Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Hold", "Pending", "On Request", "Purchased" and "Ticketed" Status: What does it mean?
Purchased or award itineraries may both show one or more of these

Your itinerary may show as on "Hold"; this means you may have not paid for it yet, or it may indicate your action to purchase (award or purchase" hasn't processed yet. Keep an eye and call if it doesn't process to "On Request" or "Pending" fairly quickly.

Your award or purchased itinerary may show as "On Request", "Pending", "Purchased" or "Ticketed" when you look at it online. To travel you need a "Ticketed" itinerary with a ticket number. AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers (e.g. #0012345678901), not a six letter (on AA) PNR*. On UA, 016-, etc.

If one is traveling in months or weeks, it could take a day or more to pass from "On Request" or "Pending" to "Purchased" and on to "Ticketed", depending on whether it needs verification from partner airlines (can take 72 hours or more weekends and holidays) or go to the Rate Desk for approval.

Flights not on American Airlines, American Eagle, or AmericanConnection® are on a request basis only. Fares and availability are subject to change. (aa.com)
Q: Why are revenue tickets on other airlines on a request basis only?

A: Other airline reservations are on a request basis only and may take 24 hours or more for confirmation. In addition, some airlines require post-booking reconfirmation of reservations made on aa.com. Please check with the airline for more details. (aa.com)
AA Conditions of Carriage, Section I(a)(2): "No person shall be entitled to transportation except upon presentation of a valid ticket."
Your itinerary online will reflect ticketing condition:

Pending or On Request mean your itinerary is essentially an offer, which might require processing for fees and taxes, approval and confirmation by a partner airline, etc. This can take 72 hours - longer over weekends and holidays, or if the trip is some time away.

"Purchased" or means the ticketing has been approved, but is awaiting issuance of a ticket.

"Ticketed" means you now have a Ticket Number (AA ticket numbers begin with "001" followed by 10 numbers, E.g. #0012345678901) - emailed to you; or, from your booking on aa.com, when you select "Print Receipt", you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number.

When you see your itinerary online, additionally you will be able to "Print a Receipt" with ticket numbers if your itinerary is fully accepted and ticketed. If it is not and you can only "Print Itinerary" rather than "Print Receipt", the ticket has not been issued as yet.

If Print a Receipt option is not available despite status being Ticketed, copy and paste the following URL into your browser on the same page as the displayed trip.

Code:
https://www.aa.com/reservation/printItinerary.do?forward=itineraryReceipt&isReceipt=true&anchorLocation=%2Freservation%2FfindReservationSubmit.do+aacomTripDashBoard_jsp&url=%2Freservation%2FprintItineraryReceipt.do
By travel time, you need one (or more) Ticket Number - do not presume to travel with just the six letter PNR. The ticket number is the "gold standard"; a PNR recycles, and is merely the handle for an itinerary.
To check your ticket's validity, fare class, detailed fare rules, etc. go to the AA Refunds site and enter your AA ticket number and you can see your ticket information before getting to a refund request.

You can select "Request a Receipt" or "Request a Refund"; prior to processing the refund request, you can see the detailed fare rules.

See post #261 for further information on checking ticket validity using the Refunds site.
*In the airline and travel industries, a passenger Name Record (PNR) is a record in the database of a computer reservation system (CRS) that contains the itinerary for a passenger, or a group of passengers travelling together. A PNR is merely a record of an itinerary; it does not imply or replace true ticketing. Your ticket numbers are evidence you have purchased an itinerary and the airline has approved and permitted it.

AA PNRs (passenger name record, aka itinerary or flight confirmation number) is always comprised of six letters (other airlines may use numeric as well), is merely a temporary handle for your itinerary. It ultimately "recycles" some time after the PNR is cancelled or used up.

The ticket number (AA also uses "document number") is thirteen numbers, and the airline designator for AA is "001" (UA is "026", etc.) Ticket numbers are the gold standard, indicating you really do have a ticket, and may be necessary in requesting adjustments, refunds, improperly assigned mileage credit, etc.

