Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:56 pm

Partner award flight still on request after 2 weeks

I have a flight from SEA => MAD in February next year which has 2 connections. 2 of the legs are on AA (first/business), and the final leg is on BA (business). I have a 6 digit confirmation from both AA and BA for this flight. When I called to check on the status, they said they probably won't be able to confirm until January. Over chat, they said I should give it another 2 weeks. From previous threads, it seems like this isn't too unusual, but it does worry me that the award space could disappear before it can get ticketed. Also, it's concerning that the miles aren't deducted at time of booking, and I didn't receive any email confirmation of the purchase price. Just wanted to check if this is something to worry about.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The award space can't disappear.

From the sheer volume of posts about this I think it's safe to say that it's common and nothing to worry about. There is a lot of complaining about this but no reports of award space disappearing.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sbl03
I have a flight from SEA => MAD in February next year which has 2 connections. 2 of the legs are on AA (first/business), and the final leg is on BA (business). I have a 6 digit confirmation from both AA and BA for this flight. When I called to check on the status, they said they probably won't be able to confirm until January. Over chat, they said I should give it another 2 weeks. From previous threads, it seems like this isn't too unusual, but it does worry me that the award space could disappear before it can get ticketed. Also, it's concerning that the miles aren't deducted at time of booking, and I didn't receive any email confirmation of the purchase price. Just wanted to check if this is something to worry about.
Did your credit card get charged? See my previous post about my card not being charged and I received no notice. It never would have ticketed if I hadn't called and specifically mentioned that my card was not charged.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
Did your credit card get charged? See my previous post about my card not being charged and I received no notice. It never would have ticketed if I hadn't called and specifically mentioned that my card was not charged.
Your credit card won't be charged until it's ticketed.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Your credit card won't be charged until it's ticketed.
It should show a pending charge. The pending charge will turn into an actually charge at ticketing. I just went through this multiple times recently. However, the pending could have dropped off based on the amount of time OP says has passed. If they don't remember seeing a pending charge, then they should call AA and ask if the card information is correct.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skunker
It should show a pending charge. The pending charge will turn into an actually charge at ticketing. I just went through this multiple times recently. However, the pending could have dropped off based on the amount of time OP says has passed. If they don't remember seeing a pending charge, then they should call AA and ask if the card information is correct.
It sounds like you are describing an authorization. But I never get those; I see nothing on my CC until the award is ticketed.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It sounds like you are describing an authorization. But I never get those; I see nothing on my CC until the award is ticketed.
This is my experience as well. I just ticketed a bunch of AA partner awards and none of them charged my card (or authorised it) until the ticket had been issued.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Booked an OSL-JAX RT through AA a few hours ago for next Friday. OSL-LHR and LHR-OSL are BA metal, LHR-MIA-JAX-DFW-LHR all AA metal. When I pull up the reservation on aa.com, it initially shows ticket status as on request but then the whole layout of the page changes before I can click on the on request thing and when the layout changes it just changes to pending. Is this normal to happen and if so how long should it take before it gets ticketed? Only reason I'm a little worried is because I also have an EWR-CLT-JAX later this month with AA that I booked awhile ago now but I booked that one, and it showed pending for like a day after booking so I called in and turns out something was wrong on their end and their system initially wasn't taking my credit card until an agent completely wiped all the info in there and tried again, then finally went through and came up as ticketed. I've taken a few AA flights since that happened with no issue, but just want to make sure I don't run into trouble again so I can catch it early before I pull up to the airport with a bad ticket.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Booked an OSL-JAX RT through AA a few hours ago for next Friday. OSL-LHR and LHR-OSL are BA metal, LHR-MIA-JAX-DFW-LHR all AA metal. When I pull up the reservation on aa.com, it initially shows ticket status as on request but then the whole layout of the page changes before I can click on the on request thing and when the layout changes it just changes to pending. Is this normal to happen and if so how long should it take before it gets ticketed? Only reason I'm a little worried is because I also have an EWR-CLT-JAX later this month with AA that I booked awhile ago now but I booked that one, and it showed pending for like a day after booking so I called in and turns out something was wrong on their end and their system initially wasn't taking my credit card until an agent completely wiped all the info in there and tried again, then finally went through and came up as ticketed. I've taken a few AA flights since that happened with no issue, but just want to make sure I don't run into trouble again so I can catch it early before I pull up to the airport with a bad ticket.
Figured I'd update this, flight is now in 7 days and is still showing pending and on request and I booked it over 72 hours ago now.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night I was very surprised that an AA metal only reservation was ticketed immediately after I held it for 4 days then went to ticket it. Never happened in the past even it would be all AA flights.
When I saw the status was ticketed, I could not believe it but lo and behold there is an email lust arrived the inbox.

One thing I definitely dont like the current website - there is no way to see ticket number like in the past there is a Print Receipt function. Now the only place the ticket number shows up is in the email. Though if it is partner award, you could see the ticket number from partners reservation page.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Last night I was very surprised that an AA metal only reservation was ticketed immediately after I held it for 4 days then went to ticket it. Never happened in the past even it would be all AA flights.
When I saw the status was ticketed, I could not believe it but lo and behold there is an email lust arrived the inbox.

One thing I definitely dont like the current website - there is no way to see ticket number like in the past there is a Print Receipt function. Now the only place the ticket number shows up is in the email. Though if it is partner award, you could see the ticket number from partners reservation page.
About 80% of my travel is domestic AA awards and IME they usually ticket within 5 minutes.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Happy

For the few trips that the "Print trip & receipt" actually still shows my info, I can still see our ticket numbers on that receipt when it opens in a separate window like usual.

I can also see our ticket numbers when I hover over the little "i" in the circle next to "Status: Ticketed" (above the royal blue "Change Trip" button in the left sidebar).
Happy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmrp
For the few trips that the "Print trip & receipt" actually still shows my info, I can still see our ticket numbers on that receipt when it opens in a separate window like usual.

I can also see our ticket numbers when I hover over the little "i" in the circle next to "Status: Ticketed" (above the royal blue "Change Trip" button in the left sidebar).
I only saw the Print trip & receipt flashed for 2 seconds then it changed to the new screen, in the Firefox browser. Thanks for the tip on that little "i" icon. I did not even notice it.
jmrp likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Furby
Interestingly, I had the exact same experience in that I could not book them online because of error messages and had to call in to get an agent to book for me.
I just had this happen yesterday on an award reservation with one segment on BA, one on AA-- no issue with holding the reservation, but I received an error message when trying to book it online. At first I tried to cancel the reservation, waited a minute for it to go back into inventory, and just tried to book right away. Oddly, when I hit submit with my credit card details, the page just reloaded. At that point I just put it on hold and called in to ticket.

Will see how long it takes to go from On Request to ticketed!
Old Dec 15, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dw
I just had this happen yesterday on an award reservation with one segment on BA, one on AA-- no issue with holding the reservation, but I received an error message when trying to book it online. At first I tried to cancel the reservation, waited a minute for it to go back into inventory, and just tried to book right away. Oddly, when I hit submit with my credit card details, the page just reloaded. At that point I just put it on hold and called in to ticket.

Will see how long it takes to go from On Request to ticketed!
This has been an ongoing bug with aa.com for months now.
dw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.