Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Also if you don't want to call, just send a DM on Twitter w/ the PNR and pax info and tell them you need it ticketed and ask whether they can push it through. I've never had them say no.
I have an award ticket involving a BA leg that has been on request for over 3 weeks. I reached out on twitter and they would not push it through. Just said it was in the cue and they could do nothing to help.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:45 am

I'm still waiting for my reservations to ticket properly; it's been almost 40 days now, for travel in July. I guess there is really no point in calling again? This seems like an unnecessary complication to the magic of contemporary air travel.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
Put a booking on hold after a call. Was told I had 5 days. A few hours later, I notice my hold is gone and so is the award space for this flight. I, stupidly, did not even copy the Hold PNR. Don't have the energy to argue with AA over the phone since I doubt they would open space on QR (my original 'held' itinerary)
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:38 am

I had placed an award booking on hold on Feb 21, bought it on Feb 25. The booking was "on request" for about 30 minutes before the status changed to "ticketed". This is for travel on all BA metal in August.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Odd situation here — dealing with a BOS-JFK-HND-ITM itinerary about two weeks out. First leg is on B6; rest is on JL. I initially held the JFK-HND, and had an agent add the BOS-JFK and HND-ITM segments earlier today.

Went just now to ticket it, and the B6 BOS-JFK segment had disappeared. Called AA; agent was puzzled, but managed to re-add the segment, assign seats on B6, and process payment for the flight.

I just went back to the PNR — which is currently "on request" — and the BOS-JFK B6 segment has once again disappeared.

I have screenshots of the PNR from both times when the B6 segment was in the record, including the B6 PNRs. Is it reasonable to assume AA will find some way to fix this, either by reinstating the B6 flight or opening space on the similarly timed YX flight?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Puzzles
Put a booking on hold after a call. Was told I had 5 days. A few hours later, I notice my hold is gone and so is the award space for this flight. I, stupidly, did not even copy the Hold PNR. Don't have the energy to argue with AA over the phone since I doubt they would open space on QR (my original 'held' itinerary)
Most likely, the agent never put it on hold.

If you go part-way through the booking process (certainly, far enough to select seats) a PNR is created. This is required to hold your space and your seats. This will show up as "on hold" in your AA account but will quickly disappear if you don't pay or put a real hold on it.

It's a nice feature, in case there's an issue with the app (sometimes it kicks me back to the main screen if I switch to another app and back) so this allows you to pick up where you left off. You actually could have gone in and put it on hold yourself before it disappeared.

Keep checking; the award space may reappear. It can take a while after the hold is cancelled.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Website says pending. AA says it’s ticketed??

I bought a flight from Fort Myers to Austin via DFW yesterday for my mother in law and her in cabin dog.

it’s been well over 12 hours. The app and website say it’s pending. When I called AA yesterday they said, no it’s ticketed.

Has anyone experienced this. Should I believe the agent or keep investigating. Does having a dog have anything to do with it?

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 18, 2023 at 11:10 am Reason: removed images with PNR
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I've never seen where they disagree... Was the agent able to give you the actual ticket number? That would seem to be the way to determine the status.
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Did you refresh? It says updated 15h 53m ago. Usually a quick refresh will then show ticketed.

FYI-Your PNR is still visible as it's in two locations.
javabytes likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
I bought a flight from Fort Myers to Austin via DFW yesterday for my mother in law and her in cabin dog.

it’s been well over 12 hours. The app and website say it’s pending. When I called AA yesterday they said, no it’s ticketed.

Has anyone experienced this. Should I believe the agent or keep investigating. Does having a dog have anything to do with it?
Did you refresh the reservation in the app? It should say up top how recently it was refreshed.

Did you get an email with a ticket number? This usually happens when it's ticketed (though, not always... I just recently didn't get one when a partner award ticket was reissued to add a segment)

Anyway as long as you have a ticket number I would not worry. If you didn't get one emailed, the agent who claims it's ticketed should be able to provide it. Also, you can look up your reservation using that ticket number.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Award booking on Partner Airlines -Fiji Airways- Still on request-How long to ticket?

As above:

Fare was put on hold a day or so back and I called yesterday to purchase it using the miles now back into my account after the agent processed a cancellation.

It's still less than 24hrs since I booked this (18hrs ) over the phone but as this is a key flight I'm a bit paranoid it won't ticket for some reason.

Anyone have any idea how long it will take to ticket?

Is there anything I can do to check it's in progress or do I have to sweat it out?

Flight is not until August so urgency in that respect.

Last edited by blindman; Jun 3, 2023 at 4:50 am
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Hey all - so I have a ticketed partner award itin (ticket number in hand, AA stock, partner operated). In the receipts and refunds page, however, the status is "CTRL" - any idea what that means? Shouldn't it usually be "OK"?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by blindman
As above:

Fare was put on hold a day or so back and I called yesterday to purchase it using the miles now back into my account after the agent processed a cancellation.

It's still less than 24hrs since I booked this (18hrs ) over the phone but as this is a key flight I'm a bit paranoid it won't ticket for some reason.

Anyone have any idea how long it will take to ticket?

Is there anything I can do to check it's in progress or do I have to sweat it out?

Flight is not until August so urgency in that respect.
blindman did you end up getting it ticketed? I booked a flight for February and I'm kinda scared it won't be ticketed somehow... AA said they won't expedite the process to get it's ticketed ​​​​​​​
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Hey all - so I have a ticketed partner award itin (ticket number in hand, AA stock, partner operated). In the receipts and refunds page, however, the status is "CTRL" - any idea what that means? Shouldn't it usually be "OK"?
I have the same scenario. The flights on my itinerary that are on AA metal say OK, but everything on BA says CTRL.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by cartuner
I have the same scenario. The flights on my itinerary that are on AA metal say OK, but everything on BA says CTRL.
FWIW it worked out fine for me; no hiccups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.