FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1724549-ab-airberlin-air-berlin-award-issues-28-oct-2017-winds-down-ops.html)

lagvod Nov 15, 2015 6:42 am

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Trying to book TXL-DUS on 1/24 on AB. There are 4 available award flights open for almost every day till Jan 3 and from then on, nothing is available on any AB flight, anywhere. The Qantas site shows availability on AB, so I thought for sure that if I call AA it will be available. I spoke to 5 AA agents and all that they can say is "Sorry sir, there are no available flights on AB :confused:

lagvod Nov 15, 2015 6:42 am

No AB / Air Berlin award availability on AA after 3 Jan 2016?

Trying to book TXL-DUS on 1/24 on AB. There are 4 available award flights open for almost every day till Jan 3 and from then on, nothing is available on any AB flight, anywhere. The Qantas site shows availability on AB, so I thought for sure that if I call AA it will be available. I spoke to 5 AA agents and all that they can say is "Sorry sir, there are no available flights on AB :confused:

JJeffrey Nov 15, 2015 6:54 am

Most likely just a glitch, AA sometimes does systems & schedule updates on Saturday nights / Sunday mornings. I wouldn't worry.

FYI, you can buy the flight for $86, or take the train for $21.

lagvod Nov 15, 2015 7:06 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 25715720)
Most likely just a glitch, AA sometimes does systems & schedule updates on Saturday nights / Sunday mornings. I wouldn't worry.

FYI, you can buy the flight for $86, or take the train for $21.

Thanks for you reply. I am trying since Wednesday.
I was trying book other flights as well. like DUS-CUN. I gave the example TXL-DUS because that is usually always available.

flyingeph12 Nov 15, 2015 7:17 am

I see AB space--for example, JFK-DUS on 1/13. That being said, it seems a lot of people have been having issues booking awards online.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...stem-down.html

sosfo Nov 15, 2015 11:26 am

Anyone have any luck further out? Trying to get TXL or DUS to a US gateway in July 16 and AA.com is pushing everything to BA via LHR. Not a single AB result. The QF website is showing availability, though...

lagvod Nov 15, 2015 11:50 am

Originally Posted by sosfo (Post 25716700)
Anyone have any luck further out? Trying to get TXL or DUS to a US gateway in July 16 and AA.com is pushing everything to BA via LHR. Not a single AB result. The QF website is showing availability, though...

No luck here. It's very strange that the QF and BA sites are showing availability and you can't even book it by phone. What's even stranger that until Jan 3rd there is availability on almost every flight and after that it's dead.

yminev Nov 15, 2015 3:09 pm

I noticed this a week ago and initially attributed it to the website issues. However, Even short hops that were always avaable (zrh txl) are zeroed out now for months in a row. There is nothing avil from germany to greece for summer 2016 on airberlin (only on niki)

flyingeph12 Nov 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by sosfo (Post 25716700)

Originally Posted by lagvod (Post 25716804)
No luck here. It's very strange that the QF and BA sites are showing availability and you can't even book it by phone. What's even stranger that until Jan 3rd there is availability on almost every flight and after that it's dead.

It does look like AB is not showing up when searching FROM Europe. I see AB availability TO Europe. However, I am not seeing AB on BA.com either, even when searching something as simple as DUS-TXL. On a different note, I am seeing options on AA metal, e.g. AA 241 ORD-DUS 1 seat in J on 7/16/16.

stevento Dec 3, 2015 1:23 pm

No AB / airberlin availability for 2016 issues - no space or engine trouble?

I was looking to see if there was any availability on AirBerlin NYC-DUS for early July, and there was none on AA or BA.
Looking at many alternate dates - no availability at all, for any dates, in any class.

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a single ticket available for the whole summer.
Could this be a search engine fluke?

AAnerd Dec 3, 2015 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by stevento (Post 25808502)
I was looking to see if there was any availability on AirBerlin NYC-DUS for early July, and there was none on AA or BA.
Looking at many alternate dates - no availability at all, for any dates, in any class.

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a single ticket available for the whole summer.
Could this be a search engine fluke?

I've been searching from early November, for flights US-EU between June-September, nothing came up at all for Airberlin (in contrast, i found a lot of availability with Airberlin in 2015 when i searched and booked them in 2014)... my gut feeling is, AA is shutting down almost all award availability till devaluation takes place (i really hope I'm wrong in this aspect)

arlflyer Dec 3, 2015 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by AAnerd (Post 25808663)
my gut feeling is, AA is shutting down almost all award availability till devaluation takes place (i really hope I'm wrong in this aspect)

OP said they searched on BA.com; I don't think AA has the power to "shut down" what BA.com sees...:p

AAnerd Dec 3, 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 25808718)
OP said they searched on BA.com; I don't think AA has the power to "shut down" what BA.com sees...:p

well as i said, it was just a gut feeling.. I do search on BA as well, but since both AA/BA are devaluing their program, it is possible that both AA/BA are "shutting down" or limiting award availability till their devaluation is complete.. .. But again hope i'm wrong and perhaps it is just Airberlin not giving out any awards out so far ahead..

guv1976 Dec 3, 2015 2:16 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by AAnerd

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 25808718)

well as i said, it was just a gut feeling.. I do search on BA as well, but since both AA/BA are devaluing their program, it is possible that both AA/BA are "shutting down" or limiting award availability till their devaluation is complete.. .. But again hope i'm wrong and perhaps it is just Airberlin not giving out any awards out so far ahead..

BA is devaluing its program too? :confused:

stevento Dec 3, 2015 2:20 pm

Qantas is showing the same, FWIW.

I went back to see what the latest Airberlin availability is

Jan 1 out - Jan 22 in...and nothing after that.