Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sjm0028
Sadly the trick of using the Tmobile free connection to my android phone
then using the phone as my wifi hot spot for free did not work. Tmobile
recognized it and would not connect with an error message.
I don't think that will ever work as the wifi on the phone can either be in receive mode or hotspot mode (either connected to a network or creating one). The only way that works would be to connect via wifi and then setup a BLUETOOTH hotspot or USB connection between a laptop and the phone. Alternatively, the downthread advice to have your laptop browser software spoof and mobile device may be an option.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
I don't think that will ever work as the wifi on the phone can either be in receive mode or hotspot mode (either connected to a network or creating one). The only way that works would be to connect via wifi and then setup a BLUETOOTH hotspot or USB connection between a laptop and the phone. Alternatively, the downthread advice to have your laptop browser software spoof and mobile device may be an option.
That's incorrect. Android allows you to share your wifi connection by acting as a hotspot simultaneously. I do it all the time.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:36 pm

Turn off Private MAC Address / MAC Address Randomization.

https://www.astate.edu/a/university-...orms/apple.dot

And if you need to go back to the login page, enter Http://captive.apple.com
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:20 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Update on my prior SSL errors. All is working as usual on today’s flight so it looks like I may have just had a run of three “bad” aircraft in a row.
Microwave likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:52 am

On board WiFi

Travelling to London in J next week. $25 seems a bit steep for 2 hours of wifi, but are there any promo codes or anything else I could use. Don’t really need for the whole flight. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
$25 for 2 hours; $35 for the whole flight. I slept JFK-LHR so no value in it for me. Even if you are awake, the first 90 minutes are interrupted by the meal service.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Is the international fleet still all panasonic wifi? Those don't even have the free 20mins, right?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Is the international fleet still all panasonic wifi? Those don't even have the free 20mins, right?
Right, no 20 min offer, and the T-Mobile customers don't get access either. Last night on JFK-EZE the choices were two hours for $29 or the full flight for $39. I passed.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:42 pm
O62

What's the best way to apply for a refund? I got triple charged for the same flight for a flight pass (the first two times the transaction showed error and no receipt/confirmation, third time worked). On prefunds it asks for a ticket # which you don't get for Wifi.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by O62
What's the best way to apply for a refund? I got triple charged for the same flight for a flight pass (the first two times the transaction showed error and no receipt/confirmation, third time worked). On prefunds it asks for a ticket # which you don't get for Wifi.
Refund link: https://support.aainflight.com/app/chat/chat_launch
Select "Wireless Entertainment".

It takes 5 minutes or less with the AA chat rep.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
The new 787 deliveries have Viasat. Apparently the subscription doesn't work on them now (i thought it used to)
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:29 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
"Temporary Connection Issue"

Been having issues lately on my work phone, seemingly on (formerly) Gogo planes. Connect to wifi, click go online, and get "Temporary Connection Issue" error. And can't choose a plan to connect. On a past flight, turning off private browsing seemed to fix it, but today I never was able to connect.

I connected on other devices without issue, so its not that there is something wrong with the network.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions? Customer Support was friendly, and gave me several free flight passes. Appreciated, but if I can't get to the login screen, I can't connect at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.