Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
It was supposed to eventually be on the whole fleet. But it’s been nearly a year since they announced this..:
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
On my last few flights on ViaSat equipped aircraft, I was able to send and receive text messages - Verizon using Google Messages app - without paying for Wi-Fi.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:26 pm

Anyone have any recent experiences on the newer Viasat 788's internationally? I'm assuming the monthly subscription doesn't work - is there free tmobile/free 20 minute wifi etc?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Anyone have any recent experiences on the newer Viasat 788's internationally? I'm assuming the monthly subscription doesn't work - is there free tmobile/free 20 minute wifi etc?

The monthly subscription worked on 772 equipment back in January/February. I believe it has been added recently as a option (perhaps because it took longer to negotiate with Panasonic over the subscription model vs. per-flight passes.

On a related note, yesterday I was on a ViaSat 737, and halfway through the flight, the WiFi system reset, and from that point forward, the "login" button disappeared, and only per-flight passes could be purchased (or Boingo roaming). No way to log in and use the subscription. Weird! Fortunately, I was able to work offline for the rest of the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:30 pm

AA 319 international wifi

hi all, flying to bogota on a newer A319. About 9 years old. Does anyone know if those aircraft have international wifi?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Only the widebodies have the Panasonic satellite wifi that goes outside the CONUS borders.

Last edited by PHL; Apr 27, 2023 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: CK or bust
"International" is a sticky word here as it's not uniquely for the Panasonic platform on widebodies -

You can get WiFi outside of the US on narrow bodies depending on the flavor of service available on that aircraft. That will provide some coverage for a good deal of Canada, Mexico, most of the Caribbean along with parts of Central America (but not all).
Old Apr 27, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Piloteg
hi all, flying to bogota on a newer A319. About 9 years old. Does anyone know if those aircraft have international wifi?
A319s do have internet access. They use gogoinflight so if you have T-Moble you will have complimentary access according to your plan during the flight. I have flown LIR-AUS & most recently, this month, MIA-PTY-MIA and had internet access throughout the flight.

James
Old May 3, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A319s do have internet access. They use gogoinflight so if you have T-Moble you will have complimentary access according to your plan during the flight. I have flown LIR-AUS & most recently, this month, MIA-PTY-MIA and had internet access throughout the flight.

James
I believe that was only for the ex-US/AW 319s? The ex-AA ones with the seatback IFE I believe are all ViaSat.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
I believe that was only for the ex-US/AW 319s? The ex-AA ones with the seatback IFE I believe are all ViaSat.
Good to know, I haven't found myself on an A319 with IFE.

James
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Most sensible way to purchase wifi on this itinerary?

If flying this weird itinerary, looking to find the most economical way to get someone wifi so that they would have it for all flights. May be more expensive to get individual flight or day passes and I am not familiar with subscription packages with gogo or viasat, or if they can be purchased in advance through a website. All times are approximate. Multi-city itinerary...
Day 1:
Flight 1 leaving 530AM eastern time, 2.5h flight - viasat wifi
Flight 2 leaving 845AM central time, 4h flight - viasat wifi
Pax will be off doing things at this destination for half a day and then onto...
Flight 3 leaving 1030PM pacific time, 6h flight, redeye - viasat wifi

Day 2:
Flight 4 leaving 930AM eastern time, 2h flight - gogo wifi
Pax will be at this destination for a few days and then...

Day 5:
Flight 5 leaving 1230PM eastern time, 1.5h flight - gogo wifi
Flight 6 leaving 3PM eastern time, 2h flight - gogo wifi
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Get the monthly subscription for 49.95. It's cheaper than buying it on 2 flights.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Get the monthly subscription for 49.95. It's cheaper than buying it on 2 flights.
Does it matter that some flights are gogo and some viasat? Separate plans? Website to buy on?
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rossodio
Does it matter that some flights are gogo and some viasat? Separate plans? Website to buy on?
It does not. It works for both.

I don't believe that you can buy it ahead though: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nnectivity.jsp
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
It does not. It works for both.

I don't believe that you can buy it ahead though: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nnectivity.jsp
This link is just what I needed! Monthly makes the most sense also for me on a different itinerary upcoming so will get a monthly.

There actually is a link where you can purchase the monthly subscription here - https://american-wifi-subscription.c...nt/#/pickapass

In case that might be helpful to post in any master threads related to wifi service on AA...

Thanks!
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.