Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:00 pm

Sorry, I meant to say American Airlines. Please move to AA forum.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssing-etc.html
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam1222
For at least 6 months, EF /Airberlin.com availabilty has not matched what AA has on AB flights.
This is so annoying that even EF availability does not match what AA can get.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is so annoying that even EF availability does not match what AA can get.
Shouldn't it be the other way around....that it is annoying AA does not match what is reported by EF? Time and time again I see AB available on Avios but AA website so not available.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
Shouldn't it be the other way around....that it is annoying AA does not match what is reported by EF? Time and time again I see AB available on Avios but AA website so not available.
Yes, that's what I meant
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Datapoint.

BA/EF reporting AB flight available despite aa.com reporting nothing. Called AA, they were able to see and confirm the award space.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Datapoint.

BA/EF reporting AB flight available despite aa.com reporting nothing. Called AA, they were able to see and confirm the award space.
Would the agent charge the telephone booking fee should the caller is not an EXP?

AY availability is in the same situation as AB's.

AA's online display of award availability is basically a total mucked up on QF, AY and AB since at least 6 months or longer ago. Yet AA does not have any intention to fix it. Calling in is a complete luck of draw on whether you get a competent agent who knows what s/he is doing.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Member

Well I booked my reservation initially online and did an exchange as new flights become available so the phone fee wasn't applicable. The new flights were the one which didn't show up aa.com
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I booked my reservation initially online and did an exchange as new flights become available so the phone fee wasn't applicable. The new flights were the one which didn't show up aa.com
That was how I worked around the AY issue. Initially booked the one (and the only one too) showing on AA site. Then called in to change the date which showed on BA site but not on AA site. AAgent could see the AY availability when I gave her the flight info but online it was nil.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to see this thread, as I was looking to book an AB transatlantic ticket. I was planning on redeeming Avios, but sometimes would check for inventory on AA because it's faster. Sure enough, AA didn't show the flight as being available, but it was wide open on BA.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Glad to see this thread, as I was looking to book an AB transatlantic ticket. I was planning on redeeming Avios, but sometimes would check for inventory on AA because it's faster. Sure enough, AA didn't show the flight as being available, but it was wide open on BA.
Were you able to get AA booked the AB flight for you, and also waived the booking fee? Or you ended up using Avios?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Were you able to get AA booked the AB flight for you, and also waived the booking fee? Or you ended up using Avios?
No, I used Avios. I was planning on doing so all along (because it's 20,000 miles instead of 30,000). I was just periodically checking the flight on aa.com because it's faster. But also, apparently, less accurate these days!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
No, I used Avios. I was planning on doing so all along (because it's 20,000 miles instead of 30,000). I was just periodically checking the flight on aa.com because it's faster. But also, apparently, less accurate these days!
The Germany taxes are very high. If flying economy, the pay ticket these days often are sub $400 R/T - this compares to 20 to 25K Avios + $86 taxes one-way, dont seem award in coach is worth it.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Member

Agree you can get more value from other redemptions but I do one-ways and I need the flexibility AA award provides on date/flight changes.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The Germany taxes are very high. If flying economy, the pay ticket these days often are sub $400 R/T - this compares to 20 to 25K Avios + $86 taxes one-way, dont seem award in coach is worth it.
Very much correct -- at least for the moment, when close attention to a site like secretflying.com can sometimes net you sub $400 transatlantic flights in season (albeit not likely from Germany due to their carbon tax). That said, if you need a one-way from Germany, Avios on Air Berlin (if it works for you in their limited network) is probably still the best deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.