks off the wifi, but a bigger discount would be appreciated.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Why? Same reason Hampton Inn offers free breakfast but full service Hilton charges $20 for it. They know what is mostly put on expense accounts.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Why? Same reason Hampton Inn offers free breakfast but full service Hilton charges $20 for it. They know what is mostly put on expense accounts.
Hampton Inn and Hilton aren't competing for the identical market demographic. AA is competing with DL, UA, WN directly and B6 in some markets and therefore IMO, this comparison doesn't apply.

Either AA has misread the market or WN, DL and UA are grossly undercharging and have misread their pricing power. Given the financial performance and margins on the latter airlines being much better than AA, I'm inclined to think that AA is the one who is off.
dvs7310 and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just flew SQ’s A350-900 UL SIN-LAX last night and they started offering complimentary wifi for J pax a few weeks ago.

Sure makes a 16hr flight easier.

Same ViaSat system AA uses for their Sat wifi.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:15 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Speculation: AA had a "shiny new thing" clause that let them get out of their contract with GoGo and start putting Viasat equipment in their airplanes. For this reason, they were the first large US airline to switch to Viasat -- my guess is that they have some cost-sharing with Viasat in their contract and Viasat does not wish to lower the cost. Since the other airlines switched later (or B6 has had free Wi-Fi all along), their contracts had different cost-sharing provisions (e.g. as a purchase of capacity per airplane and the airline keeps all of the revenue).
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA/ViaSat has more knowledge on supply/demand in making an informed pricing decision than anybody here on FT. According you don't need to worry about it. The market will correct for pricing discrepancies (if any). You just need to vote with your wallet.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
WN wifi does not compete with anything. It is utterly worthless and the equivalent of setting 8 dollar bills on fire.
dpb132 and 355F1 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Either AA has misread the market or WN, DL and UA are grossly undercharging and have misread their pricing power. Given the financial performance and margins on the latter airlines being much better than AA, I'm inclined to think that AA is the one who is off.
Might be. This would be such an easy thing for AA to do A/B testing on, since they don't advertise the price of Wi-Fi. Make it $29 one day, $8 the next day for the same flight. Do they get 4x the number of people at $8?

The monthly pass is $50, so I would imagine most people who fly regularly on AA (and want Wi-Fi) have it. Lowering the cost to $8/flight might discourage people from buying the pass.
dw and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I don't have monthly wifi right now because I'm mostly flying international after my next trip. What's the current pricing look like for transcons JFK<>SFO?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Red face Zoom on AA Wifi

I'm sure this will generate ire, but I want to listen into a Zoom meeting using AA wifi. Does their internet block Zoom? If I use my VPN, which would mask my IP, does that get around it? I have several connection options: iOS app, Mac app, iOS browners, Mac browsers.

Again, I want to listen only.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I haven't tried recently, but in my past experiences on Viasat, it works.

I've done the same thing many times. Listen via zoom or teams and contribute via typing/ the chat feature.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It should work. I've used it a few times. I also know Teams works (and, interestingly, Wi-Fi calling if you have that enabled on your phone).
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I did notice that TMO wifi calling works onboard LOL but never tried to make a call. Helps get SMS (non-iMessage) though.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I did notice that TMO wifi calling works onboard LOL but never tried to make a call. Helps get SMS (non-iMessage) though.
I noticed it a few weeks ago when I was watching a movie on my phone and a phone call came in. I didn't answer it but was surprised to see that worked.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
It works ok and should be ok to listen. I have done it a few times before (teams also), but I did sometimes get a drop or two where I had to reconnect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.