Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 18, 12:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 8, 12, 8:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Recent awards request using oneworld and non-oneworld airline partners about one month away took four days on request, and required a call to get an agent to get the process finished. After that, ticketing was immediate and I received an emailed receipt within the hour. (Once I saw the "Pending" ever 72 hours including only normal work days, I decided to call.)

Purchased tickets to Perú and return took a couple of days.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 15 at 10:31 pm Reason: Update
Old Oct 23, 14, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
"Ticket pending" after upgrade - problem?

I'm running into a bit of an odd situation after redeeming miles for an upgrade, and I'm wondering how worried I should be.

Yesterday I booked two AA metal tickets for an upcoming vacation: a round trip BOS-LAX-DFW-BOS for myself, and a one-way LAX-DFW-SDF for a travel companion. They are (obviously) on separate PNRs; it may be notable that my ticket is associated with my US FFN. I waited until they both showed "ticketed" and displayed a ticket number, and then called to process the mileage upgrades (so a total of three one-way upgrades).

Right now, I am seeing the following:

1) The one-way itinerary shows seats in F and status "ticketed."
2) The round trip shows seats in F and status "ticket pending."
3) My credit card shows the upgrade charges for the one-way itinerary (listing the PNR), but none for the round trip.
4) My AA account has been debited twice for 15k miles (not three times).
5) I received an email from AA that looks like automated fraud prevention -- it lists the two 15k transactions, and says "If by any chance you did not authorize these miles to be deducted, please contact us so we can assist you."

None of these facts seem to line up. Two mileage deductions would suggest the round trip got upgraded, but the ticket and credit card charges clearly suggest it's the one-way that is fully processed.

I'm wondering how aggressively I should follow up on this -- it's only been about twelve hours, but the fact that the one-way trip processed so quickly makes me nervous that something is hung up on the round trip.

Is there any risk that I will lose my upgrades before this process resolves itself, or am I safe because the PNR shows a booking in A with seats confirmed?

Thanks for the advice; this is a very different process than I'm accustomed to.
Old Oct 23, 14, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Is there any risk that I will lose my upgrades before this process resolves itself, or am I safe because the PNR shows a booking in A with seats confirmed?
I'd call in if it isn't resolved sometime today. There's no downside to doing so (aside from a few minutes of your time); however, the downside of *not* calling in could be losing your upgrade and/or the ticket being cancelled.
Old Jan 28, 15, 12:49 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
TATL biz award booked but not ticketed

So I booked an AA award on mostly US metal TATL biz recently when TATL space was wide open.

It's still not ticketed >72 hrs later.

Should I be concerned.
Old Jan 28, 15, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post
So I booked an AA award on mostly US metal TATL biz recently when TATL space was wide open.

Should I be concerned.
1, What does the current online status show?
2. When is the trip?
3. What did AA say when you asked?
Old Jan 28, 15, 9:19 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
On request

JULY

Could take 24-48 hrs
Old Jan 28, 15, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT
I booked 2 tickets over the weekend. One ticketed within a few hours, the other was still on request 72 hours later. I called, and they kicked it back to the ticketing desk, where they had to resolve a "system error" before it would process. Not sure how long it would have been left in that state, but I suspect a while. I would HUACA.
Old Jan 28, 15, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton View Post

Should I be concerned.
We've merged your query into the existing thread. The wiki might provide some insight into what's occurring. /Moderator

You'll want to "ride herd" on the requested award at this point, but not become unduly concerned yet.
Old Feb 17, 15, 5:20 pm

i have an award that was ticketed (9W, CX, AS) then made a change so it was 9W, AA, AA (first segment stayed the same).

my current ticket status is on request. the changes were made on 2/5; it's now 2/17 and it still says on request.

i called AA and they said they haven't processed it yet because there is snow on the east coast but not to worry as they'll eventually get to it.

what to do?
Old Feb 18, 15, 5:33 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Simply don't know whether this question is better in this forum or where I posted it:

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
...yesterday I purchased an Alaska metal AA-codeshare # on AA.com in order to use a $50 discount I had.

The status of the reservation is still showing "on request" on AA.com.

Is that normal? How long do such usually take to ticket? While I'm not too worried about exit row/bulkhead seats disappearing (the flight is in May), I would like to get the AS PNR so I can make sure I'm able to select a seat et al.
Old Feb 22, 15, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA
Another award ticket on my side, J on Etihad and Qatar. It's been a bit more than 48 hours but still "On Request". I called AAdvantage but the phone lines are busy due to the snow/ice on the east coast. The flight is about 4+ weeks out...

Will try again, hopefully it's just a delay and it'll go through soon. My previous award flights on JL and CX went from On Request to Ticketed within 24 hours usually.
Old Mar 9, 15, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by gameover98 View Post
Another award ticket on my side, J on Etihad and Qatar. It's been a bit more than 48 hours but still "On Request". I called AAdvantage but the phone lines are busy due to the snow/ice on the east coast. The flight is about 4+ weeks out...

Will try again, hopefully it's just a delay and it'll go through soon. My previous award flights on JL and CX went from On Request to Ticketed within 24 hours usually.
did yours end up going through ok?

I just booked 2 internatianal award tickets on Sunday, and another today. The one I booked today has been ticketed, but the two I booked yesterday still say 'on request' , and the odd part about it is the on request date is '03/13/14'. a year in the past?? I've tried calling AA several times, but the agents all seem clueless. They say it looks ok, and just to wait. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old Mar 9, 15, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bergo View Post
did yours end up going through ok?

I just booked 2 internatianal award tickets on Sunday, and another today. The one I booked today has been ticketed, but the two I booked yesterday still say 'on request' , and the odd part about it is the on request date is '03/13/14'. a year in the past?? I've tried calling AA several times, but the agents all seem clueless. They say it looks ok, and just to wait. Any suggestions on what to do?
Since this involves a web glitch, I'd call Web Services and see if they can clarify that.

As to how long it might take to go from on request to purchased, that can vary.
Old Mar 10, 15, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Since this involves a web glitch, I'd call Web Services and see if they can clarify that.

As to how long it might take to go from on request to purchased, that can vary.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried calling the number listed for Web Services, and it went to a cellphone voicemail. I've tried calling ticketing back as well and they said I just have to wait. The rep mentioned that there doesn't seem to be a backlog and it should clear soon.. I'm not so sure of that.
Old Mar 23, 15, 4:35 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
I have a strange issue happening. While re-ticketing two separate reservations after a schedule change involving a route change, my reservation stays in "Ticketing Pending" for several days, but my Fiancée's ticket, which is identical to mine (and using the miles from my account) is ticketed within a few minutes after the reservation is confirmed. The first time it happened, I called AA and they said the ticketing process sometimes takes a few days, but this is the third time it happens, so something must be going wrong.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: