Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I would call - I have had ticket pending quite a few times and generally moved to ticketed within 24 hrs - when it has stayed at pending for over 24hrs it did require a call - all times required my Credit Card info again and then it moved to ticketed quickly after the call.
The Alaska flight within it was cancelled almost immediately after booking and, apparently, my credit card was rejected too!

So the agent managed to get an AA connection instead and after three attempts - poor guys and gals working at home with dodgy systems! - got the card to go through.

Even managed to charge me in my card's local currency to avoid the 3% fee.

So good job all round. AA on the 020 London number pick up immediately and always seem to sort things out.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
I have an award ticket on hold from this morning that will cost 25,000 miles. I currently have 9,000 miles in my account so I am planning to purchase 16,000 miles so that I can finalize the reservation. I logged in, clicked the reservation, and saw the following messages:

​​​​
"Please call to purchase your trip. We are unable to complete the Purchase of this reservation online. Please contact AAdvantage Reservations."

I tried calling AA but the hold time is over 4 hours. If I go ahead and purchase 16,000 miles will I be able to complete the reservation online? I am worried that if I can't get through to someone before midnight and I lose the reservation, the same ticket is now 35K miles so I will not have enough to purchase the new award ticket and I will have wasted $300 on 16,000 miles.

**Update** I was able to purchase the 16K miles and complete the reservation over the phone with an AA rep.
GlobalMatt likes this.

Last edited by tkelsay; Apr 11, 2021 at 11:01 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:10 am

On Hold advice needed

Five days ago I booked an award itinerary on aa.com to return to thev USA. First leg for a domestic flight to Madrid was on Iberia. All flights on the selected itineray were available for award miles and AA provided a locator code.
To date no ticket has been issued but the original reservation states it is On Hold until today.
I do have more than enough miles in my account and CC in my profile.
How can I best get this ticketed?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
AA does have a method to hold an Itinerary, if you are an AAdvantage member, did you for sure go through the full purchase process? i.e. give them Credit Card payment for taxes and fees? they do issue a record locator for "held" tickets. if it is just on hold there should be a button to Purchase when you pull up the record locator RT
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Five days ago I booked an award itinerary on aa.com to return to thev USA. First leg for a domestic flight to Madrid was on Iberia. All flights on the selected itineray were available for award miles and AA provided a locator code.
To date no ticket has been issued but the original reservation states it is On Hold until today.
I do have more than enough miles in my account and CC in my profile.
How can I best get this ticketed?
I'm confused, when you originally booked it did you put it on hold or ticket it?

If you put it on hold, just sign back into your account at aa.com, pull up the reservation, and click through to purchase it.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:19 pm

Clarification

Change to ON REQUEST from On Hold was made after I spoke with an AA CSR. 5 days ago.
Iberia has responded to AA with their own generated confirmation code, which when entered shows the full itinerary which I had booked thru AA. All flights listed on the Iberia website are shown as "Holding Confirmed"

Why is the ON REQUEST taking so long to reach TICKETED status? Who can I talk to to get some resolution?

* My original routing was thru CLT. I was advised via email to call AA. When I called in I was told no alternatives were available for at least 10 days from my desired date.
I went to aa.com and found an award itinerary which presumably the CSR could not see. I booked to hold the desired flights and called in to AA and that agent using my new locator number processed the itinerary.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelsay
I have an award ticket on hold from this morning that will cost 25,000 miles. I currently have 9,000 miles in my account so I am planning to purchase 16,000 miles so that I can finalize the reservation. I logged in, clicked the reservation, and saw the following messages:

​​​​
"Please call to purchase your trip. We are unable to complete the Purchase of this reservation online. Please contact AAdvantage Reservations."

I tried calling AA but the hold time is over 4 hours. If I go ahead and purchase 16,000 miles will I be able to complete the reservation online? I am worried that if I can't get through to someone before midnight and I lose the reservation, the same ticket is now 35K miles so I will not have enough to purchase the new award ticket and I will have wasted $300 on 16,000 miles.

