Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page > bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge)

bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge)

Reply

Old Oct 21, 17, 2:26 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,061
Thumbs down bumped from TATL J award seat, new flights (to merge)

I have two J award tickets for tomorrow, Oct. 22 from MCI-DFW-MAD on AA ,MAD-BCN in IB. With less than 24 hours before the flight AA calls me and says they have to bump one of us from our J seat because they need it for an extra pilot. Huh, what's with that? I asked them to bump someone else but they said I'm the only one, likely because my seat is an award seat and I have not status other than Gold. Our only option was to take an involuntary downgrade or completely different flights at much much earlier times.

I was not willing to fly econ so I took the new flights MCI-CLT-JFK-BCN in J on AA the whole way. I had to scramble to contact my airport drop off service and pick up in Barcelona as all flights are 6 hours earlier than the original plans. AA has also sent me 2 $500 vouchers for future travel which I don't think is enough.

I used all of my remaining AAdvantage miles for this trip and was hoping to be done with flying AA forever but now I'm stuck with them orI lose $1000.
susiesan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:31 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 857
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I have two J award tickets for tomorrow, Oct. 22 from MCI-DFW-MAD on AA ,MAD-BCN in IB. With less than 24 hours before the flight AA calls me and says they have to bump one of us from our J seat because they need it for an extra pilot. Huh, what's with that? I asked them to bump someone else but they said I'm the only one, likely because my seat is an award seat and I have not status other than Gold. Our only option was to take an involuntary downgrade or completely different flights at much much earlier times.

I was not willing to fly econ so I took the new flights MCI-CLT-JFK-BCN in J on AA the whole way. I had to scramble to contact my airport drop off service and pick up in Barcelona as all flights are 6 hours earlier than the original plans. AA has also sent me 2 $500 vouchers for future travel which I don't think is enough.

I used all of my remaining AAdvantage miles for this trip and was hoping to be done with flying AA forever but now I'm stuck with them orI lose $1000.
Is this a "vent" thread, or is there a legitimate complaint buried in here?

You have (almost) no status and you're on award travel. Who do you expect them to bump when must-fly personnel need a seat?

The compensation they provided is astoundingly generous by the way.
kb9522 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:40 pm
  #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,023
Agreed, $1000 in credit is fantastic compensation for what amounts to a minor inconvenience.

Guess you'll have to weigh the benefit of the vouchers against your odd determination to "be done with flying AA forever," but you'll never get a better deal than this.
rjw242 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:49 pm
  #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
You've now been essentially paid $1000 to take your "free" award trip. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
bse118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:55 pm
  #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans (MSY); Jackson (JAN); Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,187
I'm not an AA apologist by any means, but I think they handled this well given the circumstances. I'm impressed that AA actually had the decency to call and work out things ahead of time. This could have been a nasty little surprise at the airport, and you likely would have had significantly fewer options available to you. This sucks and feels wrong on so many levels, I know, but I think AA at least handled it well. The two $500 eVouchers were an incredibly nice gesture, as well, IMHO.

What I'm confused about is why the "extra pilot" couldn't fly in a Y seat. Did the crew member have an immediate turn, or did AA accidentally sell a crew rest seat in the J cabin? I've flown next to deadheading pilots in MCE on the DFW-HKG flight who were piloting the aircraft to DFW the next day. I'd guess this would be more of a FAM/"security" issue than an "extra pilot" issue, but that's just my theory.

Unfortunately, sometimes this is the way it goes on an award ticket. It happened to me at the gate before as an EXP on an AAnytime award. I was flying MSY-MIA-MAD, and the MSY-MIA flight was oversold by two. My companion and I were essentially told to cooperate and accept new arrangements if we wanted to fly to MAD in J that day. Of course, our bags didn't get the memo.

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Agreed, $1000 in credit is fantastic compensation for what amounts to a minor inconvenience.
+1. I've been told to basically pound sand before as an EXP.
josmul123 likes this.
brewdog11 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 2:57 pm
  #6
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,061
Originally Posted by kb9522 View Post
Is this a "vent" thread, or is there a legitimate complaint buried in here?

You have (almost) no status and you're on award travel. Who do you expect them to bump when must-fly personnel need a seat?

