Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, US Chairman's, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
I've been through (counting this one) three mergers. Every. Single. One. has had folks making these kinds of statements. Yet, in well over a million miles of flying through all of those mergers I've never once heard someone say "Here's your dinner, I'm sorry it's gross."

What I have heard are folks who complain loudly about something and then are told "I'm sorry" by a flight attendant - why? Because they're in customer service and that's about the only thing they can do.

Further supporting the notion that all this is a bunch of hot air, the folks who swore up and down they were booking away immediately and faxing receipts? Guess what - they're still here, still complaining, and still flying.

I see a lot of nonsense and bluster in my business. It's easy to spot - and it's fairly obvious here. (if you'd like a specific example, look no further than the ultra gourmet taco that I'm supposed to ooh and ahh over because it came from the Centurion lounge. It's a greasy mess, sitting next to a pile of glop.)
Amen. I flew just this evening from ATL, and found the service pretty good considering--on par, if not better than what I've had on DL. I don't fly to eat, I fly so I can get home to eat with my family. Flight was full, and people were happy.

And is it possible to dispense with making this whole thing personal Doug Parker? It's kind of creepy. Almost like there are some old relationship issues that need to be worked out.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
UA's changes were likely in the works well prior

And all their changes are doing is bringing them up to near parity w AA and DL. Quality still not great or anything.
And not even that. UA's "new" lunches on flights between 1000 and 2300 miles is soup, a sandwich or salad, and a cookie. Can you imagine what the uproar on this board would be if Dougie did that at AA?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:02 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
What facts are you disputing? The below are all facts.
Really? If you want to keep looking like a fool, I'm happy to oblige you...

• US Airways is a low cost carrier.
  • US Airways had industry-worst meal windows.
  • The new meals of are noticeably poorer quality and come from US Airways.
  • The new meal windows are the worst in the industry.
  • American Eagle is the only regional airline that will not be serving meals as of early next year.
  • The new meals are of noticeably smaller portions on most routes.
  • US Airways has discontinued baked on-board cookies and biscuits.
  • US Airways has discontinued tray linens

About the only place US "defined" as an LCC was in its stock ticker. You clearly know next to nothing about the pmUS product. For example, the Envoy suite hard product was (and is) light years better than "premium" pmAA J.

Meal windows and food quality are simply not true. If you bothered to look at what you'd get elsewhere you'd notice that. Portion sizes are not appreciably changed.

By your definition, both DL and UA are "bare bones" given their service.

The rest of your arguments are (as usual) fact-free bluster, but feel free to continue repeating the same bunk that's unsupported by facts if it makes you feel more better.

flight attendants wouldn't have to be apologizing to customers.
... except that they're only apologizing when folks whine. Which is what any customer service professional would do.

No, people aren't going to abandon AA only because of the meal service. I'm not. People are going to be abandoning AA because of an overall cheapening of the product to US Airways-standards. PMUS was never able to attract the business/premium customers that PMAA, DL and UA have been able to, and it's poor product across the board (FF program, on board product, customer service, etc.) was certainly a driving reason. Bringing that product over to the merged carrier isn't the best idea.
... of course route structure had absolutely nothing to do with that. That would just make no sense, would it? If you're abandoning the merged carrier don't let the boarding door hit you on the way out. But since we know that arguments like yours are almost entirely bluster and hyperbole, we both know that's not going to happen and we'll all have the privilege of reading the same fact-free rants about new AA racing to the bottom of the barrel.

We're not going to agree, so I'm done here. Enjoy your complaining and delusions.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SFO777
Don't feed the trolls.
Too bad there is no way to have the Ignore List apply to quotes.
Agreed. Time to update my ignore list. There are people that have literally just joined this board for the sole purpose of prasing AA's substantially diminished on-board standards.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Agreed. Time to update my ignore list. There are people that have literally just joined this board for the sole purpose of prasing AA's substantially diminished on-board standards.
Yep... that's why folks with thousands of posts and years here (not to mention LT status on AA) are calling you on your horse manure. That must be it.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Folks, please stay on topic of this thread and refrain from lodging personal commentary directed at one another. Disagreeing with someone's position is fine, but do not make personal attacks.

Posts are subject to redaction and/or deletion. Those who cannot abide by FT's TOS are subject to discipline.

Everybody's cooperation is appreciated.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Oh, I totally beg to differ...

How were y'all's ubiquitous first class meals on non-transcon flights? Did you enjoy having to pay for preferred seats even if you were a CP? How about those plastic cups in F? Did you enjoy listening to a 10-minute presentation on a credit card? I could go on and on...
Believe it or not, I don't need a plate of salty airline surprise every time I take off in order to feel important. Or, for that matter, the lovely coach wrap on a plate. I think I've run into an issue with preferred seats maybe twice in the last 2 years as a CP. Doesn't mean I like running into that issue when I do, but the incidence really isn't often.

I did enjoy a superior hard product TATL, a choice of snacks on shorter hops (where I got a choice of snack mix or snack mix on AA), free soup in clubs if I wanted it, etc. Not to mention no YQ on partner awards or that US was a much more reliable operation in terms of both overall on-time percentage and the likelihood of an air carrier delay - trends that continue post merger through July.