With AA you should receive a ticket number on the e-ticket email, and on the receipt. Unfortunately, the exceptions seem to be award tickets, where sometimes we must do a bit of digging.

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.
Print Wikipost

Ticket or Award status: On Hold, On Request, Pending, Purchased and Ticketed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:09 am

My AA reservation says "On Request" after 24 hours and I am unable to select seats (I booked by phone). I booked transatlantic flights with AA and one of the legs is a codeshare with BA. Does anyone know why I can't select seats on the AA flights? In case it matters, I booked through AA Vacations (highly recommend as I basically got three weeks of car rental for free).
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:18 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
I have an upcoming partner award on QR and BA (Comair) for 2022. The final BA/Comair segment cancelled and the replacement segment caused the ticket to need a reissue.

I called after seeing the ticket listed as "on request" over the weekend and "ticketed" yesterday. However, I never received any additional confirmation email from AA.

Two questions for the gurus:
1. Does not receiving the confirmation email mean there is like some issue ticketing somewhere?
2. When calling again, what should I ask the agents to specifically check for to ensure it is properly ticketed?

Thanks so much for your sage counsel!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I put a ticket on hold and bought it a few hours later(revenue INTL J, all AA metal).

It's been pending for almost 12 hours now... is this common for just a straight forward R/T INTL J when buying from a held PNR? It's the first time I've purchased directly from the hold function. And will I be protected for the $ amount I booked for(it's almost $1000 higher now...) when I call in to get it ticketed? I'm used to just purchasing and receiving a ticket instantly on AA. Always on aa.com

Thx for your help!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yesterday, I called to change an existing award. MCI-ORD-LHR-ATH, with the LHR-ATH segment on BA.

The only change I made was to the BA segment - they had an earlier flight come available with award seats. It's still a 4 hour connection at LHR. I figured this would be straightforward. The AA agent processed it quickly and it immediately showed in my account as "on request" with the new flight.

24 hours later, I'm still hung in "on request" status. I cannot edit the reservation online. Do I need to call again to get it dislodged from "on request"? I've had lots of cases in the past where an int'l award with partner metal took a couple hours to process, but never an entire day.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Yesterday, I called to change an existing award. MCI-ORD-LHR-ATH, with the LHR-ATH segment on BA.

The only change I made was to the BA segment - they had an earlier flight come available with award seats. It's still a 4 hour connection at LHR. I figured this would be straightforward. The AA agent processed it quickly and it immediately showed in my account as "on request" with the new flight.

24 hours later, I'm still hung in "on request" status. I cannot edit the reservation online. Do I need to call again to get it dislodged from "on request"? I've had lots of cases in the past where an int'l award with partner metal took a couple hours to process, but never an entire day.
FWIW I had a similar Award (USA-LHR-EU) with only the final leg on BA take around two days to go from On Request to Ticketed about a week ago. I called at 24 hours to see if they'd push it through and all they did was tell me it was fine and to be patient.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm at 4 days now...still in "On Request" status. Phoned AA and will hopefully get a callback today....no estimated time at all for the callback (just greater than four hours).
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:25 am

I'm at 4 days now...still in "On Request" status. Phoned AA and will hopefully get a callback today....no estimated time at all for the callback (just greater than four hours).
I'm on day 4 of a ticket pending, and it's all on AA. Twitter has told me twice now that I need to be patient. yet, I've booked another flight all the way through to ticketed in the interim. The tickets were initially on hold, so that's the only thing I can think of as to why it's taking so long. But I'm not willing to cancel and try to rebook as the price (miles) has significantly increased b/c of an equipment change and less business class seats.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:35 am

I just posted this in the other thread about hold times, but I feel like I need to get some unique troubleshooting on this one. Something's going on different from the normal Hold / Pending / On Request / Ticketed workflow we see with partner segments on AA awards.

I can log into BA and see my segment on their end. I can even purchase seats if I want.

On AA, it not only shows as "On Request", but there are the following messages:
  • We'll hold your trip (through Jul 15, 2021)
  • Buy miles
  • Finish booking your trip
None of this makes sense. First, uhhh, it's 2022 now. Second, the trip is already booked, the miles consumed, and the changes are due to AA's reroutes and all seats in the same award bucket as the original booking.

