Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by labber
Anybody having any issues with existing AB reservations?? I have one in June that was made months ago. Now when I go to "my trips" the listing is still there, but when I open it up, the site says "We couldn't display trip details" I'll have to call reservations.
My AB/HG reservations for next month show up properly.

But I had a problem like that before, when AB cancelled the nonstop TXL-MIA flight and rebooked me through DUS. When I called AA, they had to do something to my reservation to re-synch it with AB.

Anyhow check you reservation on Amadeus (checkmytrip) with your AB record locator.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've actually been able to get some help from BA about this (BA shows the same AB award inventory) and, from their response, I figured out that AB award seats are available, but only through April 30!

I'm trying to get some more information as to whether this is a new (and onerous) marketing decision or a technical glitch.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by labber
Anybody having any issues with existing AB reservations?? I have one in June that was made months ago. Now when I go to "my trips" the listing is still there, but when I open it up, the site says "We couldn't display trip details" I'll have to call reservations.
Happened to my res in June a couple months ago. I called and they were able to fix it no problem. Also when this happen if you pulled the res on AB's site it still showed up prior to calling AA. Just means that there probably was a schedule change.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've actually been able to get some help from BA about this (BA shows the same AB award inventory) and, from their response, I figured out that AB award seats are available, but only through April 30!

I'm trying to get some more information as to whether this is a new (and onerous) marketing decision or a technical glitch.
Very weird. Just searched on AA. It appears there is a blackout (not sure if it is intentional or not). Looking at "high" frequency routes such as FRA-TXL and DUS-TXL vv. Availability is nil between 19MAR and 03APR. Same after 30APR.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
Very weird. Just searched on AA. It appears there is a blackout (not sure if it is intentional or not). Looking at "high" frequency routes such as FRA-TXL and DUS-TXL vv. Availability is nil between 19MAR and 03APR. Same after 30APR.
The BA folks are looking into this. (I don't know anyone at AA, and they haven't been helpful on this stuff in the past). We should know more soon. Big kudos to BA for being willing to help.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:46 pm

Airberlin option not showing in AA award booking

Hello all, this is my first post and want to thank everyone for all their advice in advance.

I am trying to book an award flight to Germany, possibly DUS, and I am not seeing any option in the Airline column for Airberlin. I tried many dates as far out as September, which is when I want to travel, and cannot find any Airberlin option. There are flights going out that day because I checked Airberlin's site. I called AA and the rep said she could not locate any Airberlin option either and said that was strange. She said they could possibly be modifying their miles program, but was not really sure why.

Does anyone else have this issue or could possibly shine some light on why I no longer see the Airberlin option?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by geomystic
Hello all, this is my first post and want to thank everyone for all their advice in advance.

I am trying to book an award flight to Germany, possibly DUS, and I am not seeing any option in the Airline column for Airberlin. I tried many dates as far out as September, which is when I want to travel, and cannot find any Airberlin option. There are flights going out that day because I checked Airberlin's site. I called AA and the rep said she could not locate any Airberlin option either and said that was strange. She said they could possibly be modifying their miles program, but was not really sure why.

Does anyone else have this issue or could possibly shine some light on why I no longer see the Airberlin option?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As you can see, this has been a topic of discussion among members, who we've merged your post into this existing thread - and left a trailing link to let you find this easily.

/Moderator
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:56 am

Is it still the same?

Sorry to dig this post out. I'm looking for the flight
AB8522 DUS-SZG on 15 Aug
Both BA and Qantas websites said it's available on economy class while the AAgents said they see nothing available
I'm wondering if it's just a glitch or the AB won't release as many reward seats to AA as the other partner airlines get?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by davidtai
Sorry to dig this post out. I'm looking for the flight
AB8522 DUS-SZG on 15 Aug
Both BA and Qantas websites said it's available on economy class while the AAgents said they see nothing available (I HUCA for a few times)
I'm wondering if it's just a glitch or the AB won't release as many reward seats to AA as the other partner airlines get?
I don't see that flight on BA's website. It is known that AB space has become severely limited.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I don't see that flight on BA's website. It is known that AB space has become severely limited.
Interesting Are we living on same the planet??
Attached Images   

Last edited by davidtai; Mar 6, 2016 at 2:43 am
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:41 am

I see the same availability on my (UK based) BA account as davidtai. Where is your account based, flyingeph12?

Perhaps AB are only releasing inventory in certain points of sale.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by davidtai
Interesting
Interesting, indeed. Can you actually book those seats that you see on BA? You can check AB space on AA.com as well.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I see the same availability on my (UK based) BA account as davidtai. Where is your account based, flyingeph12?

Perhaps AB are only releasing inventory in certain points of sale.
I am US based. I see the same non-availability when I change to the UK site.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:59 am

Interesting, indeed. Can you actually book those seats that you see on BA? You can check AB space on AA.com as well.
Oh I found that AA stops releasing the AB award flights from April 30 at this moement. Before that day, the availability is quite good. Any reasons?

My guess is AA releases these flights progressively since the OP said the AB flights were not available after March 5 but now they show up.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:05 am

I am US based. I see the same non-availability when I change to the UK site.
BAEC award availability is based on the country where your account is registered; it doesn't matter which ba.com site you use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.