Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carolina13
That doesn't exactly answer my question as that thread presumes the award is available on AA's site. However, conventional wisdom is that if BA is showing it as award available, that should be available to all OW partners. And will be flying from Europe to US (TXL-ORD).
I have noticed that I don't see AB listed when I try to book award travel to Europe. A couple of years ago, I had not problem seeing award seats on AB. Are they even bookable on AA.com anymore? Does anyone have recent experience with this?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"And will be flying from Europe to US (TXL-ORD)."

Then Coach will cost 30K miles peak, and 22.5K miles off-peak, one way. But with today's devaluation, AA's off-peak periods have been substantially reduced.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jesmurillo31
i have also tried switching my BAEC account from US, to germany to holland and i still show no availability.

looking for AB on July 10th, from DUS-SFO...only 1 seat has been booked in entire business section. (looking for 2 bus awards)

: (
How can you possibly know? You can only know that if there are less than 8 seats in the entire section (as then it would go from J7 to J6 if 1 seat were booked).

I'm guessing you're probably making the mistake of looking at seating charts and assuming they correlate to bookings. Not so. There are many situations, especially overseas, where people may book flights without choosing specific seats. In fact, some foreign airlines don't allow most passengers to pick seats far in advance; are you sure AirBerlin is not one of these?

In any rate, airlines don't release award seats based on current bookings, they release awards seats based on booking forecasts. If they've operated that route (or a similar route) for a few years, they may have statistics on how many people pay for business class seats for July flights much later than March.

So the question is not how many seats are booked now (even if determined correctly), it's how many paid seats were booked on this (or similar) routes by departure time last July.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by mvoight
I have noticed that I don't see AB listed when I try to book award travel to Europe. A couple of years ago, I had not problem seeing award seats on AB. Are they even bookable on AA.com anymore? Does anyone have recent experience with this?
I booked an AB award on Saturday (3/19). I am flying ORD-TXL tomorrow (3/23) in J.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:37 pm

AA Awards: No intra German connections with AB after 05/01/16?

I checked AA award availability and no Air Berlin flights with intra German connections are available after 05/01/2016.

A few days ago I was able to still find flights with AB to Germany, but only to AB hub in DUS or TXL. No connections from there.

No it seems no AB award flights at all.

Any idea? Rumors were that AB is going bankrupt or leaving Oneworld due to Ethiads interest.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Lots of AB discussion going on here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssing-etc.html

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:01 pm

AB awards on AA

I can see AB awards available until 04/30. Nothing after that. I have an award trip coming in May with AB, booked months ago.

However it seems AB does not have any award flights open, not even with BA.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Also, the Niki availability showing on AA.com is phantom, not bookable. What a mess. The process of booking various partner awards (EY, QF, AB) with AA miles is a mess for months and nobody cares to fix it, certainly not AA.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I have 2 J seats booked 6 months ago with Saver for June 3 JFK-DUS-FLR, I've been checking it every few days expecting something bad to happen; so far so good.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nk15
Also, the Niki availability showing on AA.com is phantom, not bookable. What a mess. The process of booking various partner awards (EY, QF, AB) with AA miles is a mess for months and nobody cares to fix it, certainly not AA.
I am not sure this is universally true. For example, VIE-KEF on 8/4 is bookable on AA.com.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I also recently ticketed an early June flight on Niki. I think Niki is spared for now: the problem is largely AB-specific.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by villagorilla2
I can see AB awards available until 04/30. Nothing after that. I have an award trip coming in May with AB, booked months ago.

However it seems AB does not have any award flights open, not even with BA.
Call some BA contact center numbers and see what BA pulls up over the phone when you ask for a specific AB flight. I've had a good deal of luck that way, when BA's website doesn't show me award space on AB. And if BA can find it, then call AA and see what they can do.

I like to use my AA and BA stash on AB flights because it helps me to avoids the AA/BA surcharge trap on award tickets.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
AA Awards on Air Berlin

I did some searching and didn't find much on this. I am looking to use AA miles for two Business Awards JFK-TXL in mid-2017. Does anyone have experience as to when such awards open up, and what is the likelihood of snagging two?

Any guidance will be appreciated, thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
AB availability seems to come and go.

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 6, 2016 at 12:06 pm Reason: removed link to this page, merged thread cleanup
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Noticed twice during the past couple of months that AA.com does not always show all AB awards. For example, OCT 16 DUS JFK. AA.com shows only the 5PM flight available. On BA.com, it shows both the morning and afternoon flights with awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.