Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: Northwest, United
What happened to AB award availability - gone? hidden? ???

I'm looking for any recent data points about searching for (and booking) AirBerlin flights between the US and Germany. I've tried searching for most of the next year using AA.com and BA.com. I have found zero award seats.

Am I missing any secret search engines or tricks? Or has all AB award availability just disappeared?

I know (from reading this thread and elsewhere) that of course, award seat availability comes and goes. But it seems like it's all gone completely now (although it once was plentiful). Has anyone seen ANY airberlin award availability any time recently?

Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Using JFK-DUS as an example, J award everyday next two weeks. Good amount of economy rest of the year beginning in Sept.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by seawolf
Using JFK-DUS as an example, J award everyday next two weeks. Good amount of economy rest of the year beginning in Sept.
Thanks, now I *am* seeing those - first availability I have seen after hours of searching. I am new to AB (in case that's not obvious) and so far have found it pretty frustrating.

Couple related questions...I'm finding search results painfully tedious (to the point of being all-but unusable) and not getting any results. I'm primarily looking for J awards, in the westbound direction (from DUS to US destinations).

Which system are you using to search? AA?

Does AB load award inventory much ahead, or only close-in?

My preference is to do planning well in advance (as far ahead as the system allows) - waiting until a few weeks before isn't going to work for me.

Many thanks for the assistance.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Member

I use AA.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, AA Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Question Mystery award space on Air Berlin (when booking with AA miles)

Hello fellow FT-ers,

I'm trying to book an one-way MileSAAver Germany->US award in December - in Business Class - for two people. Ah, and cheap as well
So BA is pretty much out ($800 taxes/p.p. - ouch!), but AB seems like an interesting option (~$100 taxes/p.p.).

Using EF, I've located U availability (= biz award) on AB, using EF, for two seats on this TXL-JFK flight:

On airberlin.com, I can see the exact same flight, and it even shows "only 2 seats left" - so I assume that award is available:

However, on aa.com that flight doesn't show up - not even for one person (tons of expensive BA ones though). I tried calling the EXP desk a few times, always got the same answer - "we don't see availability in business". They would be more than happy to sell me an AAnytime award on AA, though...

Now for the strange part:

Out of curiosity, I was looking for AB biz award inventory in October - and find flight AB7480 (DUS-JFK) on 10/4 - so far so good:

But this one now shows up fine on aa.com - and it would let me book it for 57.5k miles + $89.66 taxes.

So why can I not book my DUS-LAX award on 12/11? Shouldn't I be able if there is availability in U? Or is AB restricting its inventory for AA on flights that are further out?

Any insights and ideas how I can get the award booked would be appreciated!
-pilluelo
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
You could try asking for a long-sell...not sure if EXP agents will do that. US agents used to be permitted to do it in these situations but apparently told agents to stop doing it (pre-merger).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
You could try asking for a long-sell...not sure if EXP agents will do that. US agents used to be permitted to do it in these situations but apparently told agents to stop doing it (pre-merger).
What is a long-sell?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Thanks MaineFlyer for the suggestion!
I tried a few EXP AAgents - unfortunately without luck. They all said the same: For award tickets, they cannot (or their system doesn't allow them to) long-sell the seats, but they have to use Direct Access instead. Maybe I'll need to HUCA...

Thanks again!
-pilluelo
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
What is a long-sell?
If my understanding is correct, a way to book a seat in a particular bucket even though it may not show availability.

See this FT thread:
Long Selling a flight ...

-pilluelo
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
For at least 6 months, EF /Airberlin.com availabilty has not matched what AA has on AB flights.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: Various
Isn't AB DUS-LAX & LAX-DUS Seasonal? I don't think it operates after October, then resumes in May.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:07 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with the existing Airberlin award thread to help consolidate experiences for members searching for the topic in the future. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Member

I can confirm what pilluelo reported. I have been noticing for several months that BA.com shows more AB awards than AA.com. AB offers two JFK-DUS flight during the summer and up until October. AA will show only one of the nonstops available on awards while BA shows both available. I usually just book with Avios as it either cost the same or (during AA peak Europe) cost less miles than AA.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 pm

Air Berlin award flights using AA miles

I found Air Berlin award seats on EF but I they don't show up on BA or aa.com. Any advice in booking AB award flights with AA miles? Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rtraveler
I found Air Berlin award seats on EF but I they don't show up on BA or aa.com. Any advice in booking AB award flights with AA miles? Thanks.
Are you trying to book these on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines? This is the Alaska Airlines forum... Alaska Airlines is not a Air Berlin partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.