Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
Niki, which is owned by AB but AA can see their flights, flies between TXL and VIE.
Really? I thought all flights to TXL were AB flights. I could be wrong.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Really? I thought all flights to TXL were AB flights. I could be wrong.
I believe you are right, but for practical purposes, AA still sees TXL-VIE flights as "operated by Niki".
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Oddly, AA can see Niki flights. So there is availability on the twice weekly (or whatever it is) VIE-KEF flight past 4/30, although not sure how to get from TXL to VIE.

BA is another option to KEF.

Thanks, I can actually probably use Niki if TXL doesn't come through (we will actually be in Krakow or Wroclaw so need to take a train to either Germany or Vienna or Warsaw to fly to KEF). I didn't even think of checking AA for that flight.

LHR is a no go for us b/c of YQ, no availability, and poor connections.

VIE might actually work well! Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Yes, they can't see anything.
Aw, so there's currently no way to book AB transatlantic flights using AAdvantage miles?

If that's the case, I'm certainly inclined to complain to "somebody" about this. Years ago, when a "computer glitch" prevented AA from seeing certain LAN award seats, I called the oneworld folks for help. This was after various AA personnel refused to help. Oneworld called AA and then somebody at AA called me to book the seats.

But I suspect it's a different (and less helpful) world today.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Aw, so there's currently no way to book AB transatlantic flights using AAdvantage miles?

If that's the case, I'm certainly inclined to complain to "somebody" about this. Years ago, after the AA folks told me "sorry, we don't look into this type of thing," I was successful in getting the oneworld folks involved. They called AA and somebody fixed the "computer glitch" (you couldn't book certain LAN flights with AA).

But I suspect it's a different (and less helpful) world today.
I haven't tried getting them to long sell but I don't think they do that anymore anyway?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abcx
I haven't tried getting them to long sell but I don't think they do that anymore anyway?
No chance.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I am in Berlin on business and just saw a German news station showing a segment on "Air Berlin in Crisis". Unfortunately, the title of the segment is the only thing I could translate. Googled and found one articles online from today saying that Air Berin is considering de-listing from stock market and reorganizing to try to stop their continued losses. Mentioned key role Etihad will play as majority stockholder and the possibility of aligning with Alitalia.

Might be a sign that award availability will not be coming back anytime soon,
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks for the heads up. I have an award booking on April that I did last year, MUC-DUS-JFK in BUS. Will monitor closely.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:28 am

Interesting that 2 of AA's partners have simply had their award space effectively disappear for months now, with AAgents "unable to see" it, not a peep out of the bloggers; why do I suspect that on March 22 all will magically be well?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I am in Berlin on business and just saw a German news station showing a segment on "Air Berlin in Crisis". Unfortunately, the title of the segment is the only thing I could translate. Googled and found one articles online from today saying that Air Berin is considering de-listing from stock market and reorganizing to try to stop their continued losses. Mentioned key role Etihad will play as majority stockholder and the possibility of aligning with Alitalia.

Might be a sign that award availability will not be coming back anytime soon,
Yikes! When you google "Air Berlin" and translate the stories, there's definitely some major financial turmoil going on. The shares are now worth only 80 cents (they were $20 a couple years ago), and there are reports of them losing lots of money. Their only salvation appears to be minority-owner Etihad, but that's problematic because Etihad itself is a huge loss making operation and their stake in the German carrier is limited by law.

Maybe I don't want to book a summer reservation on AB. That said, it seems like airline crisis move slowly in Europe. And how bad off could they be with $30 oil?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Interesting that 2 of AA's partners have simply had their award space effectively disappear for months now, with AAgents "unable to see" it, not a peep out of the bloggers; why do I suspect that on March 22 all will magically be well?
I used to see Finnair on the AA website, but even now I can't see anything there anymore.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Superorb
I used to see Finnair on the AA website, but even now I can't see anything there anymore.
It's there - just scarce. I booked summer MIA-HEL and ORD-HEL in business class awards on aa.com a few days ago.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:46 pm

Anybody having any issues with existing AB reservations?? I have one in June that was made months ago. Now when I go to "my trips" the listing is still there, but when I open it up, the site says "We couldn't display trip details" I'll have to call reservations.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by labber
Anybody having any issues with existing AB reservations?? I have one in June that was made months ago. Now when I go to "my trips" the listing is still there, but when I open it up, the site says "We couldn't display trip details" I'll have to call reservations.
What did AA said when you called? I can presume that you have not done it. I have a mixed award reservation, AA, BA, & AB, for April, and it is there. I even checked the reservation on the AB side as well, as I have the AB locator/pnr and it shows up, even the seats that I picked long ago.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Yeah, Air Berlin is deep in red https://global.handelsblatt.com/edit...for-air-berlin http://www.dw.com/en/airberlin-deep-...ed/av-18345406

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.