Neither airline is perfect and both have warts - no one is arguing that. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Some prefer the devil they know vs. the devil they don't. Having made the acquaintance of both devils, I don't think the overall experience is that different.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Lets try and get this thread back on topic, which is discussion about the meal changes.

I am currently on DFW ANC and had the "beef" in a mustard sauce with a twice baked potato and Italian green beans. I will post photos when I am back next week. I can attest that this is the single most disgusting airline meal I have ever been served in any cabin, let alone a premium cabin. The "beef" was high school cafeteria mystery meat. This has no place being served in a premium cabin. The potato was just slop. Twice baked boxed mashed potatoes at best. And the green beans didn't even resemble green beans. Vile.

I'd go as far as saying that I am actually jealous of the coach passengers on this flight because the snack box would have been better. To add insult to injury we have an exceptionally lazy crew tonight. I was so disgusted that I resurrected an old Twitter account to complain to AA.

Whatever you do, do not order the beef in a mustard sauce. I am just glad I had my fill of brisket in the Centurion Lounge before this flight.

On a positive note, my morning LGA DFW flight was actually quite good with an attentive newbie FA in F. The French toast strata was tasty enough. But this crap on a 6h40m flight is totally unacceptable.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR

I'd go as far as saying that I am actually jealous of the coach passengers on this flight because the snack box would have been better. To add insult to injury we have an exceptionally lazy crew tonight. I was so disgusted that I resurrected an old Twitter account to complain to AA.
They must have been some of those infamous AA FAs we've heard so much about having to apologize to customers over the quality of the new meals. They were probably just totally embarrassed and didn't want to "face the crowd".
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
Lets try and get this thread back on topic, which is discussion about the meal changes.

I am currently on DFW ANC and had the "beef" in a mustard sauce with a twice baked potato and Italian green beans. I will post photos when I am back next week. I can attest that this is the single most disgusting airline meal I have ever been served in any cabin, let alone a premium cabin. The "beef" was high school cafeteria mystery meat. This has no place being served in a premium cabin. The potato was just slop. Twice baked boxed mashed potatoes at best. And the green beans didn't even resemble green beans. Vile.

Whatever you do, do not order the beef in a mustard sauce. I am just glad I had my fill of brisket in the Centurion Lounge before this flight.

On a positive note, my morning LGA DFW flight was actually quite good with an attentive newbie FA in F. The French toast strata was tasty enough. But this crap on a 6h40m flight is totally unacceptable.
Thanks for the review. DFW-ANC was definite one of the harder hit routes in the unfortunate US Airways-fication of American. Totally unacceptable for premium class on a flight longer than Boston-London. I don't think you want to know how bad the return "meal" is.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
OK….my first trip post 9/1. LGA-ORD. Our FA was fantastic:

PDB of choice (this route for some reason always has amazing FAs that do their job).
Nuts with beverage of choice (ramekins are fine and I like the new shape).

Now to the "meal"

Beef Enchiladas or Pasta. I mistakenly went with the beef and I honestly could not tell if it was beef or refried beans inside the enchilada. I stopped eating it……it was just weird.

The salad was good with ranch dressing, albeit small.

Heated cookies were served afterward which I declined.

Mints before landing.

All in all……still happy they have maintained the service levels on this route but the food quality seems to be questionable.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Thanks for the review. DFW-ANC was definite one of the harder hit routes in the unfortunate US Airways-fication of American. Totally unacceptable for premium class on a flight longer than Boston-London. I don't think you want to know how bad the return "meal" is.
I've already seen the sandwich. And I'm ready with my Twitter line. Seriously, we're being served inmate food in a premium cabin. If I wanted prison food.....

This summer AA has had a lot of paid F sold on this flight. I booked my flights six weeks out and when I booked it was F3. After booking it went to F1. Maybe some people are on MFU or Awards, but there's a good amount of paid F here so serving this meal on this length flight is unacceptable. The breakfast served on JFK DUB (which we did in 5:20 in January) was more substantive than this.... And that was after a full dinner service.

As for the FAs, I politely made my discontent known. No apology given. And, quite frankly, I wasn't expecting one.

Also, if you asked for wine with your meal you were given your wine in a plastic cup. No more glasses left. FAs also not given tongs to serve bread. Bread taken from a basket with a napkin.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Twice now between LAX-SFO coffee has been served in a cheap-o white styrofoam cup in F. Other drinks were in glass tumblers. Anomaly or are mugs being phased out for the short flights?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Tugg
Twice now between LAX-SFO coffee has been served in a cheap-o white styrofoam cup in F. Other drinks were in glass tumblers. Anomaly or are mugs being phased out for the short flights?
It would be surprising, as it would add an element of complexity to the catering they could well do without. Either miscater or FA not bothering to pull the cups out IMO.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
It would be surprising, as it would add an element of complexity to the catering they could well do without. Either miscater or FA not bothering to pull the cups out IMO.
Likely a mis-cater. All of my flights this week that were on the short side had full on coffee mugs. PDBs were in the standard US paper cup with built in coffee collar thing. Styrofoam is a legacy of pmAA, so perhaps they're burning down stock?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.