I can't change my seats on the AA segments (although what I have from before still appears intact). Clicking "change my trip" just says I need to call AA.

For reasons I don't understand, this ticket is in some sort of messed-up state, even though it's a rather plain vanilla trip with 1 BA segment and ample connection time at ORD and LHR. It's is a standard AA coach award, 4 passengers, three family members who live with me plus me, from my AA account. Two of us are AA members, me an LT Gold, with Global Entry numbers in our account, and two are our children. There's nothing weird about this booking that I can tell at all.

Yesterday, I finally got a late-night callback from AA (15 hours after I called them), and the agent said "nothing is wrong with your trip, I see the ticket numbers." I asked her to email them. She said she did, but no email was sent.

It's clear something is going on that normal phone agents can't see.

Any idea to whom I should try to direct an inquiry, and what "code words" I should use to not get the canned responses that On Request and Pending are normal statuses and that I should be patient? At one point last night, the agent used a phrase that seemed to have meaning - she said it might need something called "queue review". But she couldn't tell me what was unusual about the ticket that would cause that, who does "queue reviews", or when they happen.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:41 pm

Update: I contacted the Twitter team back on the 6th, they replied on the 8th that the change appeared to have been ticketed. Yet in AA.com, it still said "On Request" and I could not edit the itin at all. Couldn't even touch my seat assignments.

Last week, I began looking at other one-way options, thinking that if this didn't resolve itself I may have to pull the trigger on another option and try to get the miles redeposited.

Then today, out of the blue, I got an email - it's been ticketed. No idea what happened, why it hung in an error state for several weeks, why both the call center and Twitter team thought it was *not* in error then, and how it got out of the error state now.

But it appears resolved, so that's good!
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:49 pm

Update: I contacted the Twitter team back on the 6th, they replied on the 8th that the change appeared to have been ticketed. Yet in AA.com, it still said "On Request" and I could not edit the itin at all. Couldn't even touch my seat assignments.

Last week, I began looking at other one-way options, thinking that if this didn't resolve itself I may have to pull the trigger on another option and try to get the miles redeposited.

Then today, out of the blue, I got an email - it's been ticketed. No idea what happened, why it hung in an error state for several weeks, why both the call center and Twitter team thought it was *not* in error then, and how it got out of the error state now.

But it appears resolved, so that's good!
There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason on how long it takes to go from on hold to tickets. I've had AA award bookings that only took hours to show as tickets, and others that has took days. Last week aI made a booking and it took several days to show as ticketed. 2 days ago I mad changes to that award including changing the departing city. The changes showed ticketed wihtin a couple of hours. All my AA tickets are award tickets flying international on partner airlines, and sometimes domestic legs on AA connection to the gateway city.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Award with BA segment "on request" for weeks

I have an award flight that has a short-haul BA segment following by a long-haul AA segment that was ticketed months ago. The AA flight had a recent minor schedule change. I called so they could "fix it" or whatever it is they do when I'm ok with the schedule change. But now this reservation is showing as "on request" and it has been that way for several weeks. Also, when I pull up the reservation, it tells me I need more miles to buy it, even though I already paid for it. I had to call for other reasons after about a week, and I had the agent check. She called someone else internally and they looked it over and they assure me that everything is fine and that BA is just "a little backed up" in ticketing things. But now that it's been another week, if not two, I'm starting to get worried. Should I be, or should I just be more patient? The travel is not for several more months, so there's certainly no urgency.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I had this happen two weeks ago with a AA/BA award ticket impacted by a schedule change to the AA flights where I needed to re-route to LHR to connect to my previously confirmed BA flights.I called after the first week, agent said everything was fine. I called back at the two week mark and got a more helpful agent. She indicated BA was holding up the ticketing, not AA but also acknolweged the BA segment was coming back as confirmed. I was on hold for about an hour while she contacted the oneworld liason desk. She came back to me and was still working with the liason, took my number, and said she would call me back. She called me back about three hours later and told me everything was resolved. Received the e-mail ticket confirmation and reservation now shows ticketed (as it should) vs on request.

