Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Wifi on A321T

Hi

Does the AA A321 transcon have wi-fi? If yes, how much will it cost in J class?

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
The A321T has WiFi (of the ViaSat variety, I believe).

You should expect to pay between $16 and $19 for a flight pass - there is no special pricing for J or F class. AA.com and the entertainment are available for free.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Another Dysmal Panasonic flight

AA109 - B77W LHR-LAX

Wasn't so much the crappy connectivity but their even more crappier portal to login. aainflight.com worked along with streaming TV and aa.com nearly the entire flight. Lees than an hour in the system logs me out and could never log back in. Kept getting errors like image attached. Wasted lots of time on this then 3 hours to LAX the portal works a bit but has zero clue I already paid for the flight so get double billed. Funny thing is this is now the 6th flight this has happened and it's rarely the connectivity but their insistence to time out the connection and then issues reconnecting. Never had issues with the original Deutsche Telekom / T-Mobile portal which was used when Panasonic first launched. Again understand the congestion and connectivity - it's more basic, Panasonic can't even run the portal reliably to stay connected.

Before anyone asks did all the basics, reboot, dump browser cache, tried another device. Tried incognito/private to bad cookies were getting set. My seat mate next to me was working when I wasn't then when he timed out he couldn't reconnect either

​​​​

Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Hope you have requested a refund!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: UA, AA
No Wifi on 757?

I was looking to book a ticket on PHX-PHL on 1/16 on 757. There is no wifi icon next to the flight---is it possible that there is not wifi installed on this plane?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seadoc
I was looking to book a ticket on PHX-PHL on 1/16 on 757. There is no wifi icon next to the flight---is it possible that there is not wifi installed on this plane?
I believe five that were typically used for transatlantic service do not have Wifi. Last I heard, AA is adding Wifi to these now that the 752s are staying around a bit longer. See https://sites.google.com/site/newame...boeing-757-200.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I believe the LUS 757s do not have wifi. I'm thinking the LAA 757s do as the remainder ones have been re-configured for TransAtlantic and (at times) certain South America routes.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:26 am
Suspended

it's being added:

Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:12 pm

Came here in search of this same question for my return flight and can confirm the 32Q aircraft LAX LIH did NOT have Wi-Fi available once we were over the Pacific. Funny enough, the portal actually said "Free Wi-Fi for this flight" and then an error message after you clicked continue.

Movie streaming worked well though. Most on board were placing their iPhones onto the tablet holder above the tray table.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jgoodm
Hi All,

I am looking at booking flights LAX-KOA which are showing as operated by A321. Flights AA59 and AA58. Anyone know if these are serviced by satellite wifi yet? Can book roughly the same flights times with UA and since price is roughly the same, would prefer whichever has satellite wifi if either does.

Thanks,

J.
Aircraft can be equipped with WiFi, but it can be the wrong kind (GoGo) or it can be inoperative. Here’s what the 757 and 32Q aircraft have installed.
Attached Images   
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt DM, SPG Platinum, CX DM, AA EXP
AA Wifi for domestic flights to Hawaii

Does anyone know the state of wifi for flights to/from Hawaii? Does it still drop 30 minutes into the flight?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bitsofwonder
Does anyone know the state of wifi for flights to/from Hawaii? Does it still drop 30 minutes into the flight?
If you're flying one of the A321s, no WiFi. (Which is amazingly dumb, since AA has a specific subfleet to fly to Hawaii with satellite WiFi that doesn't cover Hawaii.)

If you're flying a 777 or 787, it should work.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:40 pm

Some of the 75Hs on PHX-Hawaii have WiFi as well. (Gogo 2Ku)
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
Some of the 75Hs on PHX-Hawaii have WiFi as well. (Gogo 2Ku)
Good point. I also just noticed that they're flying an A333 from PHX to HNL. This will have the Panasonic WiFi that does cover Hawaii.

So basically, if you avoid an A321 you're probably in luck, but AA flies a lot of A321s to Hawaii.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The (unofficial) AA mainline fleet site has listings of every aircraft, with different pages for aircraft types, that include the WiFi and provider information.

E.g. the A321neo AA is deploying to Hawai’i is equipped with Viasat WiFi. Link
In fact, all 321types are equipped with Viasat WiFi.

Whether it’s actually working on a particular aircraft at any particular time is another issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.