Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I am in shock - Panasonic #1? I am still longing for the days when those planes used Deutsche Telekom. I find Panasonic to have severe issues in higher density areas (like NE coast) (I am assuming, but don't know how many sats they use, that they have too limited bandwidth), there are several areas over the atlantic where I feel I could welcome each byte personally. I would have ranked Panasonic last. It also likes to randomly disconnect the session - even during normal usage. a MUC-CLT or LHR-MIA flight usually requires me to log in at least 4-5 times
I agree. When it launched it was better than the Gogo ATG, and it seemed to work for most of the ocean crossing. Not so much now, although I did have good luck with it on DFW/PVG just before the beer virus hit. Overall though, it's been crap and recent AMS/DFW flight it was horrible and unusable -to the point that I requested a refund from them.

Gogo remains my favorite though, simply because I get it for free via Tmobile. Just wish they'd expand their partnership to include viasat as well, especially since they just made a big deal about (re)announcing in flight wifi as a benefit.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I must have had a pair of outliers then: Panasonic worked more than fine on JFK-MAD and was decent to good on LAX-MIA (used it for 30 minutes only after I work up). Yearly people's results vary and those with more international experience may be better measures of reliability than my two recent data points.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nuked
Very seldom have any issues on mainline fleet.
+1. Unless the system is down, you should be fine domestically on mainline jets.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone have a datapoint for AA wifi pricing on DCA-ORD? Flying there on Wednesday and am wondering if I should do two a la carte payments or blow a monthly pass from my Amex on it.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I've never had an issue with Domestic WiFi providers (e.g. non Panasonic aircraft), regardless if ViaSat or GoGo. Panasonic over-water on the other hand is just abysmal. I've stopped using it for overnight flights as it's a good chance it won't be working when I'm awake. On daytime/return flights it's out for about 30% of the flight and when it does work bandwidth is all over the map. This is routes like LHR-DFW, LHR-LAX and LHR-PHX. Those on LHR-JFK, or MAD-JFK, etc you may be getting a bit lucky with a slightly southern track and less issues with the sat service, but for me it's gone from 95% working when launched to about 50% (works 50% of the time but sometimes insanely latent).

My issues are device agnostic as I've tried my Apple iPad or Android phone and it's not my device issue but the satellite data service overall. Either they are overselling it greatly or Panasonic can't run this think at all. Rarely ever had an issue with Deutsche Telekom was the ISP for the service.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Aug 25, 2022 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Currently onboard AA 569 PHX-DFW on the 789. Panasonic Wi-Fi is mostly useless. When it works it’s abysmally slow as compared to Viasat. Lesson learned and I wouldn’t pay for it again domestically.
NickP 1K and hurnik like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by dpb132
Currently onboard AA 569 PHX-DFW on the 789. Panasonic Wi-Fi is mostly useless. When it works it’s abysmally slow as compared to Viasat. Lesson learned and I wouldn’t pay for it again domestically.
We are completely spoiled with the Viasat gate-to-gate WiFi. Nothing else comes close and generally leads to disappointment.
dpb132 and ceebee100 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:59 pm

Misleading and ignorant Boingo Staff

I was reading this thread and I went to contact Boingo. And sure enough, they provided the same canned response as Hmm88879797 wrote.

I sent them a screenshot of the app which clearly shows 12 airlines. They repeated what they said about having more airline partners than what the app states.

Here is a screenshot of Boingo Wireless airlines and their partners. I haven't tested any of them out (yet).

Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure if other Boingo plans may have included in-air access but every time I’ve logged in with Boingo roaming, it wanted to charge me a per minute fee which well exceeded the cost of just paying for a flight or day pass.

The cheapest path to an in-flight Wi-Fi subscription these days seems to be to keep your cell service with T-Mobile.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:31 am

Pay per use model

Originally Posted by javabytes
Not sure if other Boingo plans may have included in-air access but every time I’ve logged in with Boingo roaming, it wanted to charge me a per minute fee which well exceeded the cost of just paying for a flight or day pass.

The cheapest path to an in-flight Wi-Fi subscription these days seems to be to keep your cell service with T-Mobile.
World Mastercard typically has had agreements with Boingo to offer complimentary inflight WiFi. Nowadays everyone is giving less and charging more to increase their retail margins. I think flight or day passes from airlines purchased through the airlines is now the lesser expensive option.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Any tips on how to access wifi with T-Mobile? I'm on a Magenta Max plan and have tried following the steps that T-Mobile publishes but haven't been successful connecting on any of my AA flights, both domestic and international.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Why is AA Wifi so uncompetitively priced?

On BOS-DFW right now and the prices for Viasat are 20 USD for 1 hour and 29 USD for the flight. I've seen 19 USD recently, but this seems even more absurd.

By comparison, my last UA flight was 8 bucks, WN was 8 bucks, B6 was free. Does AA really manage to get people to pay this in volume?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Well although I can’t address your question directly I can say the recent 20 or 30 minute comp WiFi is just enough for what I need to do. Also both outbound and inbound on last weekend’s CUN flight I was able to redeem 20 minutes free twice.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I have wondered the same. AA is way overpriced.

If only Tmobile would strike a deal with ViaSat..
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I have to wonder if everyone got on wifi and began to stream what would happen with the bandwidth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.