Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Advantage Award “On Request”

Two weeks ago I booked an award for, next September, FCO to LHR and on to JFK. All flights on BA. I received a confirmation code, but the reservation is listed on request. My credit card has not been charged or the miles deducted. The one way flights, in business, were 57,500 plus cash, each (for two)

Nothing close is available any more.

Should I be concerned that these awards will never be ticketed?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rstidolph
Two weeks ago I booked an award for, next September, FCO to LHR and on to JFK. All flights on BA. I received a confirmation code, but the reservation is listed on request. My credit card has not been charged or the miles deducted. The one way flights, in business, were 57,500 plus cash, each (for two)

Nothing close is available any more.

Should I be concerned that these awards will never be ticketed?
No. Waiting weeks for a trip that is very far off is not out of the ordinary. There's a dedicated thread about this.

Don't worry about it; it will ticket eventually.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:30 pm

As far as I know, if the status is unchanged for 3 days after booking, it would be better calling AA to unclog. It could be some issue for processing CC or some minor issue somwhere which needs some human intervention.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No. Waiting weeks for a trip that is very far off is not out of the ordinary. There's a dedicated thread about this.

Don't worry about it; it will ticket eventually.
‘Thank you. I did try using the search engine, but nothing came up. Appreciate the comment.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by bi1963
As far as I know, if the status is unchanged for 3 days after booking, it would be better calling AA to unclog. It could be some issue for processing CC or some minor issue somwhere which needs some human intervention.
‘Tried that after a week. Agent said they were waiting on a response from BA.

hHad no issue with my outbound flight which went through normal.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rstidolph
‘Thank you. I did try using the search engine, but nothing came up. Appreciate the comment.
yeah, the search here is not great. I suggest trying the "google" tab.

If you are worried you can call but if the flight is a long way away it's not worth it.

And honestly the best thing that could happen to you is that this somehow gets messed up and they put you on AA metal for the TATL leg. You will still fly J and get your BA fees refunded.

ETA: From FCO to JFK, AY is an option. It won't show up on the search as a connection but if you can find both legs (HEL-JFK is the tough one) it can be ticketed for 57.5k, though you have to call. It's a little more flight time but HEL is a much better experience than LHR, and there are no BA fees, so you save a few hundred dollars. This is my standard way to get home from FCO.
dvs7310 likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Oct 23, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by bi1963
Do this. Don't wait 3 weeks.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:21 pm

Just an update. Called AA, had a good agent after asking for a call back. He looked into the issue and said not to worry. He also said he would ask if it could be expedited. W hours later I have been ticketed.

All good.

Thank you to those who responded.
MorganB and bi1963 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:25 pm

Called reservations after waiting for ticketing with BA flight as part of the itinerary for April, I was told it takes 6-8 weeks for a BA flight segment to be confirmed by BA. I already have the BA confirmation numbers, supplied by AA email. Agent didn't want to hear that. Just wait, don't worry. No offer to expedite.

Any hints for getting a cooperative agent familiar with BA award ticketing?
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Advantage
Awards Booking 'On Request'

I tried to book an AA awards flight I had on hold 2 days ago (LHR IAH on British Airways then IAH to DFW on AA in May 2024) - i got an error on the site and so I called AA customer service. The rep processed the booking, although seemed they had trouble with the ccard but on the second attempt she said all was good - at that time I received two notifications from my bank saying a 'zero' dollar transaction had been processed from AA. The Rep told me that all was well and I should see it as 'ticketed' in about an hour.
2 days later and my card has not been charged, the points have not been deducted from my account and booking still says 'On Request''
Q: should I be concerned? I assumed that the credit card would be charged and the points deducted when the rep processed the booking? or does this happen at the time its moved to 'ticketed', and when might this happen ?
Thanks so much for any insight in advance.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 7:42 am

There are threads about this very topic. Sometimes it can take days, particularly on international trips with partner airlines, to ticket. Me, I wait a couple of days and then call; sometimes the agent can push it through online, and others will tell you that it takes time, they are overworked, and you have plenty of time so don't worry about it.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Yes, you should be concerned. If it has been more than two days, that typically means there is some kind of issue. I had the same situation a couple of times. Called in and was given the usual don’t worry message, these things take time. Long story short, the tickets sat for weeks as On Request. Eventually I got an agent who was willing to call BA and pursue the matter. The taxes had been computed incorrectly (just by a dollar or two) and the tickets were waiting for manual intervention by BA which the BA rep admitted was never going to happen because they were in the wrong queue. This happened twice on separate occasions , so I would keep calling until you get an AA rep who is willing to determine what the exact issue is. Interestingly, I had the exact same experience in that I could not book them online because of error messages and had to call in to get an agent to book for me.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by robbymc
I tried to book an AA awards flight I had on hold 2 days ago (LHR IAH on British Airways then IAH to DFW on AA in May 2024) - i got an error on the site and so I called AA customer service. The rep processed the booking, although seemed they had trouble with the ccard but on the second attempt she said all was good - at that time I received two notifications from my bank saying a 'zero' dollar transaction had been processed from AA. The Rep told me that all was well and I should see it as 'ticketed' in about an hour.
2 days later and my card has not been charged, the points have not been deducted from my account and booking still says 'On Request''
Q: should I be concerned? I assumed that the credit card would be charged and the points deducted when the rep processed the booking? or does this happen at the time its moved to 'ticketed', and when might this happen ?
Thanks so much for any insight in advance.
Yes, be concerned and call again. Had this happen a couple months ago. 3 days of being on request with no pending charges to my credit card. I call back and the agent noted there was a problem and they needed to rerun the card. Ran it and tickets issued while still on the phone. I asked why I didn't get a notice via email or phone call and she said she didn't know, "it just happens." Luckily I called a few hours before the original hold was going to expire since she said its possible the BA leg would have been removed from the itinerary.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:31 am

I ticket a lot of reward flights on ba using aa miles, normally they go from on request to ticketed in an hour or so or basically never until I call, the reservation is normally fine just a kink in the ticketing, now sometimes it will say on request even though it has been ticketed, do you have a locator code for the ba reservation when you pull it up on line? If so you can pull up the ba flight on the ba ap and see if there is a ticket number, I always check on that especially if I change anything along the way
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing something I've never seen before...

I put an award on QR metal on hold while I looked for a return flight. Then an hour or so later I went to purchase it, and on the purchase screen it showed 0 miles + $42 in fees. That's obviously wrong; it should be 70k miles + $42. So I didn't try to ticket it, instead I backed out of the payment screen and called in. The agent confirmed that it was 70k and booked it for me. She said that it would take a while to ticket, which is fine.

So, no miles have been deducted yet. The reservation no longer shows up as on hold, but it's also not pending or on request. It just looks like a normal ticketed itinerary. I'm sure it's not ticketed because I didn't get a confirmation email with a ticket number and the miles were not deducted.

On the other hand, I booked my return normally, and it's on request, and the miles have been deducted, which is what I'm used to.

Is my outbound in a bad state? Do I need to call back about it?

ETA: And, in fact, my return already ticketed. It took half an hour or less. These are both QR metal awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.