Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by davidtai
Oh I found that AA stops releasing the AB award flights from April 30 at this moement. Before that day, the availability is quite good. Any reasons?

My guess is AA releases these flights progressively since the OP said the AB flights were not available after March 5 but now they show up.
The award availability for April has existed for at least a month. Over the past month, I have yet to see award availability for May.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
BAEC award availability is based on the country where your account is registered; it doesn't matter which ba.com site you use.
Why would there be different award availability for account holders from different countries, particularly on partners?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I have an issue - I am booked in J on AUH-TXL on June 8 but would like to change this to June 6. BA site shows as available but 2 calls to AA have said nothing is available for that date.

It's not really that big an issue for me but I just found out Ramadan starts on June 6 so I thought I would depart a bit earlier as this is just a short stopover en-route SYD-AUH-TXL.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: QF Gold
Called yesterday and the Australia call centre cant see anything for AB on any date ! (i'm looking at june onwards)

Same deal today.

My hold ends tomorrow and i need to add in the last connecting flight! ideas?

BA.com shows 4+ seats on every flight.

They had no problem seeing april availability a few days ago

Last edited by davem4; Mar 9, 2016 at 3:53 am
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Why would there be different award availability for account holders from different countries, particularly on partners?
Ordinarily I don't know why there should be, but remember that award availability is simply inventory in specific 'buckets' and, like with normal cash fare buckets, the system will search for them from a specific point of sale - which in the case of BAEC is the country where your account is based.

Therefore if for whatever reason the inventory is different in different POS (whether it's just a glitch or something deliberate) then that will be reflected in your award search.

[ETA: A bit OT but for info, there is a specific case in BAEC where the extra 'Gold' economy award availability on BA flights is very often different in different POS - that's because Gold seats come from V bucket which is an ordinary cash bucket and so (like O, N, Q fares etc) can differ a lot between POS. By contrast standard 'X' and 'U' class awards - which are award-only buckets - are generally consistent in all POS.]

Last edited by Ldnn1; Mar 12, 2016 at 2:25 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:00 am

Air Berlin is saying that it's not on their end. "Since our System is able to see and book flight with airberlin partner airlines like AA and BA they on the other hand should be able to do the same. We do not see any reason why they are not seeing the flights. All matters concerning purchases through Partner airlines mileage programs have to be send directly to the airline in question."

AB is showing plenty of availability for their own flights on their website. Past April (July and September, for example), BA is only displaying certain US-Europe routes. None of those are visible on AA.com, but the phone agents were able to see them in their system. Intra-Europe flights, on the other hand, seem completely invisible to both BA and AA.

Last edited by centauru; Mar 15, 2016 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
BAEC award availability is based on the country where your account is registered; it doesn't matter which ba.com site you use.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Originally Posted by centauru
Air Berlin is saying that it's not on their end. "Since our System is able to see and book flight with airberlin partner airlines like AA and BA they on the other hand should be able to do the same. We do not see any reason why they are not seeing the flights. All matters concerning purchases through Partner airlines mileage programs have to be send directly to the airline in question."

AB is showing plenty of availability for their own flights on their website. Past April (July and September, for example), BA is only displaying certain US-Europe routes. None of those are visible on AA.com, but the phone agents were able to see them in their system. Intra-Europe flights, on the other hand, seem completely invisible to both BA and AA.
This is all completely insane. Is there still a oneworld rep who can get this all fixed? It's hard for me to believe that there's a vested interest in offering different partner award inventory simply based on your country of residence.

Since I'm looking for an AB flight from the USA East Coast to Germany, it would be cheapest if I could book it on Avios. Has anyone tried changing their country of residence on BA to find AB award availability?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone tried changing their country of residence on BA to find AB award availability?
Yes, I did.
When my BAEC account was US based, there was ZERO AB award availability.
When I switched my account to Holland, there was tons of AB award availability.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:39 pm

I made a follow-up call to Air Berlin. I gave the agent 2 specific intra-Europe flights that were showing award availability on their website. She was adamant, however, that there was no X fare bucket space on either. Might it be the case that going forward some of their awards are accidentally (programming error) or intentionally (limiting partner redemption) booking into the same fare class as a paid ticket, which would be why other airlines aren't seeing anything?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:00 pm

i have also tried switching my BAEC account from US, to germany to holland and i still show no availability.

looking for AB on July 10th, from DUS-SFO...only 1 seat has been booked in entire business section. (looking for 2 bus awards)

: (
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:44 pm

Air Berlin Awards

Using the BA site, I was able to find award availability on OW partner Air Berlin. It is not showing up on the AA site. I know for some partners that show up on the BA site, you have to call AA to use AA miles and they don't charge you a booking fee since it's not available online. However, I've read that Air Berlin awards should be available on AA's site. If I call do you think I should have luck? What is the standard sAAver award rate for Air Berlin in Y? 30k?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"What is the standard sAAver award rate for Air Berlin in Y? 30k?"

That depends very much on what zone you are starting in, what zone you are ending in, and -- in some cases -- what time of year you are flying.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-ha-qf-rj.html
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:29 am

That doesn't exactly answer my question as that thread presumes the award is available on AA's site. However, conventional wisdom is that if BA is showing it as award available, that should be available to all OW partners. And will be flying from Europe to US (TXL-ORD).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:53 am

Looks like AA does not see the same availability as BA. I had a similar situation: HKG-DUS(CX)-STR(AB) was available on the BA site. AA could see the CX flight, but not the AA flight. Tried to call a few times inside two weeks, always the same. Gave up and booked a different routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.