Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Hello. I'm on this flight later this month. Do all 777-200's now have WiFi? Does it work on the overwater portion? I checked aa.com flight status, and the next few days have WiFi, but my flight is too far out. Trying to plan work. aa.com doesn't seem to have a good landing page that says which aircraft have WiFi. Thanks!
Youll have Panasonic Ku band satellite based WiFi. Please refer to the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Thank you.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is there a long term plan to enhance and standardize the experience? Seems like going with so many different wifi providers have provided less than an ideal experience. Maybe within this decade, maybe we can all be using Starlink in the skies? Maybe I’m dreaming?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is there a long term plan to enhance and standardize the experience? Seems like going with so many different wifi providers have provided less than an ideal experience. Maybe within this decade, maybe we can all be using Starlink in the skies? Maybe I’m dreaming?
WiFi in the narrow body fleet is provided by both GoGo and Viasat. Both are satellite based and provide reliable service. The wide body fleet utilizes Panasonic WiFi, which is problematic. The newer 788's, though, are being provisioned with Viasat WiFi.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
WiFi in the narrow body fleet is provided by both GoGo and Viasat. Both are satellite based and provide reliable service. The wide body fleet utilizes Panasonic WiFi, which is problematic. The newer 788's, though, are being provisioned with Viasat WiFi.
From what I read, it doesn't seem like even the best wifi providers at the moment provide enough bandwidth for a sufficiently good experience. Starlink seems like a potential gamechanger, but it's only for residence use at the moment.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I read, it doesn't seem like even the best wifi providers at the moment provide enough bandwidth for a sufficiently good experience. Starlink seems like a potential gamechanger, but it's only for residence use at the moment.
I have never experienced a bandwidth related problem on domestic US flights on planes equipped with either the Viasat or GoGo satellite based systems. AA no longer flies mainline planes using the land based GoGo WiFi.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I have never experienced a bandwidth related problem on domestic US flights on planes equipped with either the Viasat or GoGo satellite based systems. AA no longer flies mainline planes using the land based GoGo WiFi.
I have never tried it. Is the Viasat/Gogo fast enough for streaming Netflix?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:57 pm

I have never tried it. Is the Viasat/Gogo fast enough for streaming Netflix?
AA now specifically permits using WiFi to stream video services, which was not previously allowed.

I don't use streaming services while flying, however, friends experienced download speeds as high as 60 Mbps while flying AA. On some blogs, I have read reports of download speeds faster than 130 Mbps.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
AA 1437, LAX-MIA, 777, 12/15. (Panasonic) wifi not working. Crew attempted multiple reboots with no success. Now I'm working on receiving a refund. Nothing so far.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA
CRJ 700 Wifi

Are all CRJ 700s wifi equipped? I see on the website it says they are but I have heard from several colleagues (so anecdotally) they did not have wifi on these flights in the past few months.

Flight is operated by Skywest and its the 3 row (9F seats) if that makes a difference

Last edited by nw6338; Apr 8, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nw6338
Are all CRJ 700s wifi equipped? I see on the website it says they are but I have heard from several colleagues (so anecdotally) they did not have wifi on these flights in the past few months.

Flight is operated by Skywest and its the 3 row (9F seats) if that makes a difference
I'm on a 9F CR7 now (PSA though) and it has slow but usable wifi. I haven't had a non-wifi AA flight, other than E40/45, in ages.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yeah, the CR7s have WiFi. Whether it actually works or loads anything at a reasonable speed, however, is a different story.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:25 pm

They all have WiFi, most are GoGo I believe.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
From what FAs are telling me on the E175s and CRs wifi won't work on IOS. And when I tried to log in with an Iphone nada.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
From what FAs are telling me on the E175s and CRs wifi won't work on IOS. And when I tried to log in with an Iphone nada.
Go into the WiFi setting for that connection and turn off Private IP Address.

Doesn't matter on the Mainline planes, but GoGo will absolutely not connect with the Private IP Address set to ON>

YMMV
CLT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.