Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 9:55 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Any updates here?

I have a couple 4+ hour flights with the family coming up, which should be Viasat both ways.

Worth it to buy a monthly pass? Can you login on multiple devices like I could pre-pandemic?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Any updates here?

I have a couple 4+ hour flights with the family coming up, which should be Viasat both ways.

Worth it to buy a monthly pass? Can you login on multiple devices like I could pre-pandemic?
I flew to AUA a few times during covid and used the wifi without trouble, don't recall what planes I was on though.

Be careful with multiple devices... before the consolidation onto AA's account-linked subscription service, I was able to share the wifi between 2 devices no problem just by logging onto both. When the changeover happened, I signed up for the 2-device plan and I only ever used it for 2 devices at a time but started having trouble about 3 months in. I contacted help a few times and got to the bottom of it: because I had logged in from a total of 4 different devices (my phone, iPad, laptop, and wife's phone) across various flights, even though only 2 were ever logged on at one time, my account had been flagged and limited to one device. They credited me $20 for the trouble and gave me a few voucher codes in case it happened again, but ultimately it cost me about $100 extra in charges that I incurred when I had to pay to log in from a second device. So, tread carefully! Not sure I would buy a monthly pass for 2 flights... if you buy singles and the wifi doesn't work, you can send them a note and they'll refund you.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
If you have a modern phone device, you can Wifi Hotspot your current Wifi connection to other users. E.g. connect to AA Wifi, then enable hotspot, on dual radio Wifi devices it will use one of the Wifi radios to deal with the AA wifi and the 2nd to make a hotspot shared to others. Not trying to game anything here, just want to access Wifi on my phone and RARELY on my iPad - it shouldn't be this difficult - on other carriers I can logout and login with another device, AA makes this hard at best.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I flew to AUA a few times during covid and used the wifi without trouble, don't recall what planes I was on though.

Be careful with multiple devices... before the consolidation onto AA's account-linked subscription service, I was able to share the wifi between 2 devices no problem just by logging onto both. When the changeover happened, I signed up for the 2-device plan and I only ever used it for 2 devices at a time but started having trouble about 3 months in. I contacted help a few times and got to the bottom of it: because I had logged in from a total of 4 different devices (my phone, iPad, laptop, and wife's phone) across various flights, even though only 2 were ever logged on at one time, my account had been flagged and limited to one device. They credited me $20 for the trouble and gave me a few voucher codes in case it happened again, but ultimately it cost me about $100 extra in charges that I incurred when I had to pay to log in from a second device. So, tread carefully! Not sure I would buy a monthly pass for 2 flights... if you buy singles and the wifi doesn't work, you can send them a note and they'll refund you.
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
If you have a modern phone device, you can Wifi Hotspot your current Wifi connection to other users. E.g. connect to AA Wifi, then enable hotspot, on dual radio Wifi devices it will use one of the Wifi radios to deal with the AA wifi and the 2nd to make a hotspot shared to others. Not trying to game anything here, just want to access Wifi on my phone and RARELY on my iPad - it shouldn't be this difficult - on other carriers I can logout and login with another device, AA makes this hard at best.
Do yourselves a favor and buy one of these and never worry about this problem again. It's a personal WiFi hotspot and works great. This one is a GL-AR300M and it's under $30. Plug it in, connect to its WiFi and then connect it to your WiFi system of choice such as AA, BA, hotel internet etc using a browser on your phone or other device. Then all your devices connect to the GL-AR300M for hassle free internet connectivity. You're only connecting a single device to the airline's WiFi.

NickP 1K and ExpatExp like this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by golfmad
Do yourselves a favor and buy one of these and never worry about this problem again. It's a personal WiFi hotspot and works great. This one is a GL-AR300M and it's under $30. Plug it in, connect to its WiFi and then connect it to your WiFi system of choice such as AA, BA, hotel internet etc using a browser on your phone or other device. Then all your devices connect to the GL-AR300M for hassle free internet connectivity. You're only connecting a single device to the airline's WiFi.
I actually have a similar device that does the same thing - but didn't want to be carrying extra hardware on each trip I just found my phone was good enough for re-sharing a Wifi
golfmad likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Using Boingo wifi account on inflight WiFi

I see when purchasing inflight Wifi that there is an option to use an existing Boingo account to login.

I've looked at Boingo plans, and they are relatively inexpensive ($15/month).

If I purchase that plan, will I be able to use AA inflight wifi using that account?

Are there any caveats or drawbacks to this?

Thank u!
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:23 am

I’m pretty sure that inflight wifi partnership ended long ago for personal plans.
Hmm88879797 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Even years ago, when Amex Plat cardmembers had complimentary Boingo personal plans, it never worked for inflight wifi.
_kurt likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rrz518
I've looked at Boingo plans, and they are relatively inexpensive ($15/month).

If I purchase that plan, will I be able to use AA inflight wifi using that account?
Originally Posted by dw
Even years ago, when Amex Plat cardmembers had complimentary Boingo personal plans, it never worked for inflight wifi.
What a blast from the past! Complimentary Boingo plans were also available to Amex OPEN small business cardholders and it was helpful for a year or two until data roaming and free hotel wifi became more common. Inflight wifi has always been excluded as dw said. Read the fine print before subscribing.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:23 am

So which Boingo plan is the current AA inflight Wi-Fi page referring to?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
So which Boingo plan is the current AA inflight Wi-Fi page referring to?
Think of it as “pay with Boingo”. You log in with your Boingo credentials and you get billed by them instead of by gogo. AFAIK they don’t have any subscription plan that includes unlimited inflight wifi. Their plans page seems to be down at the moment so I can’t say for sure. https://www.boingo.com/for-travel/boingo-wi-fi-plans/
https://techcrunch.com/2011/06/27/bo...ternet-access/
Old Dec 17, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Slightly off topic, but the subscription works for Panasonic right?

I was on AA38 across the pond and couldn't find a way to use my subscription.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:52 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Did Tmobile and Gogo end their partnership?
I tried to log in on a gogo equipped flight, and there's no T-mobile link anywhere
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:11 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
So, I have an AA Inflight monthly subscription, and need to cancel it. However, nowhere do I see any instructions on how to cancel (specifically, to whom do I send the request?) Does anyone here have that information?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:22 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jason8612
Did Tmobile and Gogo end their partnership?
I tried to log in on a gogo equipped flight, and there's no T-mobile link anywhere
I used T-Mobile free wifi yesterday. Are you sure it was a gogo flight? Other than LUS A319/320, and RJs, most of the fleet is Viasat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.