Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Travelomania
AA agents are refusing to cancel without redeposit-fees the award flights I have booked for 12/23 for my children to the US, while AB does not seem to care one bit about notifying their passengers that all their flights to the USA are eliminated.
The flights are still showing as scheduled and the same itinerary is still for sale on the AB website for tomorrow.
Go figure !
Tomorrow they may well still be flying; all long haul flights will be discontinued 15 October. I'd wait a bit for the announcement to make its way to AA and call again. And again if necessary, as this is an involuntary change imposed on you by AB's cancellations and not a voluntary cancellation from you or your children.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EP
Geez. Give it time to show in the computers!!!

AA agents are refusing to cancel without redeposit-fees the award flights I have booked for 12/23 for my children to the US, while AB does not seem to care one bit about notifying their passengers that all their flights to the USA are eliminated.
The flights are still showing as scheduled and the same itinerary is still for sale on the AB website for tomorrow.
Go figure !
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Air Berlin flights still confirmed with AA

I have an AAdvantage award flight coming up from LAX, operated by Air Berlin. Air Berlin announced they will not be operating any long haul flights anymore. However, flights still show confirmed on AA's side - thus, I cannot get the AAdvantage miles back without paying a cancellation fee. Anyone else having more luck?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
When's your flight? Give it a day or two, or is this time-critical to rebook a different award or something?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
It is still a bit but I would like to have the miles back to shop around for another flight.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
It is still a bit but I would like to have the miles back to shop around for another flight.
Keep in mind that if you cancel, you'll just get the miles back and then back looking at award flights.

If you push the rebooking, you might get rebooked on something that is not otherwise available at the same award level. I don't have any personal experience but that's always a possibility.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're not changing your destination you don't need the miles back. Date/time/flight/routing changes are generally free. You'll still be subject to available award inventory but you don't *have* to wait.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Air Berlin announced they will not be operating any long haul flights anymore. However, flights still show confirmed on AA's side...
An announcement by AB is worthless here. It needs to zero out the flights in the GDS. When AA syncs the record it will recognize the problem and allow you to redeposit or rebook. Systematically this is no different from a routine schedule change. There's a process.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I have an AAdvantage award flight coming up from LAX, operated by Air Berlin. Air Berlin announced they will not be operating any long haul flights anymore. However, flights still show confirmed on AA's side - thus, I cannot get the AAdvantage miles back without paying a cancellation fee. Anyone else having more luck?
It's hard to make helpful comments without more specific information than you have provided, but AA permits changes on award flights at no charge as long the airports of origin and destination remain unchanged. You might wish to check online to see if saver awards are available for your dates or nearby dates that yo may find acceptable. If so, you can make changes at no charge.

Last edited by JPG3392; Sep 26, 2017 at 6:32 pm Reason: Addition of futher comments.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Go figure !
I would HUACA. Despite AA still showing my 12NOV DUS-JFK flight, AAgent was willing and able to reinstate miles/refund ticket without any fee when I spoke with them on 27 SEP.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
It seems longhaul AB flights have been removed from GDS. However a flight in December still shows confirmed on AA's side. Has anybody gotten AA to open up availability to re-route such award tickets?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
It seems longhaul AB flights have been removed from GDS. However a flight in December still shows confirmed on AA's side. Has anybody gotten AA to open up availability to re-route such award tickets?
i had a flight ticketed on ab later this year to munich. i saw on aa reservations today to contact them (presumably due to being removed from gds)

ep agent was helpful but said to me she could not open up award space when i asked about phl to muc. tried to quote me standard pricing. i declined. she also tried to suggest ba and their taxes but i passed on that as well.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by nanaflyer
i had a flight ticketed on ab later this year to munich. i saw on aa reservations today to contact them (presumably due to being removed from gds)

ep agent was helpful but said to me she could not open up award space when i asked about phl to muc. tried to quote me standard pricing. i declined. she also tried to suggest ba and their taxes but i passed on that as well.
That's bad news. I issued a ticket for a niece DUS-MIA on AB followed by MIA-MTY second half of December. There is no more availability XXX-MTY and availability on flights to anywhere else is scarce and nothing to MIA.
I hope they will be a bit more flexible than that!
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AA can only do so much when partner airlines default. They can't open award availability on other airlines, and they're not obligated to open award space on AA. We've been through this with Click!, Malv and Mexicana, as well as with Aer Lingus when they quit oneworld. Now airberlin, and again 1/1/18 as Jet withdraws from partnership with AA.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I have a TXL-CDG flight january 3rd with aadvantage. They refused to do anything except book me on other flights with aaward availability. Has anyone else had a different experience? They said they had more latitutde with flight between now and Oct 31st.
FYI AA was the issuing carrier so dont they have a responsability to make good on the ticket. The full ITN is TXL-CDG (AB) stop CDG-LHR (BA) LHR-MIA (AA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.