Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lsquare
You've done both transpacific and transatlantic and it was still $19/direction?
I've used it on transatlantic, transpacific and to and from deep South America. It's always $19 and it's always awful, slow with a lot of dead zones. On a flight from EZE to LAX I lost connectivity for almost half the flight time; I was refunded the full purchase price after I called to complain.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TWA884
I've used it on transatlantic, transpacific and to and from deep South America. It's always $19 and it's always awful, slow with a lot of dead zones. On a flight from EZE to LAX I lost connectivity for almost half the flight time; I was refunded the full purchase price after I called to complain.
Tough luck then? I'm a bit surprised that your experience is that different. So you'll never do it again?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 12:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough luck then? I'm a bit surprised that your experience is that different. So you'll never do it again?
If you were to review this thread in its entirety, you'll see that my experiences were far from unusual.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by TWA884
If you were to review this thread in its entirety, you'll see that my experiences were far from unusual.
Oh...my bad then. What's the explanation for the poor performance? Lack of satellite coverage? Limited bandwidth between satellites and the aircraft?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:18 am

Oh...my bad then. What's the explanation for the poor performance? Lack of satellite coverage? Limited bandwidth between satellites and the aircraft?
Oops, sorry, the Panasonic WiFi issues are discussed in this thread: International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Viasat WiFi no longer allows switching of devices?

I am currently on AA 1970 PHL-PHX A321S, and bought a WiFi connection by Viasat for $18 on my iPad, it works OK.

I then tried to switch the WiFi connection to my iPhone, but could not. So I started a chat session with Viasat support and the support rep confirmed that Viasat no longer allow for device switching!!! ...

The rep said that AA is onboard with his policy! How outrageous is this?

How long ago did this policy change went into effect? I flew AA over the 4th of July holiday and it was not like this.

AA can not afford to alienate Customers in these times, especially Executive Platinum like me who is also a UA 1K!
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by sapguy
I am currently on AA 1970 PHL-PHX A321S, and bought a WiFi connection by Viasat for $18 on my iPad, it works OK.

I then tried to switch the WiFi connection to my iPhone, but could not. So I started a chat session with Viasat support and the support rep confirmed that Viasat no longer allow for device switching!!! ...

The rep said that AA is onboard with his policy! How outrageous is this?

How long ago did this policy change went into effect? I flew AA over the 4th of July holiday and it was not like this.

AA can not afford to alienate Customers in these times, especially Executive Platinum like me who is also a UA 1K!
This is not an answer to your question but is a better solution. If you use a cheap travel router (or an Android phone if you have one) you can create a personal hotspot and then connect all your devices to it simultaneously and share the single WiFi connection across all your devices.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Oh, finally! LUS 757-200 have a WiFi now. I thought there is no WiFi. I am very frustrated with this. I tried to used wifi on my iPhone. There is no available.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I have an older generation iPad (older OS too) that I can’t seem to get connected to AA WiFi these days.

I have no issues getting onto the WiFi at the clubs or any place else but AA inflight doesn’t work. I am able to access the limited sites like CNN but can’t get to the entertainment portal to watch content.

I like to think I’m somewhat technologically inclined so I’m really baffled why I can’t get this to work. After connecting to the SSID and then typing in AAinflight.com (or whatever it is) I just get the black background with the wheel that is frozen and doesn’t spin like it’s trying to connect.

Any experts know what’s going on or know of a better way to get this to work?

iPhone works fine but it’s much more enjoyable to watch stuff on the iPad.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I have an older generation iPad (older OS too) that I can’t seem to get connected to AA WiFi these days.

I have no issues getting onto the WiFi at the clubs or any place else but AA inflight doesn’t work. I am able to access the limited sites like CNN but can’t get to the entertainment portal to watch content.

I like to think I’m somewhat technologically inclined so I’m really baffled why I can’t get this to work. After connecting to the SSID and then typing in AAinflight.com (or whatever it is) I just get the black background with the wheel that is frozen and doesn’t spin like it’s trying to connect.

Any experts know what’s going on or know of a better way to get this to work?

iPhone works fine but it’s much more enjoyable to watch stuff on the iPad.
I've had this issue on occasion. Clearing the cache and cookies resolved it for me every time.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Question DFW-OGG WiFi (777-200)

Hello. I'm on this flight later this month. Do all 777-200's now have WiFi? Does it work on the overwater portion? I checked aa.com flight status, and the next few days have WiFi, but my flight is too far out. Trying to plan work. aa.com doesn't seem to have a good landing page that says which aircraft have WiFi. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
dont know .. but the question is to be asking is.. that if there have wifi will it actually work?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by fotographer
dont know .. but the question is to be asking is.. that if there have wifi will it actually work?
I've seldom had wifi just not work if installed.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I've seldom had wifi just not work if installed.
That's been true for me on Viasat and Gogo. The Panasonic stuff is garbage and doesn't work more often than not.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Hello. I'm on this flight later this month. Do all 777-200's now have WiFi? Does it work on the overwater portion? I checked aa.com flight status, and the next few days have WiFi, but my flight is too far out. Trying to plan work. aa.com doesn't seem to have a good landing page that says which aircraft have WiFi. Thanks!
it works over the water but it’s not as good as ViaSat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.