What was odd is she knew immediately to contact the oneworld liason, not the usual "please hold while I contact the rate desk." Not sure what the issue was, but maybe there is some truth to BA being backed up. Next time you call, ask the agent to contact the oneworld liason desk, or maybe you will get lucky and the agent will offer to do it for you.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:14 pm

I too am in some weird state where AA shows "on request" and JAL shows "Hold". It's almost 5 days now (previously never had to wait more than 24 hours)

This status is super opaque and BOTH companies reservation agents say it is now on the other company to ticket.

AA has told me two different things via different reps
  1. initially they said AA has to complete a "review" queue before issuing the ticket but that it should go through in a day or two
  2. 4 days later AA is saying that JAL has to approve the request and once they do, it will become ticketed. AA said the only reason it wouldn't go through is if JAL cancels the flight or something. But the flights (2 one ways) are still listed for sale online directly and on the book with miles site.

JAL insists there is nothing for them to do but that AA needs to "push the ticket". JAL rep even insinuated the AA reps sometimes dont know their own process.

I have no idea what to do beside continue to call them everyday until something changes.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Just adding a data point

Booked 4 J awards LAX-DFW-HEL for December back on February 16th on AA/AY. Initial ticketing was quick, but then realized I had picked a very tight connection in DFW. Called back and changed the AA segment. Status went to "on request." It just re-ticketed today -- 3 weeks and 2 days later.

I did call back after 2 weeks and had an agent double check it was all correct. AA.com was saying I needed more miles, so that was a little concerning. The CSR said sometimes there is a field that gets missed, but everything looked good with mine -- just to be patient since travel was 9 months out. If I had not already ticketed once would have been more concerned about losing the partner award space, but seeing this thread figured it would eventually get done.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:21 am

I was able to get ticketed.

I think most likely anyone who finds themselves in these situations where ticketing is taking more than a day or two is likely due to 1 of two reasons…
  1. there was a failure/glitch somewhere along the line due to a payment not going through or an issue with miles availability
  2. the booking has triggered some kind of security or partner terms review. This is what happened to me I think. I had a successfully ticketed round trip booking but I cancelled and rebooked as two one ways along with changing one of the passenger names. That must have been weird/unusual enough that it caused the booking to require either AA or JAL to manually review. My guess is those reviews are slow and prioritized by date of flight.

Below is how the last call went…
  • 6 days after being in "on request" I scheduled a call from reservation line since I dont want to wait 2-3 hours on hold. The call comes in on schedule
  • I explained situation to rep (I have been calling them everyday and told rep that I am concerned and it doesn't makes sense)
  • rep looked at my bookings and said everything seems to be in order and doesn't know why. Tries to suggest I should just wait longer
  • I keep pushing politely and she says she'll check with supervisor
  • she comes back in a couple minutes to say the hold time for a supervisor is 45 minutes, do I want to wait? I say I'll wait
  • ~45 min later rep comes back and says she spoke to supervisor and supervisor said it had to go through a queue which is normally prioritized by flight date is and since my flight was over a month away, it may take a while to resolve but hopefully within the next week.
  • I keep pushing politely, explaining how Im worried about the flight booking up and being unavailable to rebook should something go wrong with the on hold booking
  • rep says she understands and apologizes for not getting the supervisor on the line directly. Asks if I want to hold for another 45 minutes to get supervisor back and speak to them directly. I say yes I'll wait more
  • ~45 minutes later supervisor gets on the call and she says they have to verify some info with the partner airline and it's a manual process (same story basically)
  • I explain truthfully and politely the concern I have… that there is a glitch or something that would cause the entire booking to fail and how stressful this is for me. Supervisor probes a bit about a name change I had made on the booking and after hearing my explanation offers to try to reach partner airline directly and "push the ticket" I say yes , please try that
  • ~15 minute later supervisor comes back and says she was able to get it ticketed and it should show up soon. I am thankful and end the call
  • ~30 min later the status shows as ticketed online!
askias likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.