Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Called again a few minutes ago... Hold time (callback time, actually) was 8-11 minutes. That's pretty darn good.

Anyway, the very nice lady called the liaison desk, who called her help desk... And... there's nothing wrong, they tend to work on these closer to the travel date, just sit tight.
I wanted to provide an update on my situation. I have a combined BA-AA award reservation. My reservation went from "ticketed" to "on request" after an AA schedule change.

After over 4 months of being "on request" and now less than 30 days until departure I called yet again. Hold time was quoted as 5-7 minutes. I don't know what was different about this agent or who she talked with, or if it is just the fact that I'm now at less than 30 days to departure, but... after another 10-15 minutes waiting on hold while she worked with her help desk who worked with the BA liaison... presto, my flight is once-again ticketed. It really shouldn't be this hard. Oy.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
At what point should I call in to check on an "On Request" reservation?

A schedule change on a previously ticketed AS-operated award trip meant I had to call in last week to change to a better flight. The new flight didn't have any award inventory, so I'm assuming the reason it's On Request for so long is because someone needs to manually reach out to AS to open inventory.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I had an AA award with multiple partners, and one segment (MH NRT-KUL) was canceled. The helpful rep amended me to new flights, in consideration of the fact JP is closed.
Old: HNL-NRT (HA) NRT-KUL-HKT (MH)
New: HNL-NRT (HA; same flight) NRT-CGK (JL) CGK-KUL-HKT (MH)

It's been about 50 hours now and it's stuck in On Request. I assume no extra miles are needed (partner award start/end has not changed), but possibly taxes... even though they told me nothing else was due. Was able to select seats for all new segments.

Flight isn't until Dec, so probably not a priority.. Is it something to worry about or should I just wait another day or two? I assume it might need Rate Desk approval or something?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I had an AA award with multiple partners, and one segment (MH NRT-KUL) was canceled. The helpful rep amended me to new flights, in consideration of the fact JP is closed.
Old: HNL-NRT (HA) NRT-KUL-HKT (MH)
New: HNL-NRT (HA; same flight) NRT-CGK (JL) CGK-KUL-HKT (MH)

It's been about 50 hours now and it's stuck in On Request. I assume no extra miles are needed (partner award start/end has not changed), but possibly taxes... even though they told me nothing else was due. Was able to select seats for all new segments.

Flight isn't until Dec, so probably not a priority.. Is it something to worry about or should I just wait another day or two? I assume it might need Rate Desk approval or something?
Mine has been stuck in "On Request" for 10 days now, so I just sent a message over Chat and they confirmed everything looked fine on their end and it's just stuck in the manual queue. May be worth doing the same (or calling) to make sure everything is fine. It seems like the reticket queue is still "miserably long"
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Mine has been stuck in "On Request" for 10 days now, so I just sent a message over Chat and they confirmed everything looked fine on their end and it's just stuck in the manual queue. May be worth doing the same (or calling) to make sure everything is fine. It seems like the reticket queue is still "miserably long"
Ouch - I'm only on Day 3 at this point. I did chat with them and they said it's in the queue. As this is an award though.. does this mean I can rely on it being "held" for me, or do I have as good as nothing until it's confirmed. Makes me a bit nervous
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch - I'm only on Day 3 at this point. I did chat with them and they said it's in the queue. As this is an award though.. does this mean I can rely on it being "held" for me, or do I have as good as nothing until it's confirmed. Makes me a bit nervous
Technically you can't be sure of anything until you have a ticket number (and even then it's not 100%) but yes, the space is held for you. It's just not ticketed.
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:00 pm

A few days since this post. Did it ever ticket..?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
FYI I booked flights in May for August travel, applied SWUs and it was "on request" for 60 days... I thought I might have to pay extra tax or fees on an upgraded LHR-JFK leg. But I sent a note on Twitter asking them to ticket it and it was done within 24 hours, no extra $, it was just "stuck" it seems. Might be worth just asking them to push it through.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:36 pm

Nope, still "On Request"

I'll bug them again next week :/
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:12 am

Update: Thanks to @platbrownguy's tip, I contacted their Twitter and they got it ticketed.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

Update: Thanks to @platbrownguy's tip, I contacted their Twitter and they got it ticketed.
Welp, I got the same "We see this reservation is on our queue for processing. We'll update you via email once completed" via Twitter too -_-

I'll give it some more time, maybe they'll push it through...
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:07 pm

Welp, I got the same "We see this reservation is on our queue for processing. We'll update you via email once completed" via Twitter too -_-

I'll give it some more time, maybe they'll push it through...
I did get that too, but asked nicely if they could do anything to push it through, as it had been X days and I was apprehensive etc. They were nice about that.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:31 pm

I did get that too, but asked nicely if they could do anything to push it through, as it had been X days and I was apprehensive etc. They were nice about that.
Looks like they couldn't do anything about it... I may call again next week, because a comparable ticket can't be bought anymore (married segment availability) and I'd really like to get this ticketed.

I'm glad you got yours ticketed though!

Sorry, our award reservations are on a specific path to ensure all the miles and other airline requirements cover all the bases. We show no errors on the remarks, so everything looks a-ok for processing.
MDTyKe likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 7:21 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Booked an award with JL 10 days ago, status still on request and not changed, also miles weren't deducted yet even though they took my info. Should I call in and ask for it to be ticketed?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:19 pm

I reserved two award tickets with AA miles on AS on December 3 for travel in September 2023. Was "on request" for two weeks so I called on December 17. AA supposedly checked with AS, which said there was a big backlog and AS was ticketed them in order of first to travel, and to check back 30 days after the original booking date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.