Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display “service provided by Panasonic”
Your credit card statement charges will appear as ”PAC WIFI”
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass – $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass – $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass – $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box”; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
So, I was on AA280 ICN-DFW on Wednesday in J, and had free WiFi. Anyone else ever have this? Just had to input my email address. I do have a GoGo subscription, and I know it works within the US, but I never logged on to the GoGo account.

i did pay the $19 the prior Thursday when I flew LAX-HND on AA27.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sambb
How is the WIFI on transatlantic? Thanks
There are several posts prior to yours that discuss this issue.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Anybody have experience or know if calls through the computer on a platform like Webex will work?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I recently received a full refund of the $19 purchase price after the WiFi worked for approximately only four and a half hours of a thirteen hours long flight from EZE to LAX.

Even when it worked, it was quite slow; the fastest it got was perhaps 600-800 Mbps, but most of the time it was much slower.
Hello TWA884 ,

Thank you for contacting Panasonic Avionics.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with the in flight Wi-Fi system on board your recent American Airlines flight on 201X-XX-XX .

I've taken a look at the session that you purchased and I could verify that you had connection issues. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have refunded your purchases of 19 USD. I included below the refund receipt. Please note that sometimes it can take up to 30 days in order for the refund to appear on your account.
On the way to EZE, it was also very slow but I lost connectivity only for only about an hour around the equator. In retrospect, I should have asked for at least partial credit for that flight segment.
econometrics likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Any word on Panasonic being upgraded or replaced? I tried it on 2 transatlantic flights late last year and both were horrible - got a refund. I'll be doing DFW/PVG soon and would like to get some work done but unless something has changed, I doubt the connection will handle even basic email.

Also, I have read that it is unavailable over Chinese airspace. Of the almost 15 hour flight, how many hours are you generally over China and restricted from using Wifi?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Just adding a data point, Wifi transatlantic from DFW-LHR was perfect, no outages as far as I could tell (used mainly to view anet, flyertalk, and imessenger (not netflix or streaming). Essentially worked from hitting 10k feet over Texas until our descent over the UK.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Am in the 787 Dreamliner and after 53 minutes of the 2 hour pass I had to buy, because my $60/monthly gogo pass doesn’t work, I can’t even get 3 emails to fully download. Will be requesting a refund as soon as I get wifi that actually works.

Keep going for great, Dougie ��

Edit to add: Took 2 days & multiple e-mails to them, but full refund rec'd. Said they were 'waiting for data from the plane to download'-given how long it took my 3 little e-mails, I'm not surprised!
enpremiere likes this.

Last edited by txrus; Nov 9, 2019 at 7:02 am Reason: Addendum added
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I am not certain I had a single flight where it consistently worked since they switched from Telekom - mainly TATL for me
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by TWA884
Even when it worked, it was quite slow; the fastest it got was perhaps 600-800 Mbps, but most of the time it was much slower.
I would be overjoyed at those speeds! Right-click and download the Internet I would.

Perhaps 600-800 Kbps is what you experienced?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by enpremiere
I would be overjoyed at those speeds! Right-click and download the Internet I would.

Perhaps 600-800 Kbps is what you experienced?
Yes, Kbps.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Anyone had recent luck with AA WiFi Subscription and Panasonic over the Pacific? Will be going to/from HNL next month on 772's and am considering buying Subscription for a couple months for some ramped up AA travel.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA
Anyone notice it's $35 now for the flight? Recently flew LHR-JFK and that's what was being charged for such a short flight, spotty at that. Wondering if others had different pricing or any ways to somehow reduce this for the Panasonic AA WiFi?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I flew MAD-JFK on Sunday Jan.23 and it was $35, but the service was very good....
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes I also had $35 two days ago for a Europe - California flight. Stopped working for the last 3-4 hours of the flight. Emailed and they refunded in full.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Yes I also had $35 two days ago for a Europe - California flight. Stopped working for the last 3-4 hours of the flight. Emailed and they refunded in full.
I flew LHR-LAX on Monday and paid $35 for wifi that probably worked for about 45 minutes total of a ~10-hour flight. Complete waste of time and money. Which address did you email about a refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.