Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:16 pm

I’ve had a JL award “On Request” for 2.5 weeks now. Every time I call the agent assures everything is fine and there’s nothing to do to expedite.

Travel isn’t until March but the cabin is filling up and I want to assign seats next to each other (there two of us on separate PNRs and the other is already ticketed).

Any suggestions or magic words on how to get it pushed through aside from more HUCA?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold
award tickets on BA flights on request for a week

I booked 2 premium economy awards on BA operated flights issued on Jan. 9. I have an AA conf # and a BA conf # but the miles have not been deducted from my Advantage account and the reservation says "on request". I have not been ticketed yet. The flights are not until September. Should I call AA or wait some more to be ticketed? I got a great redemption rate and don't want to lose the seats.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:42 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
There is another thread that sort of deals with this but long story short… it can take several weeks to ticket with BA if your flight is months away
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by dw
There is another thread that sort of deals with this but long story short… it can take several weeks to ticket with BA if your flight is months away
I looked at that thread for advice. I also just called AA, they can't push the tickets through now and said to wait. They told me I won't lose the seats but I'm not sure I believe them.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:30 pm

Believe them. I just did the same thing. It took a 2 or 3 weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Message them, worked for BA and JL - instant ticketing in my case
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by slice
I’ve had a JL award “On Request” for 2.5 weeks now. Every time I call the agent assures everything is fine and there’s nothing to do to expedite.

Travel isn’t until March but the cabin is filling up and I want to assign seats next to each other (there two of us on separate PNRs and the other is already ticketed).

Any suggestions or magic words on how to get it pushed through aside from more HUCA?
Did you get this figured out yet? I booked last week for travel in March. Want to add an infant and called JAL but they said AA needs to ticket it first....it's showing as On Request...
Old Jan 16, 2024, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I looked at that thread for advice. I also just called AA, they can't push the tickets through now and said to wait. They told me I won't lose the seats but I'm not sure I believe them.
This was ticketed 6 hours after I called. Maybe the call bumped me up on the list. Now I have to monitor as I wanted a biz award but there was no availability. I grabbed what I could and hope over the next 9 months business award seats will open up and I can change.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
(deleted)

Last edited by chriseng; Jan 18, 2024 at 8:49 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
When the hold extends to the day of the flight, when does it get cancelled, if not ticketed? Is it 2 or 3 hours before the flight departure time, does anyone know?

Last edited by nk15; Jan 26, 2024 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nk15
When the hold extends to the day of the flight, when does it get cancelled, if not ticketed? Is it 2 or 3 hours before the flight departure time, does anyone know?
I believe award holds for close in flights expire 2 hours before departure.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:27 am

Reservation status "on request"

Hi all,

Made a cash reservation through AA.com last night for flights in September (LHR-SEA-OAK, SFO-LHR) with all segments on BA (AA codeshare) except the SEA-OAK segment that is on AS. All in J. Never received any confirmation emails but when I load up the booking using the PNR given after the payment page, I can see that the reservation status shows up as "on request". I can load up the booking on BA's website (but cannot select seats) and it doesn't load up at all on Alaska's website.

I did come across previous threads about this but they were all a few years old and also related to award tickets, hence my posting this (apologies for any duplication). Just wondered if I should just sit and wait patiently, or give AA a call?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Pilou
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:40 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pilou
Hi all,

Made a cash reservation through AA.com last night for flights in September (LHR-SEA-OAK, SFO-LHR) with all segments on BA (AA codeshare) except the SEA-OAK segment that is on AS. All in J. Never received any confirmation emails but when I load up the booking using the PNR given after the payment page, I can see that the reservation status shows up as "on request". I can load up the booking on BA's website (but cannot select seats) and it doesn't load up at all on Alaska's website.

I did come across previous threads about this but they were all a few years old and also related to award tickets, hence my posting this (apologies for any duplication). Just wondered if I should just sit and wait patiently, or give AA a call?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Pilou
Tickets with partners can take up to 24 hours to confirm (both cash and award). Generally BA is pretty quick though. Given the flights are in September, wait for at least 24 hours from booking, then call if still not ticketed by then.
Pilou likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:13 am

Ticket "on request"

Booked an award flight which includes Japan Airlines. In my account it says "on request". On the email, it says "on hold until March 8". I booked this March 3 and after calling AA, the agent said it could take months for the ticketing to occur (the flight is for next Jan). Should I be worried about losing this reservation if the ticketing is delayed?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sgodfrey
Booked an award flight which includes Japan Airlines. In my account it says "on request". On the email, it says "on hold until March 8". I booked this March 3 and after calling AA, the agent said it could take months for the ticketing to occur (the flight is for next Jan). Should I be worried about losing this reservation if the ticketing is delayed?
No, once you put it through for ticketing you're not going to lose it. It doesn't have to ticket before the original on-hold date expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.