**Update** I was able to purchase the 16K miles and complete the reservation over the phone with an AA rep.
If purchased with $$ how much would it have been?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Change to ON REQUEST from On Hold was made after I spoke with an AA CSR. 5 days ago.
Iberia has responded to AA with their own generated confirmation code, which when entered shows the full itinerary which I had booked thru AA. All flights listed on the Iberia website are shown as "Holding Confirmed"

Why is the ON REQUEST taking so long to reach TICKETED status? Who can I talk to to get some resolution?

* My original routing was thru CLT. I was advised via email to call AA. When I called in I was told no alternatives were available for at least 10 days from my desired date.
I went to aa.com and found an award itinerary which presumably the CSR could not see. I booked to hold the desired flights and called in to AA and that agent using my new locator number processed the itinerary.
Just give AA a call and see what the hangup is. It can sometimes take a few days to fully ticket a partner award (from on-hold or on-request) but 5 days is usually too long. Don't worry, you're not going to lose your flights, but sometimes an agent needs to check or push things along.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:51 am

Pending but first leg missing!

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just give AA a call and see what the hangup is. It can sometimes take a few days to fully ticket a partner award (from on-hold or on-request) but 5 days is usually too long. Don't worry, you're not going to lose your flights, but sometimes an agent needs to check or push things along.
Very long call back times (more than 10 hours) or call back after 5 hours then 10 hours on hold!)
My original itinerary processed by a CSR and sent to me via email, which I’ve been waiting on as it has passed thru to “pending” status, now when I check aa.com with my locator number no longer lists my domestic Iberia flight (which is still an operating flight scheduled by Iberia).
How could AA have dropped the first leg of my itinerary still using the same locator number with no communication? Why is no one able to be able to correct the simple problem?
I am again waiting a most likely long callback. Problem going on for 10 days now! How can I get an experienced AA agent to sort this out?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:53 pm

I've just had to cancel five partner award tickets, in order to reschedule the trips. The first three were on Qatar. Those miles were redeposited into my account within 5-10 minutes each. (A very pleasant surprise.)

The last two were on ATN. It's been about 8 hours and these miles are still not redeposited to my account yet and the cancellations are also not showing up in my activity summary either yet. However I do have the cancellation confirmation emails for both tickets, and the ATN/PPT trips are deleted in my account summary. Will I need to call to have the ATN miles redeposited?

Not sure how long to wait out them showing up automatically or if they will. Or is it only oneworld partners who are automatically redeposited?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I've just had to cancel five partner award tickets, in order to reschedule the trips. The first three were on Qatar. Those miles were redeposited into my account within 5-10 minutes each. (A very pleasant surprise.)

The last two were on ATN. It's been about 8 hours and these miles are still not redeposited to my account yet and the cancellations are also not showing up in my activity summary either yet. However I do have the cancellation confirmation emails for both tickets, and the ATN/PPT trips are deleted in my account summary. Will I need to call to have the ATN miles redeposited?

Not sure how long to wait out them showing up automatically or if they will. Or is it only oneworld partners who are automatically redeposited?

I just called to ask status / have them reinstated. Agent said she could see them but they weren't linked to my FF number, which she said is why the miles weren't credited automatically. Not sure how that's even possible, since the system won't let you purchase an award ticket without first entering your account information. But the agent said they'd be redeposited within the hour.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:33 am

Finally ticketed correctly, thanks to assistance from an AA CSR and a supervisor!
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:36 am

Problem apparently was with Iberia approving their short connecting flight.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:37 am

I have an award reservation that I created and put on hold 4 days ago to fly on JAL. When I created the hold it said I needed to purchase it by tonight at midnight. So I purchased it yesterday through the website, but the status still says "On Request" at the moment. My question is if my flight has to be ticketed within the 5 day hold deadline (ie tonight), or will it be OK if the ticketing doesn't happen today and it stays "On Request"?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by BananaFusion
I have an award reservation that I created and put on hold 4 days ago to fly on JAL. When I created the hold it said I needed to purchase it by tonight at midnight. So I purchased it yesterday through the website, but the status still says "On Request" at the moment. My question is if my flight has to be ticketed within the 5 day hold deadline (ie tonight), or will it be OK if the ticketing doesn't happen today and it stays "On Request"?
I've waited to the last hour to purchase on-hold awards, and my experience is that as long as purchase is submitted prior to hold expiration, I've haven't had a problem with getting it ticketed.
BananaFusion likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.