Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
I have a TXL-CDG flight january 3rd with aadvantage. They refused to do anything except book me on other flights with aaward availability. Has anyone else had a different experience? They said they had more latitutde with flight between now and Oct 31st.
FYI AA was the issuing carrier so dont they have a responsability to make good on the ticket. The full ITN is TXL-CDG (AB) stop CDG-LHR (BA) LHR-MIA (AA).
When you say, "except book me on other flights with aaward availability," what is wrong with that? If they have an award do you not want it?

If there is no award, AA does not have the power to release awards on partner flights. You could ask them to contact the oneworld liason at IB, BA, or AY (Finnair) to request them to do so, but there is no nonstop.

Or are you saying you want AA to put you on all AA metal TXL-XXX-XXX-MIA? That might not be an unreasonable request.

Otherwise you could probably buy that segment on AF or a LCC, and ask AA to drop it from the award at no charge.

Last edited by rrgg; Oct 20, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Or take a train to FRA (out of your own pocket) and see if AA will open up space FRA-CLT/DFW/PHL-MIA.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
When you say, "except book me on other flights with aaward availability," what is wrong with that? If they have an award do you not want it?

If there is no award, AA does not have the power to release awards on partner flights. You could ask them to contact the oneworld liason at IB, BA, or AY (Finnair) to request them to do so, but there is no nonstop.

Or are you saying you want AA to put you on all AA metal TXL-XXX-XXX-MIA? That might not be an unreasonable request.

Otherwise you could probably buy that segment on AF or a LCC, and ask AA to drop it from the award at no charge.

A: The problem is they do not have an AAward for the AB segment with any routing on the same day.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Or take a train to FRA (out of your own pocket) and see if AA will open up space FRA-CLT/DFW/PHL-MIA.

The problem with that is that it omits the stop in CDG which is 5 nights.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:20 pm

I have a TXL-CDG flight january 3rd with aadvantage. They refused to do anything except book me on other flights with aaward availability. Has anyone else had a different experience? They said they had more latitutde with flight between now and Oct 31st.
FYI AA was the issuing carrier so dont they have a responsability to make good on the ticket. The full ITN is TXL-CDG (AB) stop CDG-LHR (BA) LHR-MIA (AA).
Honestly, an AF ticket on the 3rd is 118 Euros. Just buy a revenue ticket and ask for AA to give you your miles back for that segment. Any possible itinerary AA is going to book you up (even opening up award inventory) is going to at least triple the length of the trip. Your time is worth something, and this is a bad value miles redemption in the first place.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with that is that it omits the stop in CDG which is 5 nights.
So you must be on two separate awards? But I'm guessing as part of the same PNR / reservation?

I agree your best course of action is to cancel/refund the TXL-CDG leg and just purchase it on another carrier. Otherwise I think the only other option would be TXL-LHR-CDG, or maybe TXL-HEL-CDG, and I'd rather pay cash for a nonstop than do either of those routings.

But if you insist on the award routing, what does AA say when you "demand" to be flown as ticketed -- from TXL to CDG and then from CDG to MIA? I'm pretty sure they're obligated to rebook you, and they can't collect additional fees.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:55 pm

What would you prefer AA do to resolve this?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
What would you prefer AA do to resolve this?
They are the issuing carrier. I bought a product from them. I would like to receive said product.

Anyway I convinced them to refund the ticket without penalty, which at the time was not standard practice. Maybe now they are allowing this option.

Instead a bought TXL-VIE overnight VIE-CDG on Austrian discount J for $299.00 a bargain when you figure in what baggage would cost when added to a discount Y fare on an LCC or even AF.

The Agent I spoke with said they are still looking at the far out travel cases and have no policy on what the protection would be, except that there would be some sort of protection

I thought it wiser now to fix this than wait for the rush closer in. AB had a lot of flights, even if the OW partners step in to help, there is only so much capacity. I could see them loosening up some seats on existing flights to help. I can't see them adding flights that were not there to begin with.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EP
Just move on.

U do realize that despite 3 bankruptcies in ow, this is t an everyday occurrence and that you are probably not the most pressing issue of the day.

They are the issuing carrier. I bought a product from them. I would like to receive said product.

Anyway I convinced them to refund the ticket without penalty, which at the time was not standard practice. Maybe now they are allowing this option.

Instead a bought TXL-VIE overnight VIE-CDG on Austrian discount J for $299.00 a bargain when you figure in what baggage would cost when added to a discount Y fare on an LCC or even AF.

The Agent I spoke with said they are still looking at the far out travel cases and have no policy on what the protection would be, except that there would be some sort of protection

I thought it wiser now to fix this than wait for the rush closer in. AB had a lot of flights, even if the OW partners step in to help, there is only so much capacity. I could see them loosening up some seats on existing flights to help. I can't see them adding flights that were not there to begin with.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:37 pm

I know you're angry, but I was only trying to help. I wanted to know specifically what flight or other resolution you wanted since yours is no longer flown and you didn't like my earlier suggestion. Anyway, I'm glad you are able to get a refund, because that use of miles didn't sound that great anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.