Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Currently (24 Sep 2017): airberlin has filed for insolvency, and announced they will wind down all operations by 28 October 2017. As of 15 Oct 2017 discontinued all long haul operations. Link to Forbes Magazine article.

Previously:

NOTE: change may be in the air.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ses-us-partner
http://www.aero.de/news-25278/Americ...ir-Berlin.html
http://www.tt.com/home/12164834-91/a...nes-bangen.csp

The end is nigh...

Should be interesting for those holding award seats on airBerlin... (that would include me).
Print Wikipost

AB / airberlin "Air Berlin" award issues (by 28 Oct 2017 winds down ops)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:53 am

AB was also discussed in the BA forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-partners.html
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AB is a small carrier with little TATL capacity or routes. AA saver award availability is poor. Nobody (well, maybe a few) wants to pay BA long-haul YQ. Iberia awards aren't searched on aa.com. What availability comes open on AB gets taken immediately by the frenzied award searches of maybe 100 million AAdvantage members post-merger.
I agree, but to a point.

Up until recently, AB figured in nearly every AA search.
Now, there is absolultely zero availability past January. I get that summer may be high demand time, but not too many people are dying to go DUS in Feb.

BA has been tough too. Trying to get to Norway (not Oslo) over Labor Day, I am not entirely opposed to BA. I can put all my spending for Dec on my 2 Chase BA cards and get the Travel Together certs before the end of the year..but little good it will do. There is very little F availability over that time.

For comparison, on Labor Day'13, I had 4 F awards on BA - and the NYC-LHR leg the 4 of us were the only ones in the F cabin.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:54 am

This is still a ways off, lots of things can evolve...I know a lot of us (myself included) like to book all of our trips on the day the window opens, but that might just not be the way it is any more. Lots of moving parts with mergers, IT migrations, devaluations, etc. Over on the EY thread there is plenty of discussion of the issues in showing/procuring EY awards so either it is some great worldwide conspiracy orchestrated by AA, or there are just some systems issues going on right now.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Luckily I had already booked my TATL flights for this summer but there was a significant schedule change for connecting flight in Europe. I am even having troubles finding AB intra European flights from DUS. Nothing is showing up. I am sure availability will come back and then I can use the schedule change
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:33 am

check out this post by milevalue

http://www.milevalue.com/category/finnair/

his screenshots show tons of AB space in either class

while it's from August, it's highly unlikely everything got booked.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevento
check out this post by milevalue

http://www.milevalue.com/category/finnair/

his screenshots show tons of AB space in either class

while it's from August, it's highly unlikely everything got booked.
I repeated all of those searches. Not a single AB flight resulted. Only 1+ stops, mostly BA through LHR. Something is wacky!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by sosfo
I've been looking every day and have multiple expertflyer alerts set for US-EU travel in the coming summer. Availability at the saver level is about nonexistent in any class on AA metal and non-BA OW partner metal. Really. There's not a single saver seat beteween DFW and FRA in all of June. It's not an engine issue with AA.com since expertflyer and the Advantage phone reps don't see any inventory either (all three use a different system).

My only response from AA was "there's nothing available, but keep trying!" It's very, very frustrating. Right now my only options are to book at anytime levels or fly BA with a $500 fuel surcharge per ticket EACH WAY.

It's so bad that American is actually making Delta award redemption look good!
I was looking for two J Saver tickets for next September to Europe at 330 days. The only destination I could find reliably on AA metal was DUB, with some spotty availability to FRA and LHR, usually with miserable connections. I couldn't find anything on AB and AY was spotty as well.

So, yeah, to get to Oktoberfest next fall, I'm flying through DUB and then taking Ryanair to Munich. At least I got J seats and the dates I wanted though. Not ideal, but it'll work.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
AY was spotty as well.
Is Finnair ever available, or is it all phantom?
What's a good way to search it without running a million searches on BA and not dealing with false positives on AA?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
I have that issue in March too. I currently have econ PHL-FRA booked, but want to go business. I can't find a route that doesn't have BA has the carrier. I looked at AB to see if I could do NYC-DUS then DUS-FRA and nothing. Really frustrating because I can purchase it (and through MIA or ORD too!), but can't even see it as a listing (more expensive or not) in miles.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Funny you mention that. I would see open flights on AY, but when I would click on them to select them, I'd get a message that said, "Flight is no longer available".

What's a good way to search it without running a million searches on BA and not dealing with false positives on AA?
Calling might be your best bet.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Finnair award availability using AA/BA miles/points is spotty, but I've booked AY many times using my AA miles. I book a mix of short-haul and long-haul flights when it comes to using AY flights with my AA miles. They have historically been relatively miserly with releasing award seats, and it's not really anything new for AY.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Funny you mention that. I would see open flights on AY, but when I would click on them to select them, I'd get a message that said, "Flight is no longer available".

Calling might be your best bet.
This started happening at the same time that AB disappeared from searches (maybe 3-4 weeks ago).

For AB, at the time just before it disappeared, we were finding availability about every other day or so from TXL to ORD or DUS to LAX or MIA, so there was availability for all over the schedule for weeks at a time, not just on BA or the occasional AY flight that we might find now if we're lucky.

We were getting a feel for what was available while searching those few weeks and weren't too concerned at the time as we were more worried about getting the domestic segments in premium cabins on AA/US metal and were even planning on getting positioning tickets if necessary.

Then, all of a sudden the availability completely dried up about 3 weeks ago (as noted before--for practically the whole year) and has not reappeared in the intervening weeks at all.

A few days ago we called in and spoke to a pretty decent agent. At first she didn't understand why she couldn't find availability, but then made a number of calls to different departments, first to IT, but then who even knows where.

We ended up being on the phone for almost an hour. Her investigation, at least what she reported to us, is that this is all on Air Berlin's end--that they are withholding award availability to partners for the time being and when it was going to become available again she did not know. We asked if this had anything to do with the new routes and again she didn't have an answer, but thought like we did that the new routes should have opened up availability, not restricted it as AB should want those planes full even if many of those seats are awards.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
This started happening at the same time that AB disappeared from searches (maybe 3-4 weeks ago).

For AB, at the time just before it disappeared, we were finding availability about every other day or so from TXL to ORD or DUS to LAX or MIA, so there was availability for all over the schedule for weeks at a time, not just on BA or the occasional AY flight that we might find now if we're lucky.
As I've said, this has to do with ABs new routes and transition to sabre. And its not just ow partners, ABs own award availability has become nearly nonexistent too. In fact I keep getting AA ORD-DUS flights when I search on AB. On the bright side, the new SFO-DUS flight is showing availability on some sundays in June on AB (not sure on AA)
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:47 am

Thumbs down Air Berlin Award Flights

It seems that Air Berlin is either extremely popular or just unavailable in the OneWorld network. I have been looking for flights in economy or business from TXL - JFK and I can't find a single Air Berlin flight in June or a return Air Berlin Flight in August. I would expect that, even if a saver wasn't available, there would be a standard award available at least one of those days throughout the month. I spoke to an AA rep, thinking I would have better luck on the phone, and they said that they have had the same issue with AB as well as Cathay. Not sure if anything can be done. I would fly BA but their carrier fees are almost as expensive as buying the ticket outright. What a scam that is.

P.S. On the flip side Star Alliance has plenty of saver availability for TXL-JFK and their carrier fees are peanuts. +1 for Star Alliance.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, UA 1K
No Air Berlin award availability after MAR 5

Does anybody know why there is no availability on any AB fligt after Mar 5 2016 using AA miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.