The compensation they provided is astoundingly generous by the way.
it is kind of a vent thread. I just don't believe their excuse because they already lied to me once. They claimed to have called me last night at 9:30pm to advise of all this but they did not call or send an email or text alert. I was home ll night and the phone never rang. I have been planning this trip and working out the details for 11 months and a last minute mess up throws me off balance.

So $1000 in vouchers is generous? I would have rather had cash as I likely won't be able to use them. All my vacation travel for the next 12 months is already planned and booked.
susiesan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:05 pm
  #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
enviroian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Irving, TX
Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 13,508
It is generous and AA did you a favor.

Enjoy!
enviroian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:08 pm
  #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 35,884
$500 voucher to travel a few hours earlier seems quite a reasonable compensation

That it called you in advance and gave an option to reroute is better than just downgrading

You do not have to use the vouchers and can just cease flying AA , as you intended - or maybe you can use the voucher for someone else who wants to travel

Having to make a call to change a taxi booking to an earlier time and another to let someone know of earlier arrival time, does not seem to be a major issue - and hardly "scrambling"
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:12 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AA MM (EXP thru 2017), DL PM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 2,960
OP, I empathize with you. Although it seems like AA did handle this relatively well, it still sucks that they can do this with virtually no penalty. If you, on the other hand, wanted to make a last-minute change, I'm sure they would want hard cash from you! But they get to give you vouchers which you can't use, and you're supposed to like it?

I take exception to the poster who says that this is only a "minor" inconvenience. You have no idea how this affects the OP's plans. What is a minor inconvenience to you might be a major inconvenience to someone else.

Unfortunately, without greater consumer protection for consumers like those the EU has, there's not much we can do when this happens.

Last edited by mikew99; Oct 21, 17 at 4:41 pm Reason: Grammar obsession
mikew99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:20 pm
  #10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,061
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
$500 voucher to travel a few hours earlier seems quite a reasonable compensation

That it called you in advance and gave an option to reroute is better than just downgrading

You do not have to use the vouchers and can just cease flying AA , as you intended - or maybe you can use the voucher for someone else who wants to travel

Having to make a call to change a taxi booking to an earlier time and another to let someone know of earlier arrival time, does not seem to be a major issue - and hardly "scrambling"
There was also a call to make, making new arrangements for the house/dogsitter, and the inconvenience of arriving in Barcelona way to early to check into our B&B and finding something to do all day with luggage and possible work stoppages and strikes in Barcelona with the current political mess there.

I suppose I can check out the Admirals Club at JFK. Wasn't it just remodeled? I've never been there nor to one in CLT if there is one.

I did have plans for this evening which will need to be cancelled so that the packing I was going to do in the morning will have to be done tonight.
susiesan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:24 pm
  #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans (MSY); Jackson (JAN); Shreveport (SHV)
Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I suppose I can check out the Admirals Club at JFK. Wasn't it just remodeled? I've never been there nor to one in CLT if there is one.
You'll have access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK as a J passenger. Head to the club near the security checkpoint to access it. It was recently beautifully remodeled. It's a great place to wait for a flight, although it can get busy in the evenings. There's a buffet, a champagne bar, nice showers, among other things.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
brewdog11 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:24 pm
  #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 35,884
I cannot see that plans for the evening would be impacted by the small time needed to pack

If Barcelona has the issue of strikes, then getting there earlier is surely a benefit to give extra time to deal with them

$1000 for having to make 3 phone calls seems pretty decent
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:26 pm
  #13
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Platinum, Global Entry, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Posts: 920
Sorry for your stressful experience. I'm worried now about flying my award ticket because I won't have the ability to reschedule (going on a cruise), nor can I handle a 14 hour flight in economy even for $500.

While understanding the fact that award passengers are bottom of the barrel, its still upsetting because it takes so much effort to earn the miles and find saver awards.
Gig103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:26 pm
  #14
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, CX SL
Posts: 1,289
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I suppose I can check out the Admirals Club at JFK. Wasn't it just remodeled? I've never been there nor to one in CLT if there is one.
You will have access to the new Flagship Lounge at JFK, near gate B12. You will also have access to the AC at CLT--there are two (forget the exact locations).
dkc192 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:33 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
So $1000 in vouchers is generous? I would have rather had cash as I likely won't be able to use them. All my vacation travel for the next 12 months is already planned and booked.
Note: I *believe* that terms of the vouchers are that you have to use them - by purchasing a ticket - within the 12mos, but the date of the flight you purchase can be after the 12 months.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong there...
bse118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